Sign in to follow this  
RW1

REX Weather Force 2020 for Microsoft's Flight Simulator

Well seems like thunder is working in a generic scenario in game selection - not quite sure why thunder sound was not working in cockpit with REX - sure was outside scared the word not allowed out of me lol 

As for wet runways etc. maybe REX has it so certain conditions have to be present for that to happen - maybe they can over aggerate the wet look of the ground when raining 

Weather seems less cookie cutter looking to me - meaning clouds and lighting appeared different than I was experiencing before 

Rich Sennett

31 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

the program is not the second coming as you describe but an interesting hack

You are being diplomatic. Is it not that interesting of a hack. Is it filling a gap in with MSFS as it currently stands? Sure, but MSFS is very much under active development. I’m not sure how much REX’s product is. Maybe it’s worth it. To my knowledge, Asobo hasn’t articulated what if any plans they have to address the concerns with live weather so who knows. 

• Upvote 1

Chris

this program is terrible. Did we just get scammed out of $21? Weather isn't changing at all while I fly.... 80nm away from destination airport and still same weather, LOL!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Robert Edwards said:

this program is terrible. Did we just get scammed out of $21? Weather isn't changing at all while I fly.... 80nm away from destination airport and still same weather, LOL!

Maybe contact support instead of calling it a scam. Thanks 

Edited by fs1
  • Like 7

Federico Sucari

16 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The MSFS SDK is far far far from complete, much more can accomplished in other platforms. 

Good luck in getting Asobo to shift priorities.

A lack of completeness does not necessarily equate to level of priority.  Asobo recently stated they have hired a technical writer to accelerate SDK documentation.  PMDG and Aerosoft have both been complimentary on their collaboration on the SDK with Asobo.  I don’t see evidence that their priorities need to “shift.”  It’s probably taking longer than all parties hoped, but that’s not the same thing you implied.

• Like 7

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

tell me how/why I'm still flying with KRSW weather nearly 100nm away? I'm about to land at destination and still have the departure airport weather.

I'm not understanding something so can someone please answer one simple question for me:

What does this REX weather add of value to MSFS?

I'm not trying to be snarky, it's an honest question.  I mean, default MSFS weather models weather cells around the area which can be seen and avoided and flown through, and to be honest I'm very happy with how the weather is depicted in stock MSFS.  From what I've read in this thread the REX addon instead models the weather at the point of the plane but then extends that same weather across the world?  Is this correct?  And if it is, then who would want that?

What am I missing here, because I think I'm just not understanding something.....🤔

Edited by Mengy
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The MSFS SDK is far far far from complete, much more can accomplished in other platforms.  REX are working within the confines of the SDK, I think a more productive route (rather than bashing REX) would be to take up the SDK limits with Asobo.  

Many developers have issues with the current state of the MSFS SDK from PMDG to REX to many other DLC providers.

Good luck in getting Asobo to shift priorities.  Wait and hope the SDK gets better is the only current option.  If folks want to apply pressure and bash, the send that message to Asobo, not DLC providers.

I know many of you think it’s taboo to suggest anything negative about MSFS, but reality differs ... send the message to Asobo.

Cheers, Rob

I would be surprised if asobo has any real say in the matter considering Microsoft hired them to make a Microsoft product. 

on another note, you seem somewhat bitter when it comes to msfs. Is it because of the state it’s in? Or is it because there’s a rather large group of people who are quite happy with msfs regardless of the state it’s currently in? I’m genuinely curious.

• Like 7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Let me get this straight...REX puts out a product that forces the new weather engine in msfs back to a design of other older sims and then markets it as some brand new things for msfs. When in reality, it’s just REX selling software to the community in hopes of making money off the fact that people don’t like change and want there old sim weather back. 

one of the best things about msfs default wether engine is the fact that I can see weather from a distance when I’m flying. It’s different and changing. It’s different everywhere....at one time. 

• Upvote 3

Matt kubanda

32 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The MSFS SDK is far far far from complete, much more can accomplished in other platforms.  REX are working within the confines of the SDK...

They aren't "working within the confines of the SDK"  they are ignoring the SDK, and the fact that it has no provision for them, and applying a hack to do what they want.  I don't really have a problem with this, most of the beloved addons made for other sims were not within the bounds of those SDKs either.  PMDG, majestic, orbx, etc... all hacks.  REX have said as much on here themselves.  I don't have any particular criticism of this product, as I don't own it, and everyone is aware that the SDK is not fully baked.  but, if in the rush to have something available for the new sim you release a hack, and it causes issues, you can't blame Asobo for that.  Some guys can't help but push the agenda all the time.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Let me get this straight...REX puts out a product that forces the new weather engine in msfs back to a design of other older sims and then markets it as some brand new things for msfs. When in reality, it’s just REX selling software to the community in hopes of making money off the fact that people don’t like change and want there old sim weather back. 

one of the best things about msfs default wether engine is the fact that I can see weather from a distance when I’m flying. It’s different and changing. It’s different everywhere....at one time. 

That's cute - - but when it's 12 hours old or nowhere close to reality, what's the point?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

Can you help me out  - why am I hearing thunder outside cockpit but nothing inside - I have all sounds 100% thanks 

Do you have headset sound set to Realistic?  It should be under Options->Sounds or something

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 minutes ago, Robert Edwards said:

That's cute - - but when it's 12 hours old or nowhere close to reality, what's the point?

Edited by ahsmatt7

Matt kubanda

1 minute ago, Robert Edwards said:

The point is a full simulation of the air mass, which METAR based weather cannot give you.  Both approaches have their positives and negatives.  what is the real sim benefit of exact matching current conditions exactly? Other than obsessing over whether it's "right"

• Like 1