Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

4 minor gripes

Guest jlwoodward

1. FSX always starts with the 2d panel showing, even though the VC is checked as default. I couldn't find anything in the cfg or camera files to fix this. Maybe it is just on my system.2. You always have to remember to save your flight if you want to start later where you left off. FS9 had an option to make the previous flight the default flight and automatically saved it for you.3. I think there is not enough drag on the floats with the Beaver and Goose. The planes start much too easily, which is not a problem, but they are very difficult to slow down as you approach a dock. I don't know what a real floatplane is like, but I know a boat will not move very far once you cut the throttle.4. Mag switches refuse to move (most of the time) just like in FS9 and many add-on aircraft. I wish this would be fixed once and for all so that the VC would be more realistic.Otherwise, FSX runs very well on my Dell 8400 with only a little tweaking, and that mainly for the water effects.

1. That's weird... However, if you never ever use the 2D-cockpit you can disable entirely it by editing the Cameras.cfg (Documents and settings//Application Data/Microsoft/FSX/Cameras.cfg) The 2D cockpit is the first camera in that one: type // in front of every line and re-number all other views (002 becomes 001, etc.). That should do the trick. I think. You can also delete the camera entirely of course, but don't forget to backup the file first because otherwise you can't go back easily.Er... come to think of it...I was presuming the 2D cockpit showed up in the VC view... Do you have to press S or A to get to the VC...?2. -3. -4. I have that too. But also with other switches. I didn't have that with payware aircraft in FS9 (never used default ones). I'd like to use the VC switches because that makes it all more realistic, but I'm forced to use the popup windows. I also do not really like those 2D popups because they are usually completely different than the VC layout...I have seen other weird things too, like a lever in a Mooney (if I remember well) moving opposite the one on the 2D popup window (and not moving at all when I click on it in the VC). Although, as said, I don't really like it, I've gotten used to using those 2D panels: they do look great and the advantage is that you can read what's written on the knobs and switches ;), because you can't read what's on the VC knobs and switches most of the time. I also noticed that changing the camera view a lot seem to disable 3D VC knobs and switches altogether. BTW In fact I am FORCED to use the popup windows because in the Baron with the G1000, which I fly with all the time, the VC doesn't have a Autopilot at all...Still, these are minor gripes indeed, because I'm having a LOT of fun with FS X!

My FSX always starts with the settings for the last saved flight: 2d/3d, Windowed or full screen mode. The one difference is that it will often start in windowed mode with a small window even though the last flight was saved as a maximised window.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.