Sign in to follow this  
ek1

Can I install and run FSX on an SSD

Hi all, I posted this originally in the hardware section of the forums but I thought maybe this might get a little bit better View since I'm sure there are more people looking at FSX than Hardware Maybe. I'm considering buying a solid state drive and installing FSX on it. I'd like to know what constraints there are and if there's anything I should look at for specifically thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thanks,

Ed Kammerman

This means your post in the Hardware forum will be shut down.  Can't have 2 of the same topics going.

Also keep in mind that you are discussing hardware, so this topic might be moved back into the hardware forum.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Ed, there shouldn't be any issues at all. I run my sim on a SSD and never had any problems. You will usually get software with the SSD, if you do follow the recommendations on how to regularly check the drive. Obviously you can't defrag a SSD so this software works to keep the drive running in top condition.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by MartinRex007
  • Like 1

Hi Martin, I neglected to mention like I want to do this with an external SSD versus internal would that make any difference thanks Ed

3 hours ago, ek1 said:

Hi Martin, I neglected to mention like I want to do this with an external SSD versus internal would that make any difference thanks Ed

You can run FSX on any external drive.  Keep in mind it will be a bit slower than running it off an internal drive since it takes additional time for data to be transferred to and from the external drive.  If you are concerned about your internal drive space, you may want to look into upgrading the storage of your internal drive.  SSDs are far preferred  over traditional drives.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I have an older Dell XPS 8900 so unfortunately I'm limited to a solid state drive size that's why I want to go to an external.

Addendum, my computer has a 3 terabyte SATA drive. But I've been having a constant crash to desktop and I'm getting tired of it so I think I'm going to go ahead and just add an external solid state drive.

Adding an ssd will probably not resolve your CTD problem!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

26 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Adding an ssd will probably not resolve your CTD problem!

Ed, I agree with Charlie, you need to try and figure out what is causing your CTD, an external SSD unlikely will help solve that issue.

Cheers

Martin