Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

DX12 Coming

I'm pretty sure at the press event at Renton airport they stated they would eventually transition to DX12, so it's not new news. But considering everything else they need to do I wouldn't expect this any time in the next 2 years.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Espana Pete said:

Before I get my head bitten off I should state that I am technically challenged. I know I have read that MSFS only uses about 4 out of the  12 threads (or cores) of my cpu. What I cannot remember if this is due to the fact that the app does not use Direct X 12 ? So my question is, will Direct X 12 if and when it arrives, enhance the performance? 

MFSF uses all 10 cores on my CPU but four of them are more in work, yes Direct X 12 will probably enhance the performance significantly.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Upvote 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yep...I (8 GB's) probably will....under DX12, I can' run a major feature of P3D (E.A.)  over my preferred slider settings...for that takes me into Vram DX12 budget exhaustion...and I CTD.

That is the reason, I use 4,5 at the moment for IFR.

Its not the best Sim but the stressfree Sim at the Moment 😉

Stephan from Germany

My System

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yep...I (8 GB's) probably will....under DX12, I can' run a major feature of P3D (E.A.)  over my preferred slider settings...for that takes me into Vram DX12 budget exhaustion...and I CTD.

Its not the best Sim but the most stressfree Sim at the Moment 😉

Stephan from Germany

My System

DX12 needs to be implemented well. I guess ASOBO has a bit of an advantage in that regard.

I'd be surprised if they don't already have something in the works with a team of 200 devs.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Where is this news?

They always said it will come. And "in the future" means: "We do not even have an internal roadmap for this". So don't expect it to come within the next 24 months.

• Upvote 1

Pros devs say that a native DX12 code is one thing, DX11 ported one is another different one, where the second one is 30-40% only as efficient as the native solution.

59 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Where is this news?

They always said it will come. And "in the future" means: "We do not even have an internal roadmap for this". So don't expect it to come within the next 24 months.

I'm torn here... In one of the interviews Jörg Neumann said VR isn't far from release (whatever that means), and I don't see them doing VR without massive performance improvements... I may be wrong here, but I reckon DX12 is needed in order to push the framerates up to ~90fps for VR.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

For VR in flight sims, 45fps will work fine with reprojection/spacewarp making up for the missing frames. In a civillian flight sim, your surroundings are very rarely moving very fast like in action games or race sims, where a few can't tolerate reprojection.

In DCS World it's pretty much impossible to reach 90fps in VR unless you have hardware well beyond what mortal beings can attain, and even in a fast combat aircraft 45fps with reprojection is fine, unless you're flying really low really fast and are really sensitive to reprojection.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

For VR in flight sims, 45fps will work fine with reprojection/spacewarp making up for the missing frames. In a civillian flight sim, your surroundings are very rarely moving very fast like in action games or race sims, where a few can't tolerate reprojection.

I don't really have experience with VR yet, so just trying to wrap my head around it: reprojection means, the flightsim draws the environment at maybe 40 fps, wraps it onto a sphere (or part of it), and the effect of your head movements is updated at 90fps relative to the photosphere? 

Seems like a viable approach, as you said civil flightsim doesn't need high framerates just to update the image contents...

Edit: That would also mean DX12 isn't really necessarily coming with VR... If reprojection works well, I'm ok with the framerates MSFS reaches on modern hardware. 

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Asynchronous reprojection is the technical term. Oculus calls it spacewarp or timewarp. It's basically extra frames that the VR driver generates based on the preceeding frames and the direction of your head movement. A rendered frame doesn't just contain pixel colour values, but also pixel depth values, which can be used to reproject or "warp" the frame in the direction of movement, with close pixels moving more than pixels in the distance, which creates a usually pretty convicing sensation that the VR headset is running at a higher frame rate.

Edited by JacquesBrel
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

Asynchronous reprojection is the technical term. Oculus calls it spacewarp or timewarp. It's basically extra frames that the VR driver generates based on the preceeding frames and the direction of your head movement. A rendered frame doesn't just contain pixel colour values, but also pixel depth values, which can be used to reproject or "warp" the frame in the direction of movement, with close pixels moving more than pixels in the distance, which creates a usually pretty convicing sensation that the VR headset is running at a higher frame rate.

Ahhh thanks for the explanation! Didn't think of the pixel depth values, this should actually give a pretty good approximation to full rendering! 

Edited by pstrub

4 hours ago, sal9000 said:

Its not the best Sim but the most stressfree Sim at the Moment 😉

I don't get this--I do ONLY IFR flights in MSFS and all is well!

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

5 hours ago, Ixoye said:

MFSF uses all 10 cores on my CPU but four of them are more in work, yes Direct X 12 will probably enhance the performance significantly.

Usage of multiple cores does not account for a rendering engine that's able to send draw calls to gpu from multiple cores.

Multiple cores can be used for other stuff other than draw/render calls, like simulating systems and avionics, simulating the flight model and overall real time simulation we have in flight simulation that has none to do with graphics.

Dx12 and other low overhead api are safe in the regard of rendering in a threaded envirnment, unlike dx11, it's more about getting the cpu overhead out of the way so the gpu can work it's charm. 

Not an easy task, assuming MS would want to do as it should be done rather than low quality port, this may result on the need to re write many parts of the rendering engine and pipeline, as many of the stuff used to be done by the driver are now required to be done by apps = more work for the developers, but much more control, predictable and straight forward fps fixing.

Addons may break too.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Upvote 1