Sign in to follow this  
NM5K

Two FSX configuration questions.

Two questions. 1 - For those of you who turn of all Autogen, how do you keep the airport hangers from disappearing? Last night I experimented with autogen off to see unobstructed 7cm texture views and when I landed at KSFO not only was there no autogen, there were no TERMINALS EITHER! 2 - Textures stay stable in the ultralight flying at 55 mph over 7cm textures. In the Canadair BusinessJet at 350kts the textures NEVER, NEVER, NEVER catch up with the aircraft! With autogen OFF, I flew into KSFO (no terminals!) and the 7cm textures were a blurry mess never catch up even after the aircraft was parked and off! The textures look STUNNING at 7cm and I agree that autogen is not even needed, but at 1m, its pretty much what we have in FS9 and does not really look good without autogen. What texture size is everyone without autogen running (and flying with jet aircraft - not a problem low and slow)?

Guest tdragger

<>Are you referring to just the road textures? Setting resolution to anything less than 1m won't help terrain at all and is just abusing your system.

Do you have everything else turned up?-I have all the buildings-cities,terminals showing ok, and all scenery settings maxed-except the one Taildragger mentioned. I have a feeling you might not have scenery complexity at "extremely dense" which would be why buildings are vanishing?If you are going to try the no autogen approach I'd suggest turning anisotropic all the way up-antialising to mid range 2xq, and quality to highest settings. Then make sure global texture is "very high".Edit-I also bumped my frame fiber up to .44 so the textures stay clear.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Mike, as Mike Gilbert says, it is useless to turn the ground textures to greater than 1 meter - that is their maximum resolution. By the way, the FS 9 textures were not 1 meter at all, but 4.77 meters per pixel. Therefore, FS X textures have 16 times greater resolution!To allocate more resources for eliminating the blurries, please try the Fiber Frame Time key.As for seeing hangars, perhaps you could try turning down the number of autogen objects with the config tweak, and then turn the setting back up. For example, you could try:TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=600This is about twice the autogen density of FS 9, so a setting of Extremely High will give a lot of autogen.With just a little more effort, you should be able to achieve very good performance even in high-density areas such as Seattle.Best regards.Luis

HEY! This got buried at the bottom of the pile. Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I'm talking about the terrain graphics. I did notice a large difference with 7cm down much lower in altitude than the 1m. If I'd even consider dumping my autogen 7cm looks much crisper...but I don't wanna "abuse my system"...the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Computers (ASPCC) will be on my butt!

I've been running at 7cm since about day two..I tried testing the various resolutions and saw little difference in framerate. So I maxed it out... They look great on my box, and my box is quite a bit less than yours.I've not noticed the "blurries" at high speeds, etc..But I haven't actually tried a jet at low alt doing 350 kts.That is illegal.. :/ I always run 250 kts or less when below10k feet unless under the clincal supervision of a doktor..I'll try that later though. The only time I notice blurries, or reduced landclass res is when the video card gets maxed out, and it starts going off to the cache. But as long as I don't run the AG at high values, I don't get that. So.. I only run AG at sparce, or medium. Never higher. It will overload myvideo card and cause simulator infarction. I like autogen for low flying, as I like lots of trees. But for the jets, I turn it off, and just look at the landclass.At high alt, thats all you really see anyway. I've had some combo's of WX, VIS, and lanclass that looked fairly stunning.Add the reflections off the windows, and it's almost like being there. Yep, at first I was kinda leary about the windowreflections, but after using it a while, I'm starting to like it.I tried FS9 today after two weeks of FSX, and it was pretty "flat"looking without them. One saving grace about the autogen. At least when you are out in the boonies, you can run a lot of trees withouta big hit in fps. With the jets, I get no problem low and slow. "250 kts under 10 thou"I do aerobatics in the extra with 7cm landclass and AG off. Looks fine at all times and I run 30-40 fps if at a small airport. MK

><>>>Are you referring to just the road textures? Setting>resolution to anything less than 1m won't help terrain at all>and is just abusing your system.I did notice that I couldn't see much difference between say 1m, and 7cm.. But I saw no real frame hit using 7cm, so I kept using it. Myself, I'm referring to the landclasstextures, not the road textures. MK