Sign in to follow this  
RW1

REX Weather Force 2020 for Microsoft's Flight Simulator

13 minutes ago, Bottle said:

I'm at a loss to understand why having a depiction of the realtime weather is so important to some people.

I think the following is a good example of why, and certainly demonstrates my point of view.

I had just finished a circuit of YBBN (touch and go) using the duty runway (01R) in P3Dv4 verified by REX Sky Force and an internet BOM metar.

I got out of P3D and into MSFS .. time difference of perhaps 3 minutes and using live weather I was allocated runway 19L. I rechecked BOM and it still indicated Runway 01R.  There is an obvious error here which is annoying (to me) and I do not believe it is in P3Ds court. 

If REX Weather Force corrects this, in any way, it has to be a plus for the simmer in my opinion.  if actual live weather is not a requirement for individual simmers then, obviously there is not going to be a requirement for REX input.  I think the difference here is the emphasis on "as real as it gets" for MSFS. The reality is that live WX in MSFS is not "as real as it gets" despite how good it is in portraying weather.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I wish Asobo would correct their

1. promissed as real as it gets weather within the MSFS simulator directly and
  2. for the future give us the possibillity to use historic weather.

This should not be a problem, both, as NavBlue stated they have ALL the data. 

For requierment 1 it must be a bug, as NavBlue stated they have all the weather related data shifted in "horzontal and vertical" layers (and that where LOST of them) to match the real world conditions on every place on earth at every level on earth up to FL XXX.

If requirement 1 is working correctly (and it clearly does not alsways), REX Weather force gets useless on this USP, if requirement 2 is coming as well (IF), again REX weatherforce becomes useless as well on this USP.

Why should I buy this addon? I am patience as I also have to wait for some Airliners to come within hopefully the next 6 to 12 months.

Search for Metar based on some filters is already possible via "normal WWW". So no usefull function for me.

Implemented weather/meteo OUT OF THE BOX  is a bigger USP for MSFS to me. To match my expectations some bugs must be eliminated and some corrections on the dipiction to. But I am sure this will happen.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

1. A lot of addons are solutions in search of problems. What specific issue/problem is REX Weather Force addressing or solving?

2. I expect a weather engine to, at minimum, do the following: If I take of from airport A, I expect to see the weather accurately depicted in the sim. If the weather changes enroute, I expect that to be reflected in the sim, preferably with smooth transitions. As I'm approaching my destination airport, I expect to see accurate weather. For me, the default MSFS weather engine does this quite accurately. How does REX Weather Force improve on this?

3. My two biggest issues with the way weather is depicted in the sim are: a. at an airport the cloud ceiling seems to be very low. It's almost as if I could stand up and my head would be in the clouds. b. I suspect this is why the sim is always extremely dark when there is a thick cloud cover. Does REX Weather Force solve/address these issues?

Thanks!

1. Simple answer is it solves erroneous weather depiction at weather stations and injects corrected Temp, QNH, Winds, Cloud and forecast winds @ FL it into the sim. Nothing more. No bells or whistles, And MS have not provided such as of today. using foreflight app i can confirm this works and shows in the sim.

2. You answered your own question. It does all of that within reason, If reporting stations are sparse i have no idea because i haven`t tested that yet. You get smooth transitions(no popping or lagging) but may encounter a fps hit for a few seconds whilst it loads, Definitely not a show stopper on my system.

3. I do not see any environmental changes in regards to light or changing the appearance of the sim, However it did render multiple cloud layers today for me and the results were amazing, i've not seen this yet with default live weather.

My summation of this product after having done 6 hrs today are, It is obviously in its infancy and will improve i'm sure with sdk improvement over the coming months. the MSFS live weather is not accurate as you know but what REX have produced is way better.

Watch this video of various stations and situations in the sim. 

This is my opinion and does not reflect any outside influence.

Cheers Rick

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

tpewpb-6.png

20 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I could have married Gisele Buendchen when I had the chance...

REX had a chance to wait for a stable MSFS weather solution as their decission is only "selfmade".....that counts not for marrieing Gisele as she would have to decide also. So your "comparison-bridge" is not that good.

😉 A little joking beside!

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3 minutes ago, RW1 said:

1. Simple answer is it solves erroneous weather depiction at weather stations and injects corrected Temp, QNH, Winds, Cloud and forecast winds @ FL it into the sim. Nothing more. No bells or whistles, And MS have not provided such as of today. using foreflight app i can confirm this works and shows in the sim.

2. You answered your own question. It does all of that within reason, If reporting stations are sparse i have no idea because i haven`t tested that yet. You get smooth transitions(no popping or lagging) but may encounter a fps hit for a few seconds whilst it loads, Definitely not a show stopper on my system.

3. I do not see any environmental changes in regards to light or changing the appearance of the sim, However it did render multiple cloud layers today for me and the results were amazing, i've not seen this yet with default live weather.

My summation of this product after having done 6 hrs today are, It is obviously in its infancy and will improve i'm sure with sdk improvement over the coming months. the MSFS live weather is not accurate as you know but what REX have produced is way better.

Watch this video of various stations and situations in the sim. 

This is my opinion and does not reflect any outside influence.

Cheers Rick

And that exactly is my point.

I don´t see the USP AND long Lifecycle in a product wich mainly solves "erronous" behaviour of another product (MSFS/Asobo flightsim) wich I already paid for. I pay again to solve problems others have left, wich will be solved in neartime future for sure.

But again, I may have missed the Weather Force USP and no one has answered the need for this product in ADDITION to MSFS. What is the Unique Selling point of REX weather force? I don´t want to be rude or unpolied. I just want to understand this?

For some help I am thankful.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

6 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

I don´t see the USP AND long Lifecycle in a product wich mainly solves "erronous" behaviour of another product (MSFS/Asobo flightsim) wich I already paid for. I pay again to solve problems others have left, wich will be solved in neartime future for sure.

But again, I may have missed the Weather Force USP and no one has answered the need for this product in ADDITION to MSFS. What is the Unique Selling point of REX weather force? I don´t want to be rude or unpolied. I just want to understand this?

For some help I am thankful.

Marcus

I can't offer you any more than what i`ve said above. Watch the video i have linked. And for the sake of $23 IMHO it is 100% better than flying the same inaccurate conditions MSFS gives me. At least it's accurate and that's what i want.

• Like 3

tpewpb-6.png

Lots of talk but no reviews is all I see in this thread.

As many people have already said, I need live weather because when flying on vatsim, it's stupid that their metars is different from in-sim.

Edited by GodAtum
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GodAtum said:

Lots of talk but no reviews is all I see in this thread.

The video i linked from some YTer is a good review. Plenty of reviews on the MSFS forum by users today.

tpewpb-6.png

20 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

I don´t see the USP AND long Lifecycle in a product wich mainly solves "erronous" behaviour of another product (MSFS/Asobo flightsim) wich I already paid for.

Look, you don't have to WIN this discussion. Your point was made. Some agree, some don't - no need to drag this along with what everybody knows now: You don't see the point in the product, you won't buy it. Good.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, darem said:

Look, you don't have to WIN this discussion. Your point was made. Some agree, some don't - no need to drag this along with what everybody knows now: You don't see the point in the product, you won't buy it. Good.

No one is talking about WINNING a discussion. 

I would even rethink of buying this product if it makes sense to me for the next couple of months (half year or even year) and of course I made my point clear, but as it seems the product indeed has no USP or gives me no benefit.

I will leave it like it is. Thanks for your kind help here.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

28 minutes ago, RW1 said:

The video i linked from some YTer is a good review. Plenty of reviews on the MSFS forum by users today.

The problem in the video I saw was he had no automaticly wind and temp change as he reaches FL50 (change from 7 Kts. to 23 Kts). He had to manually reinject the weather to get that change. This also was seen by other users. As he manually reinjected, the plane shakes a lot. He says it COULD be the resync time itteration, but he did not made it clear about that. Clear was, he cut the video manually at that part (related or not related to that point, I don´t no).

This reminded me on the P3D plattform, where After a reinjection the plane shakes a lot because of the unsmooth weather transission. Is that also the case in MSFS?

So even if the product does promiss real time weather WITh dynamicly changing weather based on METAR (and altitude/location) then it does SEEM to have a issue exactly on that functions. 

Are we having more users here who bought and have NOT had this issues? Please chime in here, that would be nice. Maybe this was a Temp Bug in the Video.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Started watching Jeff Fav's YT video and the first thing he mentions is that we still have to enter the user information twice in order to install and activate REX WF. When is REX going to learn?

Update: I'm still watching the video. So the add-on is riddled with bugs. Thank god that Jeff points out that there's a bug in the MSFS live weather setting. This is what I'm hoping that REX WF will fix now! Let's see if it consistently addresses the issue?

Update: So it past the first tests where the real weather shows up at the 3 airports. That's a good thing. However, without a flight from point A to point B and checking to see if the weather changes during the flight, I'm still on hold.

Let me see how the video ends as Jeff decided to see with the winds aloft work. It passed Jeff's test.

A complete "full flight" video showing performance and transition from station to station + minor issues fixed, will seal the deal for me.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

27 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

As many people have already said, I need live weather because when flying on vatsim, it's stupid that their metars is different from in-sim.

I would have thought this would be more of an argument against using this REX product, as opposed to recommending it, specifically when using something like Vatsim or another multiplayer system. Basically the problem is that both the default weather system and this product, 'fluff' things in one way or another to determine what they will depict, with relative merits for both methods, but the end result is that they will depict things differently in various locations depending on whether you are using this product or not.

Being this is the case, for multiplayer applications, surely it would make more sense to use the level playing field of what the sim does by default than what an optional payware product provides? At least then, you can be reasonably sure everyone would be experiencing the same weather. The alternative might lead to someone to be asking for vectors around a thunderstorm which no-one else is seeing unless they have that particular payware weather product, or even worse, being vectored into a thunderstorm by a controller whose own sim says it's lovely weather at that location.

I'm fairly sure systems such as Vatsim would not want the utility of their system to be dependent upon whether or not you have a particular payware product. So if you are flying on your own then sure, if you prefer the way this product depicts things then that's fine, but if it differs significantly from what other flyers and controllers are seeing and vectoring aeroplanes around and away from, then that's a problem unless Vatsim were to specify that to use their product, you must use this product too, and I doubt they'll want to do that.

Of course if it were to become the de facto thing to have, then that might change things, but at the moment I could see this being an issue.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 hours ago, Chock said:

I would have thought this would be more of an argument against using this REX product, as opposed to recommending it,

That leads me to the quiestion what if we in future share cockpits? user A has REX Weather Force and User B has not? 

Asobo needs to solve the issues. It becomes more and more clear. 

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Seeing the video of Jeff Fav, I wonder how much did REX pay him ?

His video is clearly biased towards REX and he didn't even properly compare to the default sim, plus he is downplaying every bug he gets with REX

Why didn't he bother restarting MSFS to get rid of the weather bug and compare to the other airports ? No comparison of wind either ! from what I saw on the video the wind depiction on REX is very bad, there is no interpolation of wind between 2k feet and 5k feet plus he had to update to get the wind at 5k. The video is a joke, just like the addon

Edited by cepact
  • Like 1