Sign in to follow this  
grof

FSX missing lakes and rivers

Guest PF2006

Hi FSX users,Am I alone being deeply frustrated because Microsoft choose a data system which does not reproduce lakes and rivers that where there in FS9 and before in rural areas? Just to tell, there is a Lac Beauchamp just a thousand feet north of CYEY on which the otherwise excellent FSX Beaver would land if it was there. And there is actually an Harricanna river crossing Amos city in his middle, except in FSX world.But I know, someone will say: Who cares about a missing lake in such a place! Well, am I alone?

>Hi FSX users,>>Am I alone being deeply frustrated because Microsoft choose a>data system which does not reproduce lakes and rivers that>where there in FS9 and before in rural areas? Just to tell,>there is a Lac Beauchamp just a thousand feet north of CYEY on>which the otherwise excellent FSX Beaver would land if it was>there. And there is actually an Harricanna river crossing Amos>city in his middle, except in FSX world.>>But I know, someone will say: Who cares about a missing lake>in such a place! Well, am I alone?If this is Canada, there was a prior discussion a few weeks back with a few third party scenery designers. Perhaps you can search under "Holger".At least out of this version, I've gotten two lakes back, that's been missing for years.L.Adamsonedit: "Holger" in advanced search as author. Thread titled, What happened to lakes & streamsI'll see if this link works:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

Guest PF2006

Thanks Adamson,Read the post linked and...I wonder: if your hit by a drunken driver and a passerby say to you: "Don't worry, the ambulance's coming." Are you then confident that the driver will do better?In other words, I know, I am assured, I'm confident that Scenery Solutions or an other third party will patch a way out. It will be nevertheless a patch to something that should have been at least equal to FS9, should'n it?P.F.

Guest player1

Genesee River gone too:There is a place in upsate NY called Letchworth State Park,it is affectionately known as the "Grand canyon of the east", it is a beautiful gorge with the Genesee cutting thru rock with many falls twists and turns and is one of the few rivers that flows north, it travels tens of miles and on through Rochester and spills into lake Ontario, in FSX it is there only for a few miles in Rochester, simply stops just south of the Airport, the beautiful Mesh of the Letchworth is dry, no river nothing

There is a whole lot more rivers and lakes missing in Canada than just those.The data for Canada and much of Europe is worse than FS9 and actually appears to be similar to FS98.I'm sure UT will fix it, but it shouldn't have to fix something that was partially accurate in a previous version of the sim!FSX, so much potential but terrain data LESS accurate than FS9 is not really acceptable in my book. Along with FPS, it's my only real complaint right now.

I'm having a hard time believing that it is worse than FS9??? FS9 was absolutely horrible in New England as far as water was concerned, and required FreeflowNE or Ultimate Terrain to fix it.I haven't done too much comparison at this point, but the water around KASH is spot on now, even down to the pond on the airport grounds.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Canda and much of Europe is a lot worse than FS9.USA is covered pretty well with the Navteq data.

Hi FolksThe FSX data system will fully reproduce lakes and rivers.It's just that the source dataset didn't include the info.FSX is a phenomenal step forward.Why ?FSX is unlike FS9,in that FSX uses GIS industry standard methodsfor creating all aspects of the geophysical worldThis means that available datasets, (commercial or otherwise),can be relatively simply ported into FSX.Hence the incorporation of the Navtech road dataset,originally generated for in-car GPS software.Airports are another matter entirely,as these datasets, (even if they exist digitally),are the property of the airport's owner.Even in a limited area like the UK, there are lots of owners.The sourcing of datasets is really a commercial matter,if you can get the info, & licensing to incorporate & distribute,then the world's now your oyster.(If you can afford the toolsets). Just for info -FSX utilises the most widespread/used standard, the ESRI shapefile,(albeit in a compiled bgl format).Basically it's a database of points, (with xyz properties),which can be linked as lines,and 'closed' to create polys.These points, lines, & polys,can all hold additional data,such as a type, texture, etc.HTHATBPaulhttp://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpg

Guest PF2006

Hello guys!Thanks all for the comments.And for the sake of it, may I say that the ambulance has arrived: Scenery Solutions offers a temporary fix for those who have UT for FS9. I'm going to use it but I will nevertheless think that Microsoft should have done better.P.F.

.. about Europe,Just see Budapest (LHBP), there's an "unknown" river: Danube..or not :(>There is a whole lot more rivers and lakes missing in Canada>than just those.>>The data for Canada and much of Europe is worse than FS9 and>actually appears to be similar to FS98.>>I'm sure UT will fix it, but it shouldn't have to fix>something that was partially accurate in a previous version of>the sim!>>FSX, so much potential but terrain data LESS accurate than FS9>is not really acceptable in my book. Along with FPS, it's my>only real complaint right now.>>