Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

Why Not Overclocking Helps?

I am running my I7-8700 and GTX 1080 not overclocked just to try and see what would happen. Why now do the micro stutters seem to subside. Not stop but more enjoyable? Ideas?

Chris Chiozza

Interesting.

Try installing process Lasso  right click on the fs2020 process while the game is running and set Windows Dynamic Thread priority to disabled.

Ok Great Will do, But do not overclock? Thanks

Edited by cchiozza

Chris Chiozza

You could try over clocking just one device, CPU or GPU does not matter which and see if you still get stutters.  If you do try overclocking the other device instead. 

Ah got it, the lasso trick appears to have helped as well. Best two flight since I purchased. Thank You again! What about hyper threading?

Edited by cchiozza

Chris Chiozza

Also check Application power profile > Bitsum Highest Performance and see how that helps. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Being a DX11 the game can only use a limited number of cores so hyperthreading is probably not useful.  I have not tried disabling it though.

One other thing you can do is set the game to use the high performance power scheme and set IO for the game to high priority as well.

The site below recommends configuring the CPU limiter in Lasso, I have not tried this so no idea if it helps.

https://www.ghostarrow.com/increase-fps-and-performance-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020#7_High_CPU_Usage_Fix

31 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Being a DX11 the game can only use a limited number of cores so hyperthreading is probably not useful.  I have not tried disabling it though.

Depends on the CPU...  for a quad core CPU, I would leave it enabled.

For a six core CPU.. who knows..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I have tried disabling hyperthreading just to test, but it gave me less performance with my CPU, about 5-7 fps.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

For most people, Hyperthreading enabled in the CPU is the best option.

With the graphics card, when I overclocked my 1080TI, I got very little performance boost, but I did get a few crashes straight to desktop, and the card got stuttery when it got hot.

MSFS tends to utilise the graphics card right up to 100%, so if it gets to hot (due to overclocking), the card may throttle itself until the temperatures come back down, leading to performance loss.

My view is best to leave the card where it can run comfortably at 100%.  The extra frame or two you gain by overclocking really isn't worth it if it becomes unstable. 👍

PS. Believe it or not, I am actually under-clocking my graphics card slightly (GPU not the VRAM).  I do this because it can still hold 30 fps in most situations, but it also runs cooler, quieter (fans), and I have not had CTD's since.

Edited by bobcat999
PS

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

31 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

PS. Believe it or not, I am actually under-clocking my graphics card slightly (GPU not the VRAM).  I do this because it can still hold 30 fps in most situations, but it also runs cooler, quieter (fans), and I have not had CTD's since.

Underclocking or undervolting?  Undervolting can often achieve cooler and quieter at the same FPS.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I have read and follow instructions in above posts with the freemium version of proccess lasso and didn't get any improvement, same fps performance, better ram ussage, but could not see more value. Have you ever try in the free version? Apparently during the trial time it has all the value than the subscription license.

Thanks

Richard