Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Bird Dog Released

37 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Thanks for the heads up Rich!

No way on earth I'm going to be the 1st....and at $29.07 US....not sure I'd ever be a buyer.  Not sure why he thinks its gonna sell a no-frills airplane at that price....he may be in for a shock (or we will, LOL)

Looking closely at the textures....looks like there has been no advanced PBR work done (All 3 channel mapping work, or baked in blender or other advanced rendering tools).  I'm looking specifically at the zinc chromate paint (green primer) in the cockpit....looks all painted on the aldedo map...all flat with no texturing.   Hope someone buys it with better screenshot skills than whoever took them on the marketing page....did not inspire me at all to open the wallet.

Hope folks who do will report back on their impressions.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

sad to see some of this add ons being put out in this state . 

• Like 3

Image removed as image is no longer available.

4 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Review from a a guy at MSFS 2020 Forums

LOL...posted at the same time I was making the observations based on the pics on the website.

The "Please do something about that polygon look in front of you" was something I was going to comment on, but I wanted to get some pics of real planes to compare it to 1st (Maybe in real life they were cut like that....nope).  Yeah...the shape of the instrument panel is absolutely horrid, with the texturing/weathering no better as seen on the pics they post on it.  The "round" shape of the top of the panel is polygonal, you can see the nodes...no excuse for that.....simply not acceptable for a $29 plane in MSFS. 

I know this was one review and it was "quick"....however, I already know my buying decision on this one...but let's see what happens in the next few days.  😉

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I bought it.  I like it and will fly it alot with the floats.  Thought the cockpit looks amateurish but looked at photos of the real bird dog and that's how it looked.  So I'm happy.  

https://imgpile.com/i/umi7Px

• Like 1

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Nearly $30 for what is obviously just a straight across the board FSX/P3D 4.0 port of what even in FSX/P3D would be considered a sub-standard model?  I'm good thanks..  Grifters gonna grift. 

• Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

10 minutes ago, styckx said:

Nearly $30 for what is obviously just a straight across the board FSX/P3D 4.0 port of what even in FSX/P3D would be considered a sub-standard model?  I'm good thanks..  Grifters gonna grift. 

yah I've bought so many addons gonna slow down.  Now if a Lockheed Constellation or DC-3 or DC-4 comes along I'm game lol.

I don't intend to buy anything that isn't on the MSFS marketplace.

I can deal with managing free things in the Community folder but I'm not going to subject myself to coordinating multiple installers and launchers from all manner of 3rd party vendors.  

That's been a big turnoff to me from flight sims in the past, now is no different.

• Upvote 2

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

44 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

I don't intend to buy anything that isn't on the MSFS marketplace.

I can deal with managing free things in the Community folder but I'm not going to subject myself to coordinating multiple installers and launchers from all manner of 3rd party vendors.  

That's been a big turnoff to me from flight sims in the past, now is no different.

Same.. I've over that myself as I get older.. I'm only 43, but it's exhausting to think about going down the road of keeping track of numerous purchases across 30 different websites. 

• Upvote 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

BlackBox don't have the best of reputations with anything they have done.  It seems that legacy continues with the simple Birddog.  Judging from the extract above, 'this isn't right, that isn't right'...no sounds, flap extension incorrect.  God, really?  I thought this was a 'back to basics' project to recoup some credibility. It seems not.

Edited by ErichB

Texturewise, BB has always been more or less word not allowed! So I am not a bit surprised...

4 hours ago, styckx said:

$30 is (LOL) ridiculous.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.