Sign in to follow this  
chatman

How long will we really see dev support?

I fail to see the point of this post. No one here knows the answer. Asobo probably doesn't even know the answer. Talking about actual issues with the sim is fine, but the constant barrage of "the sky is falling" speculative-fail posts is getting old.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, eslader said:

I fail to see the point of this post. No one here knows the answer. Asobo probably doesn't even know the answer. Talking about actual issues with the sim is fine, but the constant barrage of "the sky is falling" speculative-fail posts is getting old.

I know it is kinda funny. The product has only been out a little over a month and already folk are asking when is it going to end. Combined with the P3D/XP boys proclaiming how their out of date platform is somehow better. It has been an odd surreal mix of nonsense lately.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, RICHUK said:

I know it is kinda funny. The product has only been out a little over a month and already folk are asking when is it going to end. Combined with the P3D/XP boys proclaiming how their out of date platform is somehow better. It has been an odd surreal mix of nonsense lately.

When i see people starting threads like this i just think of someone who wants the product to fail and is looking for others who agree with them ... really dont see any other reasons at all . 

• Like 7

Image removed as image is no longer available.

1 minute ago, rtodepart said:

When i see people starting threads like this i just think of someone who wants the product to fail and is looking for others who agree with them ... really dont see any other reasons at all . 

I couldn't agree more. There are tons of posts lately like that. Folks narcissistic popcorn munching tendencies.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chatman said:

I'm positively surprised by the developement roadmaps that are published with biweekly updates (patches and features) inside. I also read the announcements that the product will be expanded and supported over a long time. 

I just can't help wondering how long this is really going to last? I mean I have come across a lot of similar announcements in my gaming career and only very few of these promises have finally been kept. (No man's sky being one of these examples) 

What would you think how long can we expect MS/Asobo's support before we are bound to 3rd party add-ons and user workarounds for gameplay issues? 

Personally I don't expect support for more than 6 to 12 months

since you started this thread and have that mentality that this will end soon Please show me what had lead you to think that asobo/MS will cut the cord in 6mo to a year ? 

Do me a Favor and show me some really good evidence dont just come up with some weird reason that wont get you anywhere .

Edited by rtodepart
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chatman said:

Personally I don't expect support for more than 6 to 12 months

Certainly much longer. Their plan is to sell DLCs and take a cut on the marketplace. Both only works with a solid community base. And that requires a supported base sim.

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

29 minutes ago, rtodepart said:

since you started this thread and have that mentality that this will end soon Please show me what had lead you to think that asobo/MS will cut the cord in 6mo to a year ? 

Do me a Favor and show me some really good evidence dont just come up with some weird reason that wont get you anywhere .

Evidence? I don't have evidence (which is why I asked community about their thoughts) 

All I know is that MS is not doing this for welfare reasons and I don't think that they will make enough money with DLC's to keep paying a game studio for developing the game longer than the mentioned period. I might be wrong but opposite to your statement I do not want the game to fail, would be happy if the studio would keep their promises. 

But how long has MS supported FSX? I think there were some 3 patches, the last one about a year after release? 

Yes I might be wrong but don't deny me my opinion or the start of a 'speculative' thread. You want to discuss hard facts and in-game issues? Fine for me, I am (also) interested in the long term outlook. (BTW the question raised regarding what happens with servers should support end one day is a very valid one) 

• Upvote 1

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

5 minutes ago, chatman said:

Evidence? I don't have evidence (which is why I asked community about their thoughts) 

All I know is that MS is not doing this for welfare reasons and I don't think that they will make enough money with DLC's to keep paying a game studio for developing the game longer than the mentioned period. I might be wrong but opposite to your statement I do not want the game to fail, would be happy if the studio would keep their promises. 

But how long has MS supported FSX? I think there were some 3 patches, the last one about a year after release? 

Yes I might be wrong but don't deny me my opinion or the start of a 'speculative' thread. You want to discuss hard facts and in-game issues? Fine for me, I am (also) interested in the long term outlook. (BTW the question raised regarding what happens with servers should support end one day is a very valid one) 

Pessimism runs strong with this one...

I think this is just the beginning of a whole new form of simming. And it will be around for a long time at least a decade. Then something even more amazing will come a long, some kind or VR that really works with your hands and body seen and felt in the sim world, force feedback, affordable motion etc.. It is coming...

I also think the technology that is revolutionary will get better and be used in other Apps and games.

No doubt there will be drastic updates as the concept matures and expands. 

I think other sims are the ones we should be worried about. They will have to change a lot to keep up.

The audience for this sim is much bigger than the other sims put together, so there is a lot of reason to keep it going as a continuing revenue stream, both royalties from the marketplace and new additions like helis and maybe even unthought of uses. I for one jut love flying the drone cam around, with a game controller, this can be greatly expanded and will have huge appeal, at least IMHO.

I think this sim/game is a real winner and a sign of better things to come. It was very smart to release early, I for one am really helps me forget the state of the world right now, hours at a time. I don't mind the things that don't work, I know they eventually will and it is fun to figure ways around problems, and when they are solved it is like a gift or a new game all over.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

FSX was abandoned after only two service packs. Look at it and P3D now. This sim, nearly five weeks after release, even with its numerous bugs, is still a far better base platform than all that went before it.

All this "Doom and Gloom" is just so totally unnecessary, speculative and unwarranted. 

I am surprised that we are now well into the second page. Please give it a rest guys.

Tony

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 hour ago, marsman2020 said:

I give it 18-24 months.

yeah... this, most reasonable

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

5 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

FSX was abandoned after only two service packs. Look at it and P3D now. This sim, nearly five weeks after release, even with its numerous bugs, is still a far better base platform than all that went before it.

All this "Doom and Gloom" is just so totally unnecessary, speculative and unwarranted. 

I am surprised that we are now well into the second page. Please give it a rest guys.

Tony

Not to mention FSX was the culmination of how many years of evolving flight simulation design and programming?  It wasn't their only foray into the market that started and ended there.

55 minutes ago, chatman said:

My point is if you want something to succeed why ask this question so early ? If the case was different where we was seeing no response from anyone with issues after 4 or 5 months after release than I see the reason to start worrying and threads like this would make A Lot of sense and was actually more of a valid question But after only a little bit of time some patches already available 3rd partys on board for more to come I personally don’t worry about it at all . 
I actually have a VERY POSITIVE attitude about this .... 

• Like 2

I think it will be supported for quite a long time, not only they can make cash on DLC, it's also a technological showcase for both microsoft operating system and their new console.

Plus, it's a brand new product not only made for the niche aviation community. So many people around me heard about MSFS and want to play it.

3 hours ago, alexcolka said:

I don't see why Asobo wouldn't support FS for many years to come, they can milk this sim for years, DLC contents, new planes, new hand crafted airports, new modules, even new future updated imagery provided by Bing.

Not to mention educational, military, government (not only US) and manufacturer contracts.

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER