Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Blackbox widebodies A330 & A340

I am trying out the demo mode for these planes.So far so good IMHO. I had to use Ctrl-E to fire up the engines, but hey, I didn't dive into the tutorial, just got the products installed saw that the sim is OK with them. This beta installed and the sim fired up without a hitch..so far.. :cool:

Took off from Dubai so as not to stress my rig out with full photoreal and EGCC, managed to get to grips with the autopilot and autothrottle - weird throttle detent noises which I believe is true to the real thing  - put the throttles into the autothrottle zone and let it do it's job. Unlike a Boeing they don't move. Thus, a nice straight & level 250 knots at 5000 feet. It hand flew nicely up to that point also, I might addMy opinion is that the 340 (I tried the Big One first of all) is good and possibly definitely worth some of my money.

Now to the can of worms... What doesn't work in this FSX beta (0.87 I think)? Will it be a showstopper given that my usual long haul flights are done by firing a flight plan into the default FSX and letting the FSX ATC vector me about to intercept an ILS etc. I don't "think" its 30-odd quids worth of trash...:unsure:

Cheers.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I got the 340 for P3Dv4, it's.... kinda good.... BUT, there is a Deal Breaker for me

The flare law is a disaster, you can't properlly land it manually, as I see on fourmal, it's all the same cross their airbus famliy.

And it's been there for years without fix, the so-called 0.9 is still not to see on horizon...

My advice is don't buy, untill the 0.9 really came out and fixed that.

• Like 1

Hmm.. Well I managed to manually land the 340-300 ok last night. It SEEMED to behave fine, but I'm not a pilot.. Can you explain a little more please?:unsure:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

As long as you can get past the 'prologue' and 'it's coming' claptrap that BBS have been promising for literally years, and take all that with a pinch of salt to accept that they are what they are, and you are happy with the freebie test of what the BBS Airbuses can do (which is recommended rather than going off what others say), then they actually are worth having. I've got their A330, A340 and A321 and whilst they don't rival the FSL one, for what they are I think they're okay. They have a great livery manager (which is much better than the FSL system) and they have a great load planner too.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

42 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Hmm.. Well I managed to manually land the 340-300 ok last night. It SEEMED to behave fine, but I'm not a pilot.. Can you explain a little more please?:unsure:

Basiclly I feel the nose just kinda freezed after 50' RA, and I need to pull almost full to get a normal flare, BUT, after touchdown, it "unfreezed" and if you still holding your stick, suddenly the nose will gose up a lot.

More on this:https://client.blackboxsimulation.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/185/fly-by-wire-touchdown/p1

• Like 1

I noticed the spiffy load planner and did get the tutorial underway.  I'll have to do some more landings - I'm sure I flared - even got a nice "10" shoutout after the 'bus called me a retard :biggrin:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

I've done about 3 circuits and bumps at Cork airport with the 340-300. It seems I'm flaring to some degree, but perhaps I'm letting the stick go to neutral once the mains touch.. not sure.... I can tell this is meant to be a FBW jet - I could leave the stick centred and she would continue the rate of descent as if the autopilot was flying.

In any case, the touchdown attitude, rightly or wrongly seems fine to me, but I'm not a 'Bus Driver.. Interesting replay shenanigans: I note that the FSX replay function doesn't reset the BBS plane for approach, visually at least - I did one replay where the ground spoilers were still deployed... because I'd activated the reply whilst they were deployed. The screenshots below are done with a reply after I'd retracted the spoilers... (nor does the PFD show the airspeed or descent rate - I went back into the VC to see what my FPM was at touchdown..

Example screenshots below:

yWRBYLe.jpg

3hcwmq8.jpg

vEmP486.jpg

Mark Robinson

18 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Now to the can of worms... What doesn't work in this FSX beta (0.87 I think)?

The manual! I tried the demo, but I could never find it..

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

When I installed the product it came with two pdf documents - a quick start guide and the tutorial, but if you mean a full aircraft manual then I couldn't fine one either! :biggrin:

Mark Robinson

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

When I installed the product it came with two pdf documents - a quick start guide and the tutorial, but if you mean a full aircraft manual then I couldn't fine one either! :biggrin:

Reading the manual is for pussies. 🤣

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Precisely why I used Ctrl-E to get it started the first time before I discovered the rotary switch aft of the engine switches.. :biggrin:

Mark Robinson

I just installed this for the first time in years. For some reason the two right side engines on the A340 will not stay on. I have tried Control + E but it spools up and then just dies after a few seconds. Anyone have an idea of what is going on here? To the right of N2% on the ECAM it shows "XX" for each of those two engines.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

@PilotPete99 - is there anything untoward on the overhead panel? Did you turn off the fuel cocks on a previous sim session with another, different aircraft? I've no idea, just throwing these questions out there.

I have Tim Conrad's freeware TurboPorter and it will not start up unless I press CTRL SHIFT F4 (mixture full). Due I think because I've set the mixture lever to off in the default Cessna. 

Mark Robinson

45 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

@PilotPete99 - is there anything untoward on the overhead panel? Did you turn off the fuel cocks on a previous sim session with another, different aircraft? I've no idea, just throwing these questions out there.

I have Tim Conrad's freeware TurboPorter and it will not start up unless I press CTRL SHIFT F4 (mixture full). Due I think because I've set the mixture lever to off in the default Cessna. 

Thanks Mark - After restarting P3dv4 twice I think the problem is gone. It was odd because the A330 didn't have this problem. 

Cheers, Pete

• Upvote 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot