Sign in to follow this  
Jure

Scary...

Hi guys and girls,there I was, happily cruising above FSX' Austrian Alps in an Airbus when suddenly... Poof! BSOD. I reset the 'puter, tried to run FSX again and guess what?"Flight simulator needs a valid SCENERY.CFG to run properly. Uninstall and install bla, bla, bla..."Ok, So I went and copied the original scenery.cfg from a safe location. Nothing...after half an hour, still nothing...I began sweating a bit. :)Ok, I decided to copy all my stuff that I added to FSX somewhere safe and do the uninstall/install thing. Airbuses, BAC1-11 and all my precious AI collection modded for FSX.Good. Then I had a bright moment and decided to try System restore.It worked...BUT! Now comes the interesting part. Since I lost last changes to my Airbus330 Aircraft.cfg camera definitions, I went to the place where I copied all the stuff some minutes back and... guess what?ALL *.cfg files were GONE, DELETED! And I mean all! Aircraft.cfg, panel.cfg, sound.cfg, you name it! In ALL folders that I copied prior to System Restore and, of course, after the BSOD. I think that in fact, all .cfg files were gone from FSX! I checked everything else, all the folders and everything else was there. Just the .cfg's were missing.How? Why? I am getting a bit scared now. I mean how is this possible? I'll admit to have tweaked my Athlon a bit through EasyTune5 and that probably caused the BSOD. But still...Any ideas apart from either a) Alien invasion or :( I'm losing it? ;)Regards,JureP.S.: Backup, backup, backup, backup....Can someone please shed some light on this?

Guest Valkyrie321

That is really quite odd...I just had my FSX.exe file go missing on me... saying it was "configured wrong." Ironic after an install, then again I also went into the Add/Remove program files and removed the Microsoft C++ thinger, which I noticed it installed the last time I put my discs in.*shrugs*FSX is very.... well needless to say be careful with overclocking (and more importantly changing memory settings through BIOS). The program seems overly sensitive to it. Since it sounds like you are a tweaker (gaming that is... lol) I would suggest checking over some of your other tweaks. Perhaps something may have corrupted or accidently been uninstalled during/while tweaking.Good luck. Keep us updated, I hope your problem gets fixed.

Guest Vilk

i'll second your memory remark. fsx would freeze or reset the box in medias res when i ran the memory at the nominal speed. i had to manually downclock it to a point where fsx would run reasonably stabletwo nights wasted trying to pinpoint the culprit... poof goes life! :-)

I noticed the Microsoft C++ as well. Why is that needed? On the other hand, I don't have an entry for FSX or else I am completely blind. Well, this time System restore saved my day. The Repair function didn't do anything useful (Yes, I tried that before the Restore). I am trying to be careful with OCing, better to be safe than sorry. Especially if consequences are as strange as I experienced yesterday. :)There are some funny things going on with FSX methinks. I experience occasional stutters - quite regular in nature, every 5 econds or so, - then they go away again. Sometimes I get almost 10fps less when loading my test flight under same conditions and settings as before. Then, miraculously, FPS are back the next time I try. FS9, for that matter, is behaving itself. :)Vilk, are you saying that FSX didn't like it when you overclocked? I didn't even do much, just used the Gigabyte thingie to gently push the frequencey a bit higher. ;)Jure

Guest Vilk

no, i mean it didn't like 400 MHz memory to run at the nominal 400 MHz. i downclocked it to 333 (PC3200 --> PC2700) and it hasn't seized in a few days. i can switch the behviour on and off by playing with the memory clock (again, no overclocking). the hardware had been running fine for months before i installed fsxand yes, i did play with all the other settings and i do know more or less what's going on in the bios, but if anyone has a suggestion i'll be more than happy to try it out :-)not a great priority anyway as i haven't noticed any difference in frame rates or smoothness in the entire range between 266 and 420 MHz

I too have noticed that FSX can occasionally crash my overclock. But that's to be expected with a super-intensive app like FS2004 or FSX.Prime95 and SuperPI ain't got nuthin on FSX. :) Want to do a burn-in test on your overclock? Do a marathon FS session.I may have to turn down my overclock a tad. I've gotten to CTD's in the last two weeks using FSX. One was in a mission, and one was while panning around the VC. Probably I need to turn down the o/c.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Vilk,no suggestions, sorry. But computers are funny things. I just upgraded from 1 to 2Gb Corsair Twinx. Had to buy 2 1Gb sticks because 4 512Mb sticks don't agree with my Gigabyte K8NF-9. Go figure.Rhett,I had a few crashes in FSX, too. FS9 seems to be more stable, I just finished a lovely flight KDCA-KSFO in a LVL-D 767 without a hitch. All sliders to the right, full traffic and this old crate still managed to give me between 20-25FPS. Smooth as silk, too. Running my Athlon 64 3500+ at 2406Mhz is just about right. If I push it a bit further, FSX will autodestruct. Too bad... I was eyeing an Athlon 3800+ but at this point it would be ridiculous to swap the processor methinks. :)Jure