Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

Delta Planning to Retire More Aircraft

Just read that Delta announced it will be retiring all its Boeing 717s and 767-300ERs by December 2025, as well as the CRJ-200s by December 2023.

With the recent MD-80 and MD-90 retirements, there will be no more rear engine aircraft flying for any of the major U.S. carriers.. The regional airlines will still use them, although those are gradually being replaced as well.

I got to fly on a Northwest Airlines DC-9 back in 2007.  I was seated near the back of the plane and I remember the loud noise and strong vibrations when they started the engines.  The experience was a bit unsettling, as I knew it was an old plane, but I have to admit that it was kind of exciting as well.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Hey Dave: Good topic. In my older posts i brought out the good old days of flying coach. Flying right by an engine with a cup of coffee, and a cigarette hearing the old Pratts on a 727.Eastern Airlines had the whisperjet slogan.Whisper my you know what!!!!!!!I loved watching the worm gears, and CV driveshafts pushing out flaps in the tracks with the motors under the floor.The Fowler flap system was a neat thing to watch.All back in the 1970's I miss old school flying.Flying these days has no finesse.

• Like 3

Oh my goodness those sweet old rumbling belching prop liners like the DC's, Martin's and Convairs. If we're getting nostalgic let's do it right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

Never got to fly in the old propliners Vic. That must have been fun also with flames shooting out the exhaust pipes etc.Flight attendants wearing those military style caps. etc.Years ago i went to an airshow, and a flying Martin 404 was on display. i got on board , The nostalgic look , and smell was so great. the attendant was dressed 1950's. Loved it.

1 hour ago, Paul Deluca said:

Hey Dave: Good topic. In my older posts i brought out the good old days of flying coach. Flying right by an engine with a cup of coffee, and a cigarette hearing the old Pratts on a 727.Eastern Airlines had the whisperjet slogan.Whisper my you know what!!!!!!!I loved watching the worm gears, and CV driveshafts pushing out flaps in the tracks with the motors under the floor.The Fowler flap system was a neat thing to watch.All back in the 1970's I miss old school flying.Flying these days has no finesse.

Yep, on my first airline flight back in 1989, on the way to basic training and pretty scared actually, I remember people smoking, dropping their ashes in the little armrest ashtray.  I don't recall what the aircraft was, unfortunately.

In the Air Force I got to fly on a C-141 Starlifter across the Atlantic from the UK to South Carolina with a stop in the Azores.  It had these cool looking, really long, and really loud, Pratt & Whitney TF33 engines.

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

Oh my goodness those sweet old rumbling belching prop liners like the DC's, Martin's and Convairs. If we're getting nostalgic let's do it right.

What I wouldn't give to be able to fly in a DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, Constellation, etc.  Even better, a Short Empire or Boeing Clipper flying boat from the 1930s.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

From the 50's on I flew many trips on UA DC6/7's, FL Convair 540/580's, CO Vicars Viscounts, all kinds of 727's, 707's, DC8's, TW Convair 880's, DC9's, 737's, L1011's, DC10's, and also quite a few 747's, 757's and a couple on 767's. I believe I had 1 trip on the the British airplane with 4 engines on the rear end.

I Joined the USMCR in 1955 and flew to summer camp at MCRD in SAN on a C-47(DC3) from MKE and it took all day. I flew a DC3 from from GUA to Tikal once in the 70's and that was scary!

I went to work for PAA in 1962 and the next year my boss sent me to HNL on a PA 707 for familiarization.

I was in F/CL on the PAA 747 inauguration flt from ORD to SNN.

In 1984 I went to work for Frontier Horizon Airlines and rode the jump seat on about a dozen 727-200 trips. Also rode the jump seat on a MX 727 from ACA to DEN.

About 6yrs ago I had a ride on a Beaver at Ketchikan, AK.

Oh, almost forgot, I had a comp seat on a BA Concord from IAD to LHR in the early 80's!

Bruce

Hey Dave: You mentioned an unsettling experience flying in  the DC-9. Back in the 70's we just got pushed back, and started to taxi  The plane was a 727.As we were going down the taxiway,   the brakes sounded  metal to metal, .no vibration either . i was paranoid. I didn't say anything to the attendant.I figured the brakes were checked during walkaround.We landed in Nashville with no problems.I flew from Tucson to Phoenix in 1995, and soon  we flared out on the runway while  landing,  BANG!!!!!!! .compressor stall  #2 engine.B-737. I didn't understand the theory back then ,like i do now.I said nothing to the crew.

8 minutes ago, brucets said:

From the 50's on I flew many trips on UA DC6/7's, FL Convair 540/580's, CO Vicars Viscounts, all kinds of 727's, 707's, DC8's, TW Convair 880's, DC9's, 737's, L1011's, DC10's, and also quite a few 747's, 757's and a couple on 767's. I believe I had 1 trip on the the British airplane with 4 engines on the rear end.

I Joined the USMCR in 1955 and flew to summer camp at MCRD in SAN on a C-47(DC3) from MKE and it took all day. I flew a DC3 from from GUA to Tikal once in the 70's and that was scary!

I went to work for PAA in 1962 and the next year my boss sent me to HNL on a PA 707 for familiarization.

I was in F/CL on the PAA 747 inauguration flt from ORD to SNN.

In 1984 I went to work for Frontier Horizon Airlines and rode the jump seat on about a dozen 727-200 trips. Also rode the jump seat on a MX 727 from ACA to DEN.

About 6yrs ago I had a ride on a Beaver at Ketchikan, AK.

Oh, almost forgot, I had a comp seat on a BA Concord from IAD to LHR in the early 80's!

Bruce

Wow Bruce: You run circles around my flights. Got to fly in the De Havilland Dash-7 I was like a kid in a toy store.Twotter on steroids.

Well, Paul, I was in the airline and travel business my entire working career. I was sick of airports and airplanes for several years after I retired! I've forgotten many, many trips.

What is fun for me in FSX is I can redo so many trips and recognize the airports and terrain. And I don't have to go to an airport and get on a real plane to do it!!

Bruce

Edited by brucets

29 minutes ago, brucets said:

Well, Paul, I was in the airline and travel business my entire working career. I was sick of airports and airplanes for several years after I retired! I've forgotten many, many trips.

What is fun for me in FSX is I can redo so many trips and recognize the airports and terrain. And I don't have to go to an airport and get on a real plane to do it!!

Bruce

Thanks for the comeback Bruce: Don't blame you. Rough business to be in. I see Expressjet is throwing the towel in tomorrow. For years, i thought the name was a slogan for United.I was at KBDL Bradley Airport,  and i saw one of their planes. What brand is it? This was years ago . Then i saw a Brazilian newspaper. There was the plane.  Embraer  145.  HAPPY FLYING!!!!!!

Edited by Paul Deluca

Wow! Didn't know that! Have a good buddy in Denver who retired from Express Jet(Continental) about 6yrs ago. He flew the ER 135/145 and ended up as a sim instructor at IAH! Going to call him right now and see about this! Thanks, Paul!

Bruce

11 minutes ago, brucets said:

Wow! Didn't know that! Have a good buddy in Denver who retired from Express Jet(Continental) about 6yrs ago. He flew the ER 135/145 and ended up as a sim instructor at IAH! Going to call him right now and see about this! Thanks, Paul!

Bruce

You're welcome. Please let us know more about the shutdown besides what i have read on the net. Thanks again