Sign in to follow this  
Kronzky

Fix for plane pulling excessively to one side

If you have a hard time keeping your aircraft straight on the runway (or it pulls to the opposite side it's supposed to), adjust the value for engine_wash_on_roll in flight_model.cfg.
If its negative the plane will pull to the right, positive will pull to the left, and zero will make it go straight.

Or, just fly twins or jets.........Or practice more.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

For me it is usually just a brake pedal stuck so I give a good hard kick to my rudder pedals a few times and all is good.

Note to self - buy some new pedals - Thustmaster pendular look promising.

This has nothing to do with practice or controllers.

It's a plane setting that seems to be put in as a placeholder, to be fine-tuned later on, but they probably never got around to do it.

All single-props have the same value in there (+1.0), even though some planes pull less than others IRL. For example, the Caravan I'm normally flying has a tilted engine, in order to counter this pull, and, according to pilot reports, require minimum input for runway pull, but in the configs it has the same values as any other plane, and if I don't do constant corrections I'd end up in the ditch.

So, something isn't quite right in the configs...

Edited by Kronzky
  • Like 1

Single engine prop planes should pull left with the application of power, but I agree it's way overdone. I just don't like putting bandaids on things by randomly changing variables. Just hold right rudder on takeoff. The real problem is that they yank to the left on landing as well. Which is completely unrealistic. 

• Like 2

And for those that do not want to change file variables, but really don't want the excessive pulling on the runway, the easiest way is to go into  ASSISTANCE-PILOTING and turn on the 1st selectionm AUTO RUDDER ON TAKEOFF.  Then one just flys a straight line down the runway when taking off and after landing.

• Like 1

We're trying to determine if this is realistic or not, not to be told to "practice more".  I'm going to take a wild guess and say that most planes won't roll inverted on you if you take your hands off the controls for a few seconds.  If I'm wrong, and this is real behavior we should learn, great.  If 2020 happens to be right and every other sim/addon we've flown for the past couple of decades are wrong, let us know.  Again, I'm going to guess that this behavior is greatly exaggerated.  

We want to fix unrealistic behavior, not practice doing it wrong.  

Edited by kerosene31
  • Like 3

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

This is from the DA40_NG

engine_wash_on_roll = 1 ; Torque effect
rudder_engine_wash_on_roll = 0.2 ; Torque effect

I'm not sure that I want to begin playing with figures here as some of you have noted; but, the second line:  rudder_engine_wash_on_roll.....do you think that is what has the plane darting to the left on landing?

24 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Single engine prop planes should pull left with the application of power, but I agree it's way overdone. I just don't like putting bandaids on things by randomly changing variables. Just hold right rudder on takeoff. The real problem is that they yank to the left on landing as well. Which is completely unrealistic. 

The plane should react depending on how propeller rotates: clockwise or counterclockwise. Traditionally in US in to the left due to clockwise rotating prop as it seen from the cockpit.

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

19 minutes ago, dschaum said:

This is from the DA40_NG

engine_wash_on_roll = 1 ; Torque effect
rudder_engine_wash_on_roll = 0.2 ; Torque effect

I'm not sure that I want to begin playing with figures here as some of you have noted; but, the second line:  rudder_engine_wash_on_roll.....do you think that is what has the plane darting to the left on landing?

I haven't tried the second one, but if you want to find out what it does, just make it negative, and see if it now pulls to the other side.

On the Caravan that value is actually 2.0 (so, ten times what you have), but I don't notice excessive pull on landing (it was just the takeoff that was ridiculous).

10 hours ago, LarryD said:

And for those that do not want to change file variables, but really don't want the excessive pulling on the runway, the easiest way is to go into  ASSISTANCE-PILOTING and turn on the 1st selectionm AUTO RUDDER ON TAKEOFF.  Then one just flys a straight line down the runway when taking off and after landing.

I'm thinking this might be my best bet!  Currently have assistance off but trying to take off and land on centerline is really just a case of hoping for the best! 

On take off, throttle on results in the plane pulling dramatically to the left, in a way that would result in an immediate aborted takeoff irl, nothing realistic about it, and then if by some miracle I manage to correct it, half way though the take off roll the torque effect seems to flip and it will start pulling dramatically to the right.  (TBM930) It's really just a race to V1 before all control is lost on the runway. 

Landing, well as soon as the wheels hit the runway, the plane lurches one way or the other resulting in the plane fish tailing down the runway.  Like something you would see in Grand Theft Auto.  Joystick sensitivity @-90%. 

Hoping this gets fixed properly at some point.  

10 hours ago, Kronzky said:

This has nothing to do with practice or controllers.

It's a plane setting that seems to be put in as a placeholder, to be fine-tuned later on, but they probably never got around to do it.

All single-props have the same value in there (+1.0), even though some planes pull less than others IRL. For example, the Caravan I'm normally flying has a tilted engine, in order to counter this pull, and, according to pilot reports, require minimum input for runway pull, but in the configs it has the same values as any other plane, and if I don't do constant corrections I'd end up in the ditch.

So, something isn't quite right in the configs...

I completely agree with you. I’ve been messing with the tbm flight model config file and I’m having some good success with my changes. The pitch, yaw and ground handling are much more respectable of a plane that size.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

10 hours ago, kerosene31 said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that most planes won't roll inverted on you if you take your hands off the controls for a few seconds.  

lol, maybe if you put a  R-4360 Wasp in an ultralight 😄 or the p38 on one engine would 😄 

But in terms of any single in FS2020 definitely not.

" If 2020 happens to be right and every other sim/addon we've flown for the past couple of decades are wrong, let us know. "

Ommmm mani padme...every sim a fake, now behold the truth, Praise As So Ba !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

hey guys i just got msfs 2020 and some planes pull hard to one side left or right specially the cessna 152 but the cessna 172 and the king air don't pull as much this is very excessive i flew xplane 11 and the pullling to the left is normal but not in msfs 2020.

Edited by pelgrin21