Sign in to follow this  
flightsim1818

DirectX 12 vs Vulkan

What can we expect in terms of performance when there is DX12 support in FS2020? I have been flying in Xplane 11 Beta with Vulkan support for some time now and the difference is impressive. Can we expect the same improvements with DX12.

Anyone?

More or less the same. Both DX12 and Vulkan help shifting load from CPU to GPU. At least in XP11 we saw how Vulkan really really helped for those who were CPU limited (which is basically the majority of people using MSFS at this point) while didn't help much for those GPU limited.

• Like 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Vulkan in XP11 gave me QUITE A BOOST!

Can't say anywhere near the same regarding P3d v5 with DX12 :-/  Better but far from as good as XP11...

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

A boost and surprisingly with the Cores much more relaxed, from my 4cores ht off always at 100% to 60% approx., impressive.

totally dependant on the implementation of DX12.  No-one can say until it becomes available.  It couold do wonderful things.. it could make the sim unplayable..  only time will tell 🙂

Graham

• Upvote 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

3 hours ago, flightsim1818 said:

What can we expect in terms of performance when there is DX12 support in FS2020? I have been flying in Xplane 11 Beta with Vulkan support for some time now and the difference is impressive. Can we expect the same improvements with DX12.

Anyone?

When I tested P3D v5 (DX12) I noticed better performance, but DX12 utilizes more vRAM. Those with 8 gigs of vRAM had to lower their settings to prevent OOM CTDs.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

27 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

totally dependant on the implementation of DX12.  No-one can say until it becomes available.  It couold do wonderful things.. it could make the sim unplayable..  only time will tell 🙂

Graham

The former is more likely in my opinion, being Microsoft... if they can't use their own libraries properly, who can?

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Vulkan was a massive difference for me I posted my thoughts in the XP 11 thread on it but it was a significant gain for me.  As for DX12 I am not as hopeful just from past experience with these changes but maybe I will be surprised.  At least now we know when the patches will roughly drop so we can benchmark before and after and see.

1 hour ago, MrFuzzy said:

The former is more likely in my opinion, being Microsoft... if they can't use their own libraries properly, who can?

No one remember it`s MS that pushes out buggy windows updates that fix one thing then break something else, we have another big one next month October, but then some users block the updates WHY??.

You have games out there using DX12 and some users are having crashes due limited PC specs and VRAM.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

15 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

You have games out there using DX12 and some users are having crashes due limited PC specs and VRAM.

I’ve only ever had that with P3D.

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

I’ve only ever had that with P3D.

I have not had that with P3Dv5 and i don`t know your specs.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg