Sign in to follow this  
FOD

The European Desert!

Everytime I taxi out at a UK airfield in the fall, I am reminded of the times I taxied out real world at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. I appreciate that I can set the season to summer for a more European look and I have read MS' explanation for these very odd textures.However, Cloud 9 has already produced textures to resolve the Italian desert problem and I have read the very detailed threads on work-arounds for Canada etc. So very grateful if anyone has looked at Northern Europe and could point me in the direction of other options - either free, pay or modifications - which could be imported to restore the rest of Europe and, in particular, England's "green and pleasant land". John Rooum

Guest robmuzz

Here here... maybe even a muddier brown, could look better!

Guest tmilton

>I have read MS'>explanation for these very odd textures.What is the explanation? I think I missed this one.

Hi FolksSuggest you look at - Think of a superlative ...http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6253It'll cover all of England & Wales initially, (Scotland later),with 1m/pixel textures & 5m res mesh.Addons to follow -Dedicated autogen.25cm/pixel textures in some cities.HTHATBPaulhttp://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpg

Paul,I have the demo and agree it is incredible and I doubt that I will be able to resist the upcoming release. However:1. Just to cover England and Wales costs more than FSX itself.2. I assume the final version will still remain limited to one snapshot in time as per the original VFR - although I see the possiblity of night lighting. Thus we will not be able to change the seasons which was the point of my original post.John R

Why not just re-do the textures - that's what I did. I too, like you, found the drab brown landscape monotonous and unrealistic - so I simply changed the colouring of the textures. This is obvioulsy a quick and dirty fix to improve things until Peter Wilding (hopefully)releases better textures. What I did was this: using Paint Shop Pro, I simply blended the relevant autumn textures with the corresponding textures from summer. This had the effect of making the autumn fields look greener while preserving the autumn colours for trees.Adam Mills.

Guest tmilton

>I have read MS'explanation for these very odd textures.John, can you tell us what MS' explanation was for these odd textures? I think quite a few of us are wondering about this.

Guest delsutton

>Why not just re-do the textures - that's what I did. What I did was this: using Paint Shop Pro, I simply blended the relevant autumn textures with the corresponding textures from summer. I'd like to try that. Could you point me in the direction of where these textures are stored and the file names to look out for? Many thanks.

>1. Just to cover England and Wales costs more than FSX>itself.True, but what's your point?

In this thread:"The Great Sahara Desert ... of North America"there is a post of how MS set the various landclass and textures - this is a summary of a much more detailed post by one of the MS team {but I cannot remember whether it was here or in a blog}.John Rooum