Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Update from PMDG

23 hours ago, ComSimPilot said:

Good I haven't bought any MSFS scenery yet. It seems proper use of MSFS in airliners operations like I can do in P3D and XP is far in the future for now. MSFS can serve as a nice flight entertainment platform though that serves its purpose. 

Actually, you might want to start stocking up now....lol.  You'd hate to get stuck with having to buy some  30 or 50 sceneries all at once then having to wait to download them all, then install them, etc.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Upvote 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

The assumption is, casual simmers will get bored of MSFS within a few months, and my guess is a lot of the XBox players fall into this category.

I also doubt casual simmers will want to spend a three figure sum on a single add on aircraft no matter what the fidelity and complexity either - you're probably talking £30 (maybe £40) as the crunch point there. Out of interest I looked at the PMDG website and nearly fell off my seat to see what they are charging for their stuff now. Sure it wasn't always so - pretty certain I picked up the first 737 NG 600/700 for around £25 - £30 on disc, probably paid £40 for the 747 Queen and MD11 X (that might have been £50). Probably slightly abeam of this topic but did they get a bit greedy in the last few years?

MS are going to want stuff on the Marketplace at an attractive price that sells quickly and in bulk.

Edited by Elvensmith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

Which one is more important?  We still don't have 'fall' scenery going into October yet Japan has to get done.

In the short-term ( as in "I need to sell my stuff *yesterday*, because my company is starving ), I would say "Fix the SDK now".

But in the long term, I think the Japan move is brilliant, because Microsoft has been trying to sell the Xbox there for almost 20 years, since the original Xbox in 2001. And they kept failing. Even the X360, that was popular almost everywhere and was a smash hit in the US, flopped in Japan, like all the other MS consoles. It's just that no games made by Microsoft or Xbox games in general seems to attract japanese customers.

They need an exclusive title, something only Microsoft has, and something different than the usual shooters/racing games. MSFS is just the perfect title to at least TRY to win Japan.  Not even the 7.5B$ to purchase Bethesda can do that, because their games are precisely the typical "too western" genre that doesn't seem to raise much interest in Japan. MSFS could be a cheaper way ( compared to those 7.5 B$ ) to gain traction in the 3rd major market MS has been struggling to get into for years.

And a strong MSFS release on the Xbox, means the future of the PC version ( "something" must pay for the Azure servers maintenance, otherwise the bean counters will just axe the whole thing ) is assured so, long term, it's best they did Japan first, and hopefully they concentrate on the SDK later on.

Not the two things are mutually exclusive anyway, to do Japan you need modelers, artist, but not so many programmers, so the SDK could well proceed in parallel.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Not the two things are mutually exclusive anyway, to do Japan you need modelers, artist, but not so many programmers, so the SDK could well proceed in parallel.

I think folk often forget this point..

• Like 1

It has probably already been posted here but given all the required development in getting complex airliners etc to work (as opposed to a simple port over with a bit of a polish) that there will be no discounted upgrades on offer. It could get quite expensive.

Cheers

Steve Hall

1 minute ago, cowpatz said:

It has probably already been posted here but given all the required development in getting complex airliners etc to work (as opposed to a simple port over with a bit of a polish) that there will be no discounted upgrades on offer. It could get quite expensive.

Wasn't there a PMDG guarantee for early NGXu buyers?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

3 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Wasn't there a PMDG guarantee for early NGXu buyers?

Yes  The NGu would be free.  

12 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

It could get quite expensive.

It's more likely to get cheaper; people just won't buy it. 🤣

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

40 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

I also doubt casual simmers will want to spend a three figure sum on a single add on aircraft no matter what the fidelity and complexity either - you're probably talking £30 (maybe £40) as the crunch point there. Out of interest I looked at the PMDG website and nearly fell off my seat to see what they are charging for their stuff now. Sure it wasn't always so - pretty certain I picked up the first 737 NG 600/700 for around £25 - £30 on disc, probably paid £40 for the 747 Queen and MD11 X (that might have been £50). Probably slightly abeam of this topic but did they get a bit greedy in the last few years?

MS are going to want stuff on the Marketplace at an attractive price that sells quickly and in bulk.

I think PDMG said the 737 in MSFS will cost over $100 USD (I can't remember the exact figure and I don't have the link to the source anymore, maybe somebody who remembers can post it).  Past the 1st year of MSFS, most of the purchases in the market place will be by hard core simmers who continue to play MSFS.  I think Microsoft/Asobo understand this so it's in their best interests to keep changing the SDK until PDMG can get their planes in (and it's also in PDMG's interest, revenue wise, to get their planes out for MSFS).

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

8 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Yes  The NGu would be free.  

If you're referring to the new NG3 being free, this is incorrect. You receive a rebate of $99 towards the price of the NG3 which is expected to be $139. See quote below:

"...In other words, the NGXu for Prepar3D v4 is available right now for $99.99 USD. Buyers of the NGXu before 31DEC19 will receive a $99.99 USD rebate on their purchase of the NG3 once it is released. Randazzo further explained that the anticipated market price of the NG3 will be $139.99 USD."

Cited link: https://fselite.net/news/pmdg-clarifies-ng3-pricing-and-ngxu-policy/

Edited by Keirtt
update citation
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

You can kiss goodbye to all of those things as the limitations of the SDK start to bite the @rse of the Dev time like Performance Manuals.

Time is money. And if too much time is spent with not enough money being made then - they don't do it.

This is PMDG's business model. As it is anyone's who's working to make a buck or two.

Love you Robert. x

Sorry to blitz it wide open.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I think PDMG said the 737 in MSFS will cost over $100 USD (I can't remember the exact figure and I don't have the link to the source anymore, maybe somebody who remembers can post it).  Past the 1st year of MSFS, most of the purchases in the market place will be by hard core simmers who continue to play MSFS.  I think Microsoft/Asobo understand this so it's in their best interests to keep changing the SDK until PDMG can get their planes in (and it's also in PDMG's interest, revenue wise, to get their planes out for MSFS).

I'll be over in the corner at the Just Flight check in counter then! Way too rich for my tastes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

You can kiss goodbye to all of those things as the limitations of the SDK start to bite the @rse of the Dev time like Performance Manuals.

SDKs go hand-in-hand with performance manuals.  They are inseparable.  Everyone appears to be on hold for the SDK which is a WIP.  

Example is I am adding an ultralight AC but the SDK does not support it.  Why - the landing parameters do not support the landing speed.  Mod the SDK and we are good to go.

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, virtuali said:

the typical "too western" genre that doesn't seem to raise much interest in Japan.

Put some big glittery eyes on the pilots and it will go.

23 minutes ago, Evros said:

Put some big glittery eyes on the pilots and it will go.

That occurred to me too. If they knock up quick 3D model of a Hentai co-pilot in a skimpy schoolgirl outfit, Bob's Yer Uncle, they'll be all over it. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here