Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adverse Yawn

School for learning to fly taildraggers?

Guest Charlie Hall

Hi,I am a simmer in the UK but my son is wanting to learn to fly, probably in the US or Canada. He has been advised by a pilot (ATPL) that the best way to learn is in a taildragger, due to the C of G positioning and rudder control required. He is having difficulty finding a school that teaches taildraggers from scratch. Ideally, he wants to gain a CPL(A) and then work as a Bush Pilot (hence the taildragger learning), maybe in Canada or the tropics, possibly securing Bush work or similar with the school that he trains with. Alternatively in the interim of qualifying as a CPL(A), building hours as an instructor.Can anyone help to locate a suitable school please?

Obviously, the pilot suggesting a "taildragger" is of the mindset, that a wheel on the back, is the only way to fly. But being practical, it's going to be harder to find a plane, a school, an instructor, and enough aircraft, should the taildragger be in maintenance etc.Also, few taildraggers will have the modern panels that are available in today's new training machines. I'd say, forget the taildragger "only" mentality, find a school that uses tri-gear, then either get a mix of some taildragging during the instruction process, or just go for a taildragging endorcement afterwords. My taildragging instruction consisted of the Pitts S2B, and a Maule, but most time was with Piper & Cessna nose wheelers.L.Adamson

To add to that: ever more bushflying is using modern aircraft like C207/207, Caravan, and the like.Those old taildraggers are getting really old and they're being used hard.They're still out there, but they're no longer the only game in town by any means.

Guest Adverse Yawn

Remain open minded, even about training the US. From other peoples experiences, even though the book cost is half to a third of the price in Europe, some the JAA schools in the US are shiesters with decrepit aircraft and/or on the verge of bankrupcy (not all, but some).Vis-vis the taildragger option, I currently on the last stage of my ATPL flight training. I converted to tail draggers a while back and I don't really know what the fuss is about. Sure they are a little more tricky on the ground and in crosswinds, and they are are a WHOLE HEAP of FUN! But this taildragger snobery is quite misplaced IMHO.The best site to pose questions like this is www.pprune.org (Professional Pilots Runour Network).

Guest Charlie Hall

Thank you for your responses which have helped greatly.My son has registered and posted on the Professional Pilots Runour Network and got several replies within minutes! I think what he has found will help him to decide how to best approach the whole situation.Regards,

Guest Adverse Yawn

Best of luck to your son.