Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Update from PMDG

19 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Based on the PMDG timeline for just about every other product that they have ever developed, my guess is that the NG3 will not be hitting the MSFS market stores until 2022.

Yep and we know that from the start, so Roberts news is as normal, no news. He might as well have said, "coming soon"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

In case of a "at least 10 year product-lifecycle" that is 10% without PMDG (what about FSLABS??) ! But I did not expected it much earlier. A pitty, but as it is.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

MSFS has so much to offer already that waiting a year for PMDG to arrive to the party is no problem for me. Just look at the default A320 with the FlyByWire mod. This one has come along so nicely after just 1,5 month. By christmas, this will be a nice airliner to fly (it is already ok). For us, waiting is less of a problem than for the developers. They are facing this attractive market and can't release their products. And who honestly is going to spend $150 for a new P3D plane from PMDG now that MSFS is most likely going to be the main sim platform in the years to come? Think about who should really be complaining.

Edited by carlito777
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Definitely a very disappointing announcement -- although, as others have said, not the first time PMDG have lengthened their development timetable.

I am a little surprised by their apparent commitment to a new P3D product. PMDG presumably have access to the same market figures as other developers who have said that P3D addon sales have basically dropped off a cliff for over a year. So committing development resources to an entirely new P3D product only makes sense if he's either much more pessimistic about MSFS as a long-term platform for development than he's letting on, or if the delay he expects for the NG3 and other products in MSFS is even longer than he's letting on. Otherwise, why not focus on the huge, dynamic market instead of the dead or dying one?

8 hours ago, mjw8899 said:

But, as he states almost immediately after,  “Since we had planned to be very deep into 737, 747, 777, J-41 and DC-6 conversion to MSFS by now- but it is clear that we won’t need to dedicate those resources to MSFS”

You've cut off the last part of what he said in a way that radically changes the meaning of what Randazzo said. I'd ask that you please edit your post to include the full context. What he actually said was:

Since we had planned to be very deep into 737, 747, 777, J-41 and DC-6 conversion to MSFS by now- but it is clear that we won’t need to dedicate those resources to MSFS for a while longer

Emphasis added. That's the same difference as "I won't ever need to eat again" and "I won't need to eat until a few hours from now." I hope this was a genuine misunderstanding on your part, rather than a deliberate attempt to make some "fake news." Please fix it.

James

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Otherwise, why not focus on the huge, dynamic market instead of the dead or dying one?

Because even though they may be eager to accelerate development for MSFS, the tools are just not ready. They're pretty much at a hold until the functionality they require is implemented. They can have 100 devs available to work on the 737 for MSFS, it won't make a difference if they're stuck for now.

• Upvote 1

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

1 minute ago, jacf182 said:

Because even though they may be eager to accelerate development for MSFS, the tools are just not ready. They're pretty much at a hold until the functionality they require is implemented. They can have 100 devs available to work on the 737 for MSFS, it won't make a difference if they're stuck for now.

Sure. But my point is that if he thinks those tools will be ready in, say, 6 months, it wouldn't make sense to commit to a new project for a moribund market if that development will take, say, a year. So (and this is my own reading between the lines) it may be that a fully-featured SDK is actually even further off than we (or RSR) had hoped.

2 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Sure. But my point is that if he thinks those tools will be ready in, say, 6 months, it wouldn't make sense to commit to a new project for a moribund market if that development will take, say, a year. So (and this is my own reading between the lines) it may be that a fully-featured SDK is actually even further off than we (or RSR) had hoped.

Valid point. My take on this is that they have a steady niche (professional licensing) that pays top dollar for a stable and proven simulation. So even if their hobbyist/consumer market does shrink, I think they might still make good money. This is all just assumption on my part though.

• Like 2

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

6 minutes ago, honanhal said:

That is also my point.

Enjoy what you have but don’t expect complex airliners to come anytime soon. 

It all depends on what the priorities of MS will be over time.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

12 minutes ago, honanhal said:

I find it comical people think that P3D is somehow a "dying" product. But whatever helps you guys feel better about this half baked sim.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Honestly, as much of a P3D diehard as I was, the dread of starting from scratch and reinstalling everything just doesn't fill me with joy.  There was nothing in V5 which particularly impressed me.  It felt like more of the same with new clouds.  I think I can wait for a year and give my beloved PMDG birds a virtual sabbatical.  Really enjoying GA in MFS and at this stage, I'm far more interested in what A2A will being to the table to fill the gap.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Does anyone else see a dissonance between

"...we are seeing a sharp up-tick in the rate at which the features we need are being implemented to MSFS.."

and

"Unfortunately what we didn’t count on was just how big that work-load...

Yes, there something not right in his statements. At first, PMDG owned the SDK before their official anouncement in July. So the question is why did it take at least 3 months to realize the SDK is an inoperative state? The second point, as you mentioned, on one side there is a huge up-tick rate in the implementations of the SDK, but the NG is 1.8x times delayed now.

The original planned release end of 2020 means there would have been a development time of roughly 5 to 6 months. Now the NG is delayed to 12 months. That means the huge up-tick rate represents a timeline of 9 months. 1.5x times more the time the NG was planned to get released.

42 minutes ago, honanhal said:

You've cut off the last part of what he said in a way that radically changes the meaning of what Randazzo said. I'd ask that you please edit your post to include the full context. What he actually said was:

Since we had planned to be very deep into 737, 747, 777, J-41 and DC-6 conversion to MSFS by now- but it is clear that we won’t need to dedicate those resources to MSFS for a while longer

Yep, that`s the point. The context is here important. It`s good that we have an official anouncment for the NG, but the rest shouldn`t be intepreted, because it is written in an unclear manner, see above point.

Anyway I appreciate the work of PMDG very much. But the work of FS - more and more not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turpentine said:

It always fascinates me how many posts on the MSFS2020 forum are from people who dislike MSFS2020. It must be a Stockholm Syndrome or masochist thing.

Expressing this kind of words just show what is going on your world. It`s a very discusting word. The FS community obviously likes these kind of expressions.

For me, I was expecting a lot with the anouncement trailers, after the release PMDG was my hope, because I don`t like FS at all, now the plane is delayed for at least one year, for me that is defenately not worth it to wait, got luckelywise better things to do in my life.

So, here is a reason to post something negative about FS. But obviously that doesn`t fit in your masochist world. Good to know the FS community is in one level with this type of ill-fated articulations.

Edited by BigDee
  • Like 1

Did anyone notice the Dreamliners and specifically the tail of a 787-9 in the background in one of the photos in PMDG's announcements?

And this:

We have a product coming for our P3D product line that you haven’t seen yet that is nearing testing and we have also begun work on a new airplane type… the <manufacturer deleted> <model number deleted> that you have always asked us to create… I’m sure you will be looking forward to that

fetch?id=84818&d=1601143838

Edited by YMMB

13 hours ago, Wise87 said:

I read the post but what got my attention was the line near the end. Very Interesting. 

We have a product coming for our P3D product line that you haven’t seen yet that is nearing testing and we have also begun work on a new airplane type… the <manufacturer deleted> <model number deleted> that you have always asked us to create… I’m sure you will be looking forward to that. 

I think most have missed this...

17 minutes ago, YMMB said:

Did anyone notice the Dreamliners and specifically the tail of a 787-9 in the background in one of the photos in PMDG's announcements?

And this:

fetch?id=84818&d=1601143838

Well spotted.