Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

NORTHERN SKY STUDIO - KETCHIKAN INT - MSFS

4 hours ago, CFIJose said:

Did you see that the ORBX version is on sale for $4.82?

That's affordable.

I already have the orbx one.  If the other is better however I think I'd replace it.   

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Counting down from the top, this is the 3rd and 6th picture of the original post except this is the ORBX version PAKT.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Northern sky version

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:41 AM, Denwagg said:

The scenery is great but the Landclass, autogen and mesh are surrounding the airport are not representative of what I see stateside.

So what does the real place look like then?

7 hours ago, Fielder said:

Counting down from the top, this is the 3rd and 6th picture of the original post except this is the ORBX version PAKT.

That looks like the default airport to me. The Orbx PAKT also has the piers modelled, for example. See the 5th screenshot on the Orbx website: https://orbxdirect.com/product/pakt-msfs

I don't have the Orbx version to compare details, but the Orbx website says that the PAKT install size is 313 MB, and my Northern Sky Studios PAKT takes up 2,3 GB, so there could perhaps be a little more detail in the latter version (unless it's excessively wasteful with large texture files, but that's probably unlikely).

10 hours ago, micstatic said:

I already have the orbx one.  If the other is better however I think I'd replace it.   

I bought the NSS version right after it was released. When ORBX released their version, I did not even bother to look at comparison pics. The NSS version also goes on sale often. If you like to fly in this part of the world, it's certainly an upgrade to consider.

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

On 6/19/2022 at 1:26 PM, CFIJose said:

I'll check it for you. In the meantime. Empty out your community folder to see if the airports loads. Obviously put the airport (nss-airport-pakt-ketchikan) in the community folder by itself.

have tried I few other tweaks to get the airport working (such as disabling the cache) so far without success.............

while I managed to get other Alaska airports to work (such as CYBD) when I try and spawn either at PAKT/above it/ or at a near by airport getting the same load freeze.....

so now going to try and empty the community folder and see if it loads (out of interest what happen to the virtual link to all my orbx content (I have a few) will I need to somehow restablish the link to the orbx "library" or re download it all again - when I try and put it all back?) or is it just easier to rename the community folder and install a fresh one with PAKT?

also was recently made aware of the add-on linker mod for MSFS - just wondering if this is one way to do the testing? (interested to know how this works with orbx library system where it puts a link in your community folder)

Edited by mac44

35 minutes ago, mac44 said:

have tried I few other tweaks to get the airport working (such as disabling the cache) so far without success.............

while I managed to get other Alaska airports to work (such as CYBD) when I try and spawn either at PAKT/above it/ or at a near by airport getting the same load freeze.....

so now going to try and empty the community folder and see if it loads (out of interest what happen to the virtual link to all my orbx content (I have a few) will I need to somehow restablish the link to the orbx "library" or re download it all again - when I try and put it all back?) or is it just easier to rename the community folder and install a fresh one with PAKT?

also was recently made aware of the add-on linker mod for MSFS - just wondering if this is one way to do the testing? (interested to know how this works with orbx library system where it puts a link in your community folder)

The add-on linker is the best utility you can get to keep track of all your add-ons. If you have not done so, watch some youtube videos to get familiar with the program.

I have a main folder called MSFS Add-Ons, then inside I have an Airports folder that is then broken up by continents and countries, airplanes folder, utilities folder, etc. You an organize your folders as you please then enable and disable regions, airplanes, etc. It's an excellent tool because it will let you know if you have a duplicate airport or conflict in a different folder. You will also speed up loading times with less add-on loaded. It even has a feature that eliminates some of the useless opening videos to speed up loading MSFS. Also, when it comes time to update the sim, one click disables all add-ons.

The ORBX ap will install your airports where ever you want. You can use Add-on linker to add that folder, then enable as you wish. Any hyper links created by ORBX in the community folder should be deleted since add-on linker will be doing this for you.

The add-on linker can also be set up auto load aps like FSUIPC or FSRealistic. This utility is a must have!

You can delete PAKT and download a fresh copy.

That's my suggestion.

3 hours ago, CFIJose said:

The add-on linker is the best utility you can get to keep track of all your add-ons. If you have not done so, watch some youtube videos to get familiar with the program.

I have a main folder called MSFS Add-Ons, then inside I have an Airports folder that is then broken up by continents and countries, airplanes folder, utilities folder, etc. You an organize your folders as you please then enable and disable regions, airplanes, etc. It's an excellent tool because it will let you know if you have a duplicate airport or conflict in a different folder. You will also speed up loading times with less add-on loaded. It even has a feature that eliminates some of the useless opening videos to speed up loading MSFS. Also, when it comes time to update the sim, one click disables all add-ons.

The ORBX ap will install your airports where ever you want. You can use Add-on linker to add that folder, then enable as you wish. Any hyper links created by ORBX in the community folder should be deleted since add-on linker will be doing this for you.

The add-on linker can also be set up auto load aps like FSUIPC or FSRealistic. This utility is a must have!

You can delete PAKT and download a fresh copy.

That's my suggestion.

will certainly give it a try.

so really i can just create the add on folder in the same drive as my community folder then move everything across? (main work is just to classify everything my type/region).

so for my orbx stuff (I have my orbx library on a separate drive) - I just need to create the hyper link in my new add on linker folder - does this require a uninstall/reinstall of all the orbx scenery or can I just create/copy the new hyper link in the new add on linker folder?

48 minutes ago, mac44 said:

will certainly give it a try.

so really i can just create the add on folder in the same drive as my community folder then move everything across? (main work is just to classify everything my type/region).

YES!

so for my orbx stuff (I have my orbx library on a separate drive) - I just need to create the hyper link in my new add on linker folder - does this require a uninstall/reinstall of all the orbx scenery or can I just create/copy the new hyper link in the new add on linker folder?

NO!

If there are any hyperlinks in your community folder for the orbx airports, you need to delete those because the Add-on linker is going to create them. You don't need to reinstall your ORBX airports. Only the one that has been giving you trouble.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:24 PM, micstatic said:

Me too...the Orbx version sucks...just a port over, from FSX/P3D...

I just landed at ORBX PAKT yesterday at 10pm while the sun was still up.  It looks pretty good to me so no need to purchase again.

sp

On 6/24/2022 at 4:53 PM, CFIJose said:

If there are any hyperlinks in your community folder for the orbx airports, you need to delete those because the Add-on linker is going to create them. You don't need to reinstall your ORBX airports. Only the one that has been giving you trouble.

thanks - giving this a try now!

1)Have my new add on linker "community folder" broken into "liveries" + "scenery" ect.......within "liveries" can I add further folders dividing into aircraft type and within "scenery" can I break this further down into regions without creating any issues?

2)So for the Orbx scenery I have deleted the hyper links orbx central created in my MSFS "community" folder and from your comment realise I don't need to delete my orbx scenery (which is anyone "installed" in my own orbx library) - but assume I need to get orbx to "recreate" the hyper link for all this scenery in my new addon linker "community" folder - how exactly would you do this (guess there is an option in orbx central somewhere?)

3)Assume for all the apps I will always have "on" - such as bridge for my bravo throttle - i can just leave them in my MSFS "community" folder without causing any kind of issue?

4)Assume going forward when I need to reinstall or update a plane for example I will need to point it to the addon linker "community" folder?

Edited by mac44

On 6/19/2022 at 8:52 PM, AOB said:

So what does the real place look like then?

the real airport looks like the Northern Sky version. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310