Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Invisible mountain just south of Masada?

I know there are always issues like this with strange elevations and spikes with every sim, but this is one stranger than usual.

I was starting a sunrise flight from Masada to Eilat, and took off from rwy18 at LLMZ. Just after takeoff, I hit an invisible mountain, and actually became stuck on the mountain. I wiggled the aircraft around a bit an eventually broke free, but is was pretty surprising

Does anyone else have this issue?

BTW, aside from slamming into an invisible mountain, it was a beautiful flight. If you have never been to Masada, sunrises over the Dead Sea are spectacular experience, and I think the sim really did make me feel like I was there. Very cool.

• Like 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I'd like a shot of reproducing this.  Did you alter heading, or can you hit it following the Runway hdg.  I know the Roman's spent a lot of blood and sweat building a Ramp up to Masada, but I think invisible mountains were a bit beyond their capabilities....

Either take off from LLMZ and you'll crash about 500 AGL during climb out or try an approach to the same airport. Set a minimal rate of descent, fully configured, through sea level and about three or four hundred feet below sea level (I forget exactly) you'll "land" on thin air... you can come to a stop and everything. Submitted a bug report about it a couple of weeks ago. Haven't tried it in an aircraft with a radio altimeter so I don't know if whatever is bugged shows up on one's RA.

• Like 1

Off topic. duckbilled, I haven't seen you in a while! This new bug galore aka 2020 brought up old members out of the woodwork!

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

29 minutes ago, BarnacleofDoom said:

Either take off from LLMZ and you'll crash about 500 AGL during climb out

Oh it's there all right!!!!  Didn't even get to the end of the runway.  boom, you crashed.    Tried starting at runway 36.  Same thing.  

I tried turning off all data and clearing rolling cache to revert to the base installed ortho to see if it might "reveal" itself.  Nope.  

Reminds me of the airports in "pits" issue we used to have with FS9.   The airport would have different elevation than the surrounding mesh, and it would place the airport in a pit or plateau.  But that easily showed up.   This doesn't.  

Lando Calrissian : Break off the attack! The shield is still up!

Admiral Ackbar : It's a trap!

4 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Off topic. duckbilled, I haven't seen you in a while! This new bug galore aka 2020 brought up old members out of the woodwork!

Oh I've been here. I think some people a little sick of me complaining😄

Really trying to find workarounds to make the sim flyable for more than just sightseeing. It will get there in time.

I'll say that aside from this issue, the flight I had was very nice. Scenery way beautiful, lighting was very convincing, and the Baron actually flew nicely. I think it was the first time I flew it in the sim.

• Like 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Same problem here. Just tried it twice. Second time, I stayed on the ground, past the threshold and all seemed fine. But when I doubled back and took off before reaching the runway, it happened. Darn those magic mountains!

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, duckbilled said:

Oh I've been here. I think some people a little sick of me complaining😄

Bahahaha, you and me both. It's ok, I can finally complete the flight for the first time since March. 

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |