Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Thoughts about LOCAL cache sizing?

For those of us lucky enough to have a fast (100Mb/s or greater) and reliable internet connection, what would the IDEAL cache size be?  I have experimented with large (500MB) and smaller (64MB) but was wondering if Asobo had any specific recommendations for this?  I have found that (only very) occasionally when I do get stutters, pausing the sim for 30 seconds to a minute seems to resolve the issue.

If you have noticed a particular setting has been more optimal than others, I would be interested.  Keep in mind that at the moment, I am flying in as varied locales as possible, as I am ENJOYING seeing the world on my desk- for the first time with enough STOCK detail to fully exploit my willing suspension of disbelief.  BRAVO ASOBO!

Ta- C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I'm also flying in a variety of places so the 30GB cache I had set aside was not being read much. My sim SSD is only half a Terabyte so drive space is precious to me, and it wasn't long before I deleted the cache as virtually redundent. My internet bandwidth is unlimited so there's no reaching a monthly download limit which makes the cache unnecessary anyhow - unless it is to help save MS's monthly bandwidth bill.

I expect the cache option was provided to help people with limited bandwidth, as are the data usage warnings provided on the data options page.

Mike Beckwith

Mike-

I just deleted and cancelled my rolling cache.  I will report back with my observations in case others are perplexed by this issue.  Thanks for your thoughts.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

5 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Mike-

I just deleted and cancelled my rolling cache.  I will report back with my observations in case others are perplexed by this issue.  Thanks for your thoughts.

C

As I fly the Longitude allot I found the Cache extremely important to curbing the CTD issue I was having initially.  Areas where I've had a CTD, that location is stored in cache as I've flown there already and another pass through results in no problem.  Without cache my sim would crash allot in the same areas and cache I discovered resolved the issue.  Denver for me had so many spots of failure it took me some time to be able to fly a full approach into KBJC.  Once I was finally able to get to shot final I never had a problem again.  As I fly to allot of places I have my cache set to 60GB.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Ok... I don’t fly the Longitude but only the 152 with mods, the 172 and the Carenado Mooney at the moment, but I have now set it to 64GB on my nVme MSFS drive. I wish I could find Rob Ainscough’s thoughts on this... I think I remember him saying something about the Rolling Cache...

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I don’t use any cache. I fly in different areas every time, so, it would be pointless as far as I’m aware. 

5 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Disabled rolling and manual cache,  v-sync.  runs like butter and looks awesome.

So if these are shut off what are you missing visually - what gets affected ? thanks 

Rich Sennett

15 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Disabled rolling and manual cache,  v-sync.  runs like butter and looks awesome.

You leaving photogrammetry on or off 

Rich Sennett