Sign in to follow this  
BobP

***Flashing Sky/Clouds***

Guest Fjorko

Hi allI have noticed this last night while I had Dynamic weather enabled ( FSX Default - not ASV6 ) . The sky/clouds infront of me "Flashes" randomly for about a half a second,. Almost like a very quick dark flash of some sort but very briefly and every few seconds. I have read other users experiencing similar issues but after a search on this forum, couldn't find an exact match to what I am experiencing, but the symptoms are the same.Anyone else experiencing this, and what might be causing it ?I'm running Forceware 93.71 drivers.Thanks

Guest dutton

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what caused it. I would see a flash for a second every 8-10 seconds. To me, it has to be a driver issue. I would experiment with a few. It could also be a setting in the CFG if you have edited it. I really wish I could help you more, but mine is gone now and the only thing I have really done is change drivers. I am running the second latest, forget the version right now.duttonhttp://dutton.fsblogger.com/

Using real world weather, I experienced something similar. It only happend when I was facing the sun. The clouds would blink in & out. If I looked away from the sun everything was OK. I solved it by turning off lens flare.Jim

Try turning off the Bloom if you have it checked.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You are not alone.I, too, am experiencing the same problem. It doesn't always happen but when it does it will be a lower altitudes - under 2000 agl or so. I figured it was a driver issue as well and experimented with various Nvidia drivers but no luck resolving it. I haven't noticed if it occurs when I'm facing the sun or not but will definately try turning the lens flare off.

Guest dutton

How about that! After typing my message above on the laptop, my PC started to do this very thing again. I was approaching Unalaska in the Lear with real world weather on.Taxiing in, I turned off the weather and it was gone, the flashing that is. I am going to do a bit more testing but it appears to me when there is a low haze/stratus layer and you are in it, this happens. Remembering a bit more back to when I saw it before, it was always on low flights so this makes sense to me.duttonhttp://dutton.fsblogger.com/

Same here:First I thought it was lighning, but looking at the METAR for KSFO, there was no convective activity. Looks to me like a "bug".I'm running Vista RC2+ATI Vista RTM drivers

Guest dutton

Yep, just did some testing. I am only seeing it with a layer of stratus and when I am 'in' that layer. Does not appear to be relevant which direction you are flying - away from or into sun - at least when you are in the stratus layer.duttonhttp://dutton.fsblogger.com/

Guest Fjorko

Yes, exactly the same experience here...flying low and in reduced visibility with stratus cloudsBloom isn't enabled for me..will check lens flare..I am seeing some white flashes now with ASV 6.5 and bad stuttering when weather refreshes, just installed beta build, so will test now and see what happensACES are you aware of these flashing issues ?Many thanks..

Guest babua

To me this happens when i overclock the graphics card beyond a limit. Don't if thats the reason for you all.

Guest Fjorko

Nope, I don't overclockFlashes are happening when using ASV also, only in the beginning when it updates wheather though....Massive dip in FPS when wheather get written to FSX.... and heavy stuttering..... once wheather is updated all goes back to normal speed....there must be something wrong between FSX and AS6.5

I am pretty sure it is an "undocumented feature" (bug) of FSX. I have had the problem since the demo and beta. Peter Dowson is aware of it and I think he stated it is Simconnect issue. Of course my memory is a brain connect issue and I might be remembering it wrong. :)Bob...

Guest Agrajag

Has anyone solved this? It's ruining FSX for me. I get it reliably nearly every time I fly as I fly on VATSIM 90% of the time and they seem to almost always have haze layers (for whatever reason).I've had 3 different Nvidia driver versions, tried all types of settings, turned features on and off, all to no avail.The only "fix" is to turn off weather when it's around.I know Nvidia engineers and have pointed this out to them but have gotten no response from them on it. Clearly their a bit busy with a laundry list of bugs already.I'm new to Nvidia after years with ATI and this certainly isn't a good way to start out with them.I even swapped EVGA cards to no avail.

Guest RonB49

Hi Rich,If it's any consolation, I had the same (or similar) problem with my ATI card. Have you tried creating your own weather? For me the flashing only occurred when I used real (downloaded) weather; I could set up complex multileveled clouds within my own weather themes and everything worked fine. Try it and see.Have you installed SP1? I have not seen this problem since I installed SP1. In fact I have considered uninstalling SP1 but have resisted the urge because of this problem.R-

Guest Agrajag

As I fly mainly on Vatsim, creating my own weather would be a bit problematic. It wouldn't match what everyone else was seeing.I do indeed have SP1 installed which is what concerns me.