Sign in to follow this  
IgorBR

PMDG777 in FSX - missing input delay - is it just me?

Hi there, when watching real-life cockpit landings of Boeing 777 I have noticed that whenever pilot moves the yoke, the movement of the aircraft happens with some .5-1s delay. When I move the yoke in FSX while langing, there is immediate reaction by the plane with no delay - why is it so? I though of PMDG to make this input delay more realistic.

There is "input delay" when using aerosoft product a319 - however it is not done perfectly - actually when you move your desktop joystick - the aircraft makes a movement with delay - but actually it is the joystick that moves in the virtual cockpit with the delay, the movement by the aircraft is almost instantenous when in-cockpit joystick moves (it is just apperent delay because there is some delay between your real-life joystick and joystick in the game, but no actual delay between in-game joystick and aicraft movement).

• Like 1

My guess is that a delay can be sent to the hardware peripheral, which can be configured (config file?) and altered to suit our preferences. I do not know how much artificial feel is built into the flying controls of a 777, but I suspect that the surfaces move as soon as the pilot moves the yoke. I would say that the real-world "delay" you see in the videos comes from 2-300 tons of machine having a lot of inertia. Physics dictates that the plane wants to keep going in the direction it is already going and you really have to persuade her otherwise.

Some people may like instant reaction in the sim, but the magnitude of that reaction should be in relation to the size of the plane. I move my yoke and the 777 begins to react, but it should not be twitchy or instantly enter into a 360 degree per second roll like an Extra or Pitts might! :wacko::biggrin:

Regarding the yoke displayed in a virtual cockpit, that is really just eye candy in my opinion - it's nice to have the yoke or stick represented for "immersion", moving in a direction one would expect to see, but quite often there is a clickspot so we can remove it. Usually so we can see other switches or indicators hidden by the control. In the real world we would move our heads :happy:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

29 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

My guess is that a delay can be sent to the hardware peripheral, which can be configured (config file?) and altered to suit our preferences. I do not know how much artificial feel is built into the flying controls of a 777, but I suspect that the surfaces move as soon as the pilot moves the yoke. I would say that the real-world "delay" you see in the videos comes from 2-300 tons of machine having a lot of inertia. Physics dictates that the plane wants to keep going in the direction it is already going and you really have to persuade her otherwise.

Some people may like instant reaction in the sim, but the magnitude of that reaction should be in relation to the size of the plane. I move my yoke and the 777 begins to react, but it should not be twitchy or instantly enter into a 360 degree per second roll like an Extra or Pitts might! :wacko::biggrin:

Regarding the yoke displayed in a virtual cockpit, that is really just eye candy in my opinion - it's nice to have the yoke or stick represented for "immersion", moving in a direction one would expect to see, but quite often there is a clickspot so we can remove it. Usually so we can see other switches or indicators hidden by the control. In the real world we would move our heads :happy:

Exactly as you mentioned the surfaces - take a look at this B777 landing....

you see that the elevator moves, but the change in the plane pitch is not immediately 😄 immediate (due to physics you mentioned such as weight...), but there is subtle "delay". And this kind of delay I am missing in the sim.

• Upvote 1

No aircraft designer you build a delay into control inputs. That would be asking for disaster. The reaction of the aircraft is related to It's design the size of the control surface and the relationship of air flowing or not flowing over that surface. A Formula 1 car reacts to driver input faster than you basic sedan due to it's suspension. In the sim a Extra will roll much faster than a 777 due to having full length ailerons relative to a small  airframe. The extra is designed to be "unstable" making it easy to maneuver and perform aerobatics. A large airliner is designed to be more "stable" in flight so it doesn't have that "twitchy" feel. It's reactions will be smoother. 

This is also why having the correct vSpeeds is important. Pulling back on the yoke before Vr might cause the nose to rise but you won't get lift off. In a 777 you may (very good chance in the -300) get a tail strike. The shorter 737s seem to leap off the runway like a hotrod compared to the 777-300. The 737-900 also has a heavier feel on take off and rotation than the 600.

So the "delay" your looking for is already there in the sim.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB