Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

MSFS 2020 is the best thing to happen to flight simmers

It doesn't matter if you love or hate MSFS 2020. And quite frankly, I get both sides of the argument. But one thing we can all agree on. The launch of MSFS 2020 dropped a bomb on this industry and now P3D and XP are hard at work figuring out how to answer the juggernaut that is MSFS. And that is GREAT for us simmers. If anyone thinks LR or LM are going to roll over and not answer, they are underestimating them. If you are a P3D or XP fan you are in for some goodness in the future, as new partnerships are formed, and those teams are forced to up their game. I am not saying they were slacking before, but now it is on.

No matter how word not allowed off you are that your MSFS 787 or A320 can't fly or land worth a @#$%, you can thank MSFS 2020 and all the bugs it has for shaking up our often forgotten and little loved hobby. Thanks to Asobo and MS this is truly going to be the golden era of flight simulation, regardless of the sim you prefer most. 

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Well maybe... P3D and XPlane have their own development plans in place, and MSFS is not exactly delivering what they do..

Possibly there is room for all three, each doing what they are good at..

MSFS is first and foremost an Entertainment Title and they have yet to show that they can support serious flightsimming..  A year from now?  Who can say.. 🙂

• Like 8

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

MSFS is first and foremost an Entertainment Title and they have yet to show that they can support serious flightsimming..  A year from now?  Who can say.. 🙂

Amen for now. A far cry from the OP's Hallelujah attempt. 

Edited by Dirk98
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Well maybe... P3D and XPlane have their own development plans in place, and MSFS is not exactly delivering what they do..

So Bert, you are saying that P3D and XP looked at MSFS and said...well, we have our own development plans? Neither of those development teams every struck me as being incompetent but you are saying they might be doing their own thing and ignoring MSFS? Sorry, but that is ludicrous. And if by some miracle you are right, both will be out of business in 5 years. They have to answer. And that answer will be good for everyone. 

And let's not forget who created this industry in the first place. Microsoft is up to the task. That has never been debatable. 

Edited by RobJC
  • Like 5

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

23 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

MSFS is first and foremost an Entertainment Title and they have yet to show that they can support serious flightsimming..

"Serious" flightsimming.

Every time this term (or "study level") comes in up a post, I spit coffee/beer/tea/water/fava beans all over my monitor and fall back on my chair.

MSFS can support "sErIoUs" flight simming just as well as XP, P3D, FSX, flightgear, or even Aerofly in the right hands.

The SIMMER is the variable, not the platform. I can execute flights in the 152 that get a serious as real world if I want. Realign your expectations and way of thinking and embrace the leap in technology this platform does and will continue to provide.

Seriously.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 5

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

2 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

Realign your expectations

Bert, after almost 14k posts here on Avsim and 2K+ reputation you don't even need to notice those "suggestions" from says who?...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

It would be fare to compare default P3D and XP version as they got initially released before patches and improvements. Then we could see how  "serious" flight simmer would stack up there 🙂

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

48 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

+1 ² ...  CNHSIBM....

My flight today from Clevaland's Burke Lakefront Airport to Chicago Midway was in the RXP GTN 750 equipped Milviz B55 Baron.  NMNBS.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

14 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Bert, after almost 14k posts here on Avsim and 2K+ reputation you don't even need to notice those "suggestions" from says who?...

+1².   GWOS!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

18 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Microsoft is up to the task. That has never been debatable. 

You are making a lot of bold statements.... Where you around when Microsoft shut down the Aces group and discontinued FSX, selling off the rights to LM and Dovetail?

Were you around when Microsoft launched MS Flight with great fanfare, and then dropped it shortly thereafter?

Have you ever dealt with the Microsoft support staff on any issue?

If I were P3D or XPlane, sure I would have a look.. but not necessarily change a thing.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bert

16 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

While my post count may not indicate that I have the benefit of spending my retirement all day on the internet, a simple check of my join date should surely qualify me for at least one or two opinions.

I've been here about as long as you Dirk, the difference being I know when to open my mouth. 😉 

EDIT: for the record, my issue isn't with Bert. (He's a wonderful source of information and anecdote) 

It's with the notion that one needs a special kind of software to have a realisitc experience. Perhaps that's not explicit enough in my initial post.

Edited by ZLA Steve
  • Like 4

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

5 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

It would be fare to compare default P3D and XP version as they got initially released before patches and improvements. Then we could see how  "serious" flight simmer would stack up there 🙂

It would not, simulation wise they were far far ahead right off the bat. It's like going ABC again, talking about eye-candy, visuals vs flight simulation proper.

Edited by Dirk98

If Microsoft will timely respond to the various model, weather, and ATC shortcomings and also timely partner with a legit avionics developer then most of this bantering would vanish and we would all just fly...

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

It would not, simulation wise they were far far ahead right off the bat. It's like going ABC again, talking abut eye-candy, visuals and simulation proper.

Really? We are taking initial version with default aircraft !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Asobo is working on it. Give them time.

It took ESP almost 15 years to reach the state it's at which is still pretty flawed at a base level. MSFS isn't even a year old.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1