Sign in to follow this  
Guest abaragones

Finally, looking for a flight school

Guest abaragones

After many many years of flight sim (almost 10), I've decided to take flight lessons. I leave in NYC and wanted to know if anyone can help me with some tips on the best way to search for a flight school (i.e location, safety issues, rates, etc). I know nothing about it, and know no one that is a RP. Any suggestions will be very much appreciatted.Thank you!

Guest abaragones

Excellent resources! thank you very muchIt is harder than what I thought.....time to star the research!Thanks again

Guest BobLee

In addition to those resources, log on to www.avsig.com. It is one of the oldest, and best, aviation sites online. Populated by pilots of all types and experience. Go to the training section and ask your questions. There are numerous pilots from the NYC area on there from various airports and they can probably give you some advice. I'm from Connecticut and learned to fly at White Plains (HPN) and Danbury (DXR), but there are folks on AVSIG who should have more up to date information. Good luck!

Hi, Im from the UK, but I choose to learn in Naples, Florida. So far its going great, got my PPL in 4 1/2 weeks. Next up i've got 8 months of ground school :-)

Alaister Kay

Guest BOPrey

Try these --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Atis- Select Aviation Farmingdale , NY Aviate Right Inc. Farmingdale, NY Aviation Training center Inc. Schenectady, NY BK Aviation Farmingdale, NY CTL - Flight Training NY Flight Schools NY Nassau Flyers, Inc. Farmingdale, NY Select Aviation Academy E. Farmingdale, NY State University of New York at Farmingdale NY --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest DreamFleet

Try CDW, which is about 30 minutes from the GWB. There you will find:Air Fleet Training Systems:http://www.airfleettraining.com/index.htmCentury Air (owned by a retired American Airlines captain)http://www.centuryair.com/cfa/cfa_dyn_home.asp?cid=1Mac Dan, which is the top FBO at the airport.http://www.macdan.com/If you live in Manhattan, travel time is everything, and we all know what trying to get out to the island can be like. New Jersey can be an excellent alternative.Now, which school would I pick of the three at CDW?Go for Century, as that is all they do.The others are also very good too!I base my plane at CDW, so I know what's there.As to prices, none are cheap, and Century is most likely the most expensive.If you want to travel out to MMU (Morristown, NJ), then you also have American Flyers there, but they are also on Long Island too.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest abaragones

Thnak You Guys, I visited most of these schools, and discarded th ones that where asking me to prepaid for the lessons. I think I am going with Nassau flyers, so far, the one that I like the most.Thanks again