Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Update from PMDG

17 minutes ago, YMMB said:

Did anyone notice the Dreamliners and specifically the tail of a 787-9 in the background in one of the photos in PMDG's announcements?

And this:

fetch?id=84818&d=1601143838

Your image doesn't load..

6 minutes ago, highflyer2020 said:

Your image doesn't load..

Maybe a mod can help as I can see it in my post, and the quote made by Mark_A and your post above here.

Edited by YMMB

5 minutes ago, YMMB said:

Maybe a mod can help as I can see it in my post, and the quote made by Mark_A and your post above here.

It's because you're a member of the PMDG forums and I am not...

Do you mind uploading to Imgur or something? I would much appreciate!

33 minutes ago, YMMB said:

Did anyone notice the Dreamliners and specifically the tail of a 787-9 in the background in one of the photos in PMDG's announcements?

And this:

fetch?id=84818&d=1601143838

A PMDG 789 would be awesome. But I don't we'll be seeing one until 2025.

3 hours ago, mpo910 said:

In case of a "at least 10 year product-lifecycle" that is 10% without PMDG (what about FSLABS??) ! But I did not expected it much earlier. A pitty, but as it is.

Marcus

There had been nothing from FSL. As complicated as their product is and given what PMDG new timeline is, I would not look for it any sooner than 2022.

Eric 

4 hours ago, virtuali said:

I wouldn't worry so much about this. PMDG announced in November 2019 they were going to support MSFS 2020 and at that time, I think the only assurance they got from Asobo is the SDK would allow C++ development, and possibly some details about the fact it would use Webassembly

.....<snipped for length>....

Thank you for the detailed write-up!  I had a lot of suspicion about this very thing involving the old C++ codes and the new Webassembly

4 hours ago, virtuali said:

- How many features from FSX Simconnect work and, more importantly, work correctly. This is another current issue with the SDK, which quite a bit of other developers are waiting to be fixed with updates, because right now only a subset of the FSX Simconnect works.

This one has been big. Right now a number of critical SimConnect events don't fire at all, like the throttle axis events. It is not possible to build something like autothrottle or fadecs without being able to intercept the throttle axis and then manipulate other engine parameters directly, so we're all waiting to see when those things get fixed.

And, as previously mentioned, the STL isn't even included in the available APIs for WASM, so if you want to use basically any data structure you don't feel like reinventing from scratch (and who does, these days), you're a bit SOL. And that includes even simple things like lists, vectors, maps.

On top of those issues, there are some enormous turbine engine defects exceeding the issues presented already with the ESP turbine model. The biggest issue we're fighting with at the moment is the fact that fuel flow is not tied to thrust at all; instead it's tied only to throttle position, so even as thrust decreases with altitude, if you're at full throttle you're still at ground level fuel consumption, meaning SFC doubles or triples or more with altitude, clearly very wrong.

-Matt

• Upvote 2

So this means, I should stop dreaming of PMDG airliners the next 1.5 years and focus on the Default aircrafts and maybe learn to fly the Aerosoft CRJ?

I also need to keep my P3D 4.5 incase I need to fly the PMDG airliners.

Hmmm..Sound like a plan.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

If only someone figures out how to port over the Realair GA aircrafts to MSFS, I can wait for 2 years for PMDG to do their thing. 🙂

Just imagine the quality of Realair with the eye candy of MSFS! WOW! GA flying for 3 years ain't such a a bad thing. I can then focus on relearning my NDB approaches, Other Non precession approaches  .

Edited by Manny
  • Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

6 minutes ago, Manny said:

learn to fly the Aerosoft CRJ?

To quote Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok: "For the release date we are 100% depending on the SDK". So I won't expect the CRJ substantially earlier than the NG.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

I came away from PMDG’s post with the feeling the CEO was walking a very delicate line. He wanted to convey to the community the SDK was most definitely “not ready for prime time” while at the same time attempting to keep the path of cooperative development as smooth as can be accomplished.

My suspicion is that the MS core team are competent flight sim engineers and have a grasp of the task at hand. The problem is they have/are assembling a team of code writers, graphic artists and developers that have come from the science fiction, first person shooter and sports PC gaming industry. The core team, the developers who sat on their stools and pontificated about “their understanding of past MS transgressions and mistakes in the flight sim community and we will do better now” are not the ones building MSFS2020. They oversee and plan it, but they must rely on the well of talent at hand. And there in is the rub. It’s going to be the year Robert mentions for them to come up to speed learning reality based basic flight dynamics, aerodynamic physics, civil and commercial airspace rules, regulations and avionics etc etc. Their track record of trying to fix stuff this past month speaks for itself.

If I were in his shoe’s I would be most careful about how close I allowed my team of PMDG developers to get near the MS2020 insiders. Bill Gatus of Borg has VERY deep pockets. Those guys have bills to pay too. Or… maybe Robert’s distractions of the past few months include hotels in Redmond and the thoughts of walking Ms. Solo in better digs.

I came dangerously close to zip tying a Xbox controller onto my yoke over the past few weeks. Fortunately better judgment prevailed. I’m just not going there. On the other hand, flying the shiny new toy has pressed me hard into learning how to operate the Garmin 1000 and 3000. I have a personal extreme dislike for those “word not allowed” rotary knobs that require mouse operations of a 15 year old hyper active gamer. But this old dog is having fun learning new tricks.

It’s pretty, but it sure has a long way to go. No doubt it will happen. Not sure what will become of pure flight simming as this and other flight sim communities absorbs the masses of gamers into the community. There influence here and elsewhere has me a bit concerned, but it is what it is.

Edited by Radial9
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

To quote Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok: "For the release date we are 100% depending on the SDK". So I won't expect the CRJ substantially earlier than the NG.

He also pointed out in an interview a month ago, that he would be very disappointed if the CRJ was not ready before the end of this year.

Excerpt

"In terms of release dates, the developer remained very apprehensive about naming a firm timeframe, citing an incomplete SDK from Asobo Studio. 'It's very depending [sic] on Microsoft here.' He goes back on his earlier statement a little later in the clip, where he says it 'must' be this year that the CRJ launches, with it becoming an issue of money should Aerosoft miss the 2020 release target."

So, expect it this year or very early next.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, airlinejets said:

He also pointed out in an interview a month ago, that he would be very disappointed if the CRJ was not ready before the end of this year.

Wasn't RSR's timeframe very similar until his recent post? Just saying...

Time will tell!

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

So there is a 777-200 ER coming?

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)