Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

How do you read documents and checklist in p3dv5 VR?

How do you do this?

I have flyinside for p3dv4 but now I use p3dv5 and I am learning to handle the majestic dash q400 and would really like to have some notes/charts etc to use...

Ovrtoolkit and lorby freeware I've read but I find it kind of a hassle to use this stuff

What is the best solution right now? I have the rift s.

Cheers

Jozeff

1 hour ago, jozeff said:

How do you do this?

I have flyinside for p3dv4 but now I use p3dv5 and I am learning to handle the majestic dash q400 and would really like to have some notes/charts etc to use...

Ovrtoolkit and lorby freeware I've read but I find it kind of a hassle to use this stuff

Cheers

Jozeff

Steam has an APP called OVR (Overlay) and Oculus could do it by default. They bring "virtual windows" as an overlay in your cockpit wich can view browser, other apps and so far and so on. They are clickable by mouse or controller (WMR by mouse and oculus by controller) to "reposition" the window overlay or tclick and type within them). Works very good and does really raise the immersion. It is like a virtual Tablet (without the Tablet textured) but as if you look on a Tablet screen. Resizing the winows is also possible so you can make them smaller to have "tablet-sized" looks

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

8 hours ago, jozeff said:

How do you do this?

Cheers

Jozeff

Honestly, it's a problem (but VR is still definitely worth it for me).

Option 1: Use an aircraft with an EFB, like the PMDG NGXu or 747. I have my checklists loaded into the cockpit EFB as PDFs - choose a large font size so you can read it OK.

Option 2: CLick the oculus button on your rift controller to toggle out to virtual desktop, and read checklists off the screen there.

Option 3 - what I actually do: Use Voiceattack, programmed so the FO will talk through the checklist for me. So "After takeoff checklist" will run through the items for my current main aircraft. I find that I like this better than FS2Crew in VR. I mod the normal checklists a bit so FO does the work, as I find that clicking on the screen with the mouse decreases immersion. My goal is to not use mouse or Oculus touch controllers during flight if at all possible, just hands on yoke and throttle (my Warthog throttle has enough buttons and switches to control the autopilot well, along with other essential functions).

Cheers!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Thanks for your input guys!

Well, I tried the default oculus pin window option and it's quite good actually!

I didn't want to bother with steam VR in p3d becsuse I get a lot of stuttering while via oculus everything is buttersmooth.

I also have voiceattack paid version but never got used to it. I fly the q400 nowadays but I have no clue how to "program" voiceattack so that it performs all the checklist.....

I mean, which key press is exterior light or baro set 1013 for example?

I have to bind a voice command to a key right?

Thanks again guys!

Jozeff

Baro 1013 is a default fsx.p3d key, “B” I think. But, more broadly, most addons let you set specific keys for various actions. I actually haven’t tried this with the q400, but i’ve got pmdg and the maddog working well.

By the way, it’s interesting what you say about steam vr, because in p3d v5 oculus vr usually stutters badly, while steam vr is the smooth option.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I use OVR drop with Steam VR, another advantage is I get more frames using steamVR.

Oculus default is good, but you can't interact directly with the window when in-sim, whereas with OVR you can use the oculus controller.

I have a couple of windows open at any time, one for navigraph, and a kneeboard with a PDF reader loaded. I can even spawn a Netflix window for all those long flights!

• Like 2

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

38 minutes ago, severniae said:

I use OVR drop with Steam VR, another advantage is I get more frames using steamVR.

Oculus default is good, but you can't interact directly with the window when in-sim, whereas with OVR you can use the oculus controller.

I have a couple of windows open at any time, one for navigraph, and a kneeboard with a PDF reader loaded. I can even spawn a Netflix window for all those long flights!

Yes exactly how I handle it. And...sometimes with a live youtube ATC chatter for some more realism as I do not fly online on VATSIM or IVAO.

To me it works great. Yes, VR needs some optimization within P3D. Especially WMR VR must be used in Stereo when using EA mode on. That is taxing. With Stereo there are also some "small stutters" and it is not that smooth as without.

So, I am hoping LM will fix this and enhance the EA mode overall (Looks, Glitches, Colors, Rain, Reflections, VR SinglePass........5.1 should bring us the "True-Sky" like in Real life.....

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I've had to disable EA for VR, to be honest at the moment old style REX clouds look better anyway. Hopefully this will improve

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg