Sign in to follow this  
McCrash

Carenado's FSX Patch - some Questions

Guest Len

Okay, maybe I'm an Idiot but how does this thing work? Downloaded the patch. Ran the FS9toFSX utility. Aim it to the main FSX folder. Run it. Then opens up command-type window and states:Deleting Old files.The system cannot find the file specified.DONE!!Press any key to continue.The planes show up in FSX but without gauges. Actually what I did was copied the folders over finally because I didn't know what the patch was doing. I take it the gauges are placed in the gauges folder of FSX? I tried the C-182 but no gauges. Questions, questions..

Hi. Don't feel bad. I have had my Mentor working quite well in FSX prior to the patch. You have to copy the Mentor gauges from the FS9 Gauges folder over into the FSX Gauges folder. I ran the patch thinking it was going to fix the problem I had (wrong view of the wing mounted lights in the right and left 2D panel views). I ran it at least ten times always with the same errors as you get. It says it can't find the files. I have written to Carenado twice. Both answers from them say I did not follow the instructions, which I did to the letter. I made an e-mail to them including screenshots of every step of the process. I have not heard back from them. I have asked twice what the patch actually does, and received no answer from them. I hate installers. I wish they would post what it does and post a zip file with the patch files so we could do the install and patch ourselves. I was going to buy their C-182RG because I was so happy with the T-34, which I used to actually fly. I will buy nothing from them until they solve the patch problems. Regards, Bob.

Hi. Yes I did but you can put them in the panel folder if you want. Either way it will work. As a side issue, after posting above, I just ran the patch program to a dummy folder, not FSX. All it is is a batch file copy program that copies the FS9 files to FSX. It is an installer, NOT a patch to correct any errors. It does nothing to correct any errors seen in FSX. Regards, Bob.

Guest Len

>Hi. Don't feel bad. I have had my Mentor working quite well>in FSX prior to the patch. You have to copy the Mentor gauges>from the FS9 Gauges folder over into the FSX Gauges folder. I>ran the patch thinking it was going to fix the problem I had>(wrong view of the wing mounted lights in the right and left>2D panel views). I ran it at least ten times always with the>same errors as you get. It says it can't find the files. I>have written to Carenado twice. Both answers from them say I>did not follow the instructions, which I did to the letter. I>made an e-mail to them including screenshots of every step of>the process. I have not heard back from them. I have asked>twice what the patch actually does, and received no answer>from them. I hate installers. I wish they would post what it>does and post a zip file with the patch files so we could do>the install and patch ourselves. I was going to buy their>C-182RG because I was so happy with the T-34, which I used to>actually fly. I will buy nothing from them until they solve>the patch problems. Regards, Bob. Ok Bob thanks. Somebody had posted they copied the files over and got it to work without the patch. But left no instructions. Don't know what the problems are but maybe someone can come up with a solution.

Guest JimC1702

Instead of copying anything over from FS9, you should be INSTALLING the planes into FSX. Just run the original installer and point it to your FSX folder. It will install the planes in a folder called Aircraft. Then run the patch. All it does is move the planes from Aircraft to SimObjects/Airplanes and then deletes the Aircraft folder.Jim

Hi Jim. You are right. That's fine if you still have the installer. I don't know where mine is. I just copied mine as required to meet the new paths and folders in FSX, plus copying the gauges and effects. It's not that hard. I understand that lots of users can't install them without an installer. I thought, as did many others, that the patch fixed up any problems in FSX with the old FS9 configurations. I know now that all it was is an installer and not a patch. Regards, Bob.

Guest Len

>Instead of copying anything over from FS9, you should be>INSTALLING the planes into FSX. Just run the original>installer and point it to your FSX folder. It will install>the planes in a folder called Aircraft. Then run the patch. >All it does is move the planes from Aircraft to>SimObjects/Airplanes and then deletes the Aircraft folder.>>Jim>Ah hah! Ok. I have the installers and ran them. But I was aiming them at the SimObjects folder of FSX.

>Hi. Yes I did but you can put them in the panel folder if you>want. Either way it will work. >>As a side issue, after posting above, I just ran the patch>program to a dummy folder, not FSX. All it is is a batch file>copy program that copies the FS9 files to FSX. It is an>installer, NOT a patch to correct any errors. It does nothing>to correct any errors seen in FSX. Regards, Bob.Yes either way works most of the time but not always.