Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

manually tuning Com radios in a320?

Where do the COM radios normally get tuned in the a320?  I ask because while I can do it manually with the radio panels next to the throttle, I noticed using the ATC menu they don't change unlike something like the TBM.  I'm assuming in the FMC somewhere but I can't find a working page?  The NAV/RAD page only seems to be for nav radios.  So, not sure if using the radio panels is correct or?

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

There's a button on the panel under the FMC.  If I remember correctly, it's marked either as NAVRAD or TUN.  Something like that.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

3 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

There's a button on the panel under the FMC.  If I remember correctly, it's marked either as NAVRAD or TUN.  Something like that.

Yes as I mentioned above, the RAD/NAV button/page only has VOR, ILS, ADF radio settings.  There doesn't seem to be any com radio settings in the FMC.  Using the ATC window to change the radios it's not obvious where it's setting it because the totally separate radio panels never change.  However if I manually change those, it still works.  Seems like there's a hidden page the ATC window is using or something in the A320.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

1 hour ago, flyinion said:

Yes as I mentioned above, the RAD/NAV button/page only has VOR, ILS, ADF radio settings.  There doesn't seem to be any com radio settings in the FMC.  Using the ATC window to change the radios it's not obvious where it's setting it because the totally separate radio panels never change.  However if I manually change those, it still works.  Seems like there's a hidden page the ATC window is using or something in the A320.

I think that @andyjohnston.net was referring to the physical location of the panel on the central pedestal, not the MCDU page:

1 hour ago, GearUp180 said:

I think that @andyjohnston.net was referring to the physical location of the panel on the central pedestal, not the MCDU page:

Ah ok. Yeah that’s the panel I’m using. I was just confused because nothing changes on it when you use the ATC window to tune the changes. Like in the TBM if you did that the frequency would change in radio display. If I rotate the knob myself it changes etc just as you would expect. I’m just wondering where the ATC window is changing it though. 

4 hours ago, flyinion said:

Ah ok. Yeah that’s the panel I’m using. I was just confused because nothing changes on it when you use the ATC window to tune the changes. Like in the TBM if you did that the frequency would change in radio display. If I rotate the knob myself it changes etc just as you would expect. I’m just wondering where the ATC window is changing it though. 

Roger.

I am away from my computer therefore, it is hard for me to check it now.

I wouldn't be surprised it it was one of the many hugs on this aircraft. You may check the flight simulator website or the Fly by wire project to see if it has been reported (and may be being addressed).

I've just checked on my side (luckily without any CTD) the MSFS ATC doesn't tune the RMP (note that the old default FSX A321 does it).

At this stage, trying to fly this plane seems like acting as an alpha tester: not for me, thanks.

31 minutes ago, GearUp180 said:

At this stage, trying to fly this plane seems like acting as an alpha tester: not for me, thanks.

The fact that the MSFS ATC doesn't change the frequency shown on the radio display is a game breaker for you? Why not just change it manually before you use the ATC window to change frequencies if it so important to have the correct frequency showing on the radio?

57 minutes ago, Donstim said:

The fact that the MSFS ATC doesn't change the frequency shown on the radio display is a game breaker for you?

Honestly, that's the very least of my concerns considering the one mile list of defects / not implemented functions of this aircraft.

I do not use the crappy ATC anyway.

59 minutes ago, Donstim said:

Why not just change it manually before you use the ATC window to change frequencies if it so important to have the correct frequency showing on the radio?

If having some broken functions compared to the old FSX doesn't bother you, keep founding this kind of software.

1 hour ago, GearUp180 said:

If having some broken functions compared to the old FSX doesn't bother you, keep founding this kind of software.

Not sure what "keep founding this kind of software" means. In any case, I agree with your previous message that this less than even minor bug is the very least of my concerns. I'm also normally a VATSIM flyer, so I couldn't care less about this issue. But even in the case where I would use the MSFS ATC, since it automatically switches you to the correct frequency in the ATC window, I also couldn't care less about what frequency shows in the radio display.

I don't recall the FSX A321 having anything more than the default FSX autopilot, let alone an FMC (even one that is not fully functional), high AOA envelope protection, bank angle protection, managed/selected nav and altitude modes, etc. etc. You will get nowhere fast trying to present the FSX A321 as being more complete, bug-free, or realistic than the MSFS one. While I would like to see more functionality and features included (e.g, VNAV), I don't expect expect an FSLABS A-320 level sim in this default airplane.

Edited by Donstim

1 minute ago, Donstim said:

Not sure what "keep founding this kind of software" means. In any case, I agree with your previous message that this less than even minor bug is the very least of my concerns. I'm also normally a VATSIM flyer, so I couldn't care less about this issue. But even in the case where I would use the MSFS ATC, since it automatically switches you to the correct frequency in the ATC window, I also couldn't care less about what frequency shows in the radio display.

I don't recall the FSX A321 having anything more than the default FSX autopilot, let alone an FMC (even one that is not fully functional), high AOA envelope protection, bank angle protection, managed/selected nav and altitude modes, etc. etc. You will get nowhere fast trying to present the FSX A321 as being more realistic than the MSFS one. While I would like to see more functionality and features included (e.g, VNAV), I don't expect expect an FSLABS A-320 level sim in this default airplane.

I started this thread because while the default ATC can tune it for you, I'm trying to learn to do it manually finally so I can get into vatsim flying.  Because letting ATC change it was not updating the radio panel in the A320 I thought maybe I was missing something and maybe tuning things in the wrong spot.  I started this thread to verify where the correct spot is supposed to be to tune them for that reason, not so people can debate default aircraft and ATC capabilities in general.  

• Like 1