Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

How Do You Pronounce This Name

I think Daw-Her is the one i have heard the most. Which doesn't necessarily mean its right though... 😛

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

It can also almost be dā, with the slightest hint of on h mid vowel.

Proper nouns are often pronounced at the preference of bearer, rather than by any particular phonetic rule.

S-O-C-A-T-A

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

M-O-O-N-E-Y 301

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

LOL....and nobody's said it yet.....TBM

Bonus points for knowing what it stands for (without Googling) 🙂

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 minute ago, Mike S KPDX said:

M-O-O-N-E-Y 301

Hehe....that's the M in TBM

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Google "Daher pronounced" and press on the speaker to hear it

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

26 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Without Googling I know the M is for Mooney, and the first for city names related to Socata’s origin, but that’s where my memory fails me...

2 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Da-hair, it's French, see 1m36s, 5m54s, 9m12s etc in official video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ZAR0FA7m3AA&t=1m36s

i my 😄 it´s german not french. pronounced correctly like "dah-hair" if you are english tounge. It means "from there" or similar. 

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

9 minutes ago, BerndB said:

i my 😄 it´s german not french. pronounced correctly like "dah-hair" if you are english tounge. It means "from there" or similar. 

Daher might be a common German name but the Daher corp. is definitely French. The founder was born September 29th, 1854 in Marseille.

At the 12 second mark, the young lady pronounces it correctly in French.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

If you wanna be picky, since the Yanks got there first with that designation, it stand for Torpedo Bomber, Motors, it being the alternate designation for the Grumman TBF Avenger for variants built at the shadow General Motors factory in WW2, these being TBMs rather than TBFs.

But, if you mean TBM in relation to that 'French Mooney', then TBM stands for the place where Daher are based - previously SOCATA, and if you go back far enough, originally Morane-Saulnier - which is Tarbes, with an M for Mooney added to it, to form TBM. This is because the 850 is an evolution of a Mooney design, and Mooney eventually became part of SOCATA.

Tarbes is in the very southern tip of France near the Pyrenees and is home to quite a bit of transport-related business in France. Some of SOCATA's production used to be near Paris when they made stuff like the (also very nice) Rallye, Tampico, Trinidad and Tobago models, but's nearly all down in Tarbes now. 

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here