Sign in to follow this  
MauBen

The keys to happiness with MSFS 2020.

I posted this in a Facebook group already, but I think this is a different and I believe much more mature audience 🙂

Be a kid again, hop into a taildragger, buzz around your neighbourhood and annoy the neighbours. 

Try to land in a tight spot in the bush somewhere.

Splash down on some lakes with the Icon. 

Shut off the engine at random and try to land somewhere with power off (it happens). Don't cheat and use power if you get too low.  Guaranteed to wake you up in a hurry and make your heart race. Also guaranteed to make you smile from ear to ear if you land safely.

Poke holes in the clouds and marvel at the scenery. 

Explore new exotic places you will never see in real life. Get yourself in trouble in a tight area in the mountains and see if you can get out of it alive. 

See what if feels like to get caught in a very bad storm in a small plane. 

If you feel daring, hop in the Extra 300 and just try to take off and do some rolls and loops. 

If you do any of those things, you will re-discover your inner child and have a ball, while forgetting about the shortcomings of MSFS, for a while anyway.

If you only like Big Iron, keep using your other programs, check out MSFS from time to time and try one of the things above. You may discover big is not always best or more fun.

Finally, act like an adult and accept that instant gratification is not always possible. Enjoy what works now, and hope for an even better future. Trust that Microsoft and/or Asobo will keep improving this product. If they don't, nothing we can do despite our disappointment and/or anger. Life will go on.  😃

• Like 18
  • Upvote 4

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

25 minutes ago, MauBen said:

but I think this is a different and I believe much more mature audience ...

Oh, you poor, poor, deluded person! :biggrin:

Ahem. You viewpoint has a lot of merit I think.🍻 Thank you.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

34 minutes ago, MauBen said:

I think this is a different and I believe much more mature audience 🙂

Hi hi, ha ha, ho ho, you must be new around here. 

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Oh, you poor, poor, deluded person! :biggrin:

LOL. How true.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Hi hi, ha ha, ho ho, you must be new around here. 

Just hopeful 😅. And yes, I'm quite new.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MauBen said:

Welcome!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MauBen said:

Well you can hope....But welcome, and I do agree with a lot of your post.  Just the other day, I was in my C172 and felt awful small next to the clouds I was in.  Never once have I felt intimidated by clouds in a sim until now. I also enjoy the freedom of the Icon.  I hope the Grand Caravan float variant makes a return.  Much more appropriate for bush flyers than the Icon.  How else am I going to ferry fishermen from Kodiak, to the fishing rivers on the island that can only be reached by air or boat?

I'm also encouraged by the fact that the filter has "water runways" included but there doesn't appear to be a seaplane airpark yet.  This tends to lend me to believe that it is there for future expansion.

This is how I'm dealing with it....

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Welcome aboard! Keep that optimism alive.  Glad you are enjoying it as it is and seeing value in it!  Hopefully it gets better and you continue to enjoy it for many years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MauBen said:

I posted this in a Facebook group already, but I think this is a different and I believe much more mature audience 🙂

Life will go on.  😃

What a ridiculously...

sensible post!

MSFS had changed sim flying for me. I quickly grew bored of GA aircraft in FS9 and FSX, but now the vast majority of my flying is in GA. Sure, I'll fly more time in the big 'uns when they improve (and I get my Honeycomb yoke) but that yoke will also make the GA flight better than with the gamepad I'm forced to use for now. Onwards and upwards, quite literally!🙂

Edited by 109Sqn
typo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I went through the profile tab for the first time yesterday [ahem] and some of the badges and challenges look really fun. Take a peek sometime...

And to the OP, all I can say is AVSIM is the absolute bastion of civil conversation and maturity...welcome.

This is one of the best motivational video for GA flying

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

18 minutes ago, DylanM said:

I went through the profile tab for the first time yesterday [ahem] and some of the badges and challenges look really fun.

And when the profile functionality gets fixed, it may even be possible to earn all of them!

Sorry, that was negative!🤐

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

One of the things I do to increase my low heart rate 😂

• Like 1

Always used sims for more seriuosly flying... you know program the FMC and stuff in XP or FSX, I was chasing giraffes in the Cub! Landing next to them and looking them walking around me! 

• Like 3

Alexander Colka