Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

ASOBO please give us VISIBILITY!...

No way to get it working properly, Aerosol Density is not the way and it's not even documented / explained to users, but above all, we really need to be able to set prevailing visibility like reported in METAR / SPECI / GAMET / TAF... unless it's just meant to be a pure VFR sim, with some into IMC features...

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Live Weather is working good for me, never used a weather preset, what visibility issue are you talking about?

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

I believe he refers to that awful.thick blue haze.  There's no reason for that haze to be that thick and blinding.

Very Unrealistic!

Don´t bother, Jose, they won´t even understand why you would want that 😂

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, joemiller said:

I believe he refers to that awful.thick blue haze.  There's no reason for that haze to be that thick and blinding.

Very Unrealistic!

this "awful thick blue haze" is in the MSFS is a little bit too little represented - FSX is not the reference how it should look like ! In reality it is mostly hazy or misty, but you can't see it from the ground !

10 minutes ago, Frostbitexp said:

Im pretty sure hes talking about the fact that the sim has very HIGH visibility at all times.

I think so too !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

No way to get it working properly, Aerosol Density is not the way and it's not even documented / explained to users, but above all, we really need to be able to set prevailing visibility like reported in METAR / SPECI / GAMET / TAF... unless it's just meant to be a pure VFR sim, with some into IMC features...

Did you post it in the official forums in order to get some votes? As well a question for today's Q&A?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

49 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

Live Weather is working good for me, never used a weather preset, what visibility issue are you talking about?

Do you know an ordinary fog? 🙂 If anyone wants to test some low visibility procedures, there is no way, set it in MSFS. It's a very disappointing, because every other sims has weather item, where I can set airport visibility to 400m for example, and top of this layer. And if I in approach, I can't see the runway, until I'm closer, than 400m. It's one of basic meteorologic condition, what you can meet in many areas, especially in early morning or evening. And it's surprisingly missing in MSFS 😞

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

Do you know an ordinary fog? 🙂 If anyone wants to test some low visibility procedures, there is no way, set it in MSFS. It's a very disappointing, because every other sims has weather item, where I can set airport visibility to 400m for example, and top of this layer. And if I in approach, I can't see the runway, until I'm closer, than 400m. It's one of basic meteorologic condition, what you can meet in many areas, especially in early morning or evening. And it's surprisingly missing in MSFS 😞

Should have tried going into heathrow last week on live weather at about 8:00 am..   thick cloud / fog from 8000ft down to about 300 ft..   coming clear of the fog at less than a mile from the runway and nothing in sight..  was getting ready to go around at 250ft when I caught a glimpse of the lights and continued, but on landing the far end of the runway was still in fog/mist.

Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

Edited by Moria15

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

I don't know about that. When I was coming in to Naples yesterday, late afternoon,  there was a light fog with the sun straight ahead. I couldn't see a thing until I was over the threshold.

I thought it was done brilliantly. That was Real World weather.

• Like 2

Guys,

thanks for your posts / contributions.

1) I did, first as an Alpha tester, later as a user, through their support forum and through the ZenDesk platform, and also for today's Q&A:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/setting-prevailing-visibility-in-the-weather-menu/282547

alert to the necessity of having such a feature..

2) What I mean is this ( in bold on the example METARs, in blue what is optional but I would really like to be able to have, although I agree it's VERY COMPLEX to implement ) :

LIBQ 290855Z 26007G18KT 200V320 0000 FG VV/// 08/08 Q1019 RMK MON INVIS VAL INVIS VIS MIN 0000

MMTJ 290850Z 00000KT 1/16SM FG VV002 19/17 A2998 NOSIG RMK 8//// MSG TX MMMX

ESPA 290850Z 20003KT 150V230 0300 R14/0375N R32/0400V0550N FG VV003 09/08 Q1019

etc...

These gives you the horizintal visibiltiy, and in the VV case also the vertical component, which pretty much conditions all operations from and into an airfield, under IMC / IFR.

Presently and contrarily to what is available in the previous versions of the MS FS tittle, but also in X-Plane, ELITE, Aerowinx PSX... you can't set it through the manual weather settings, and when using Live Weather, as I do most of the time, 90% of the time it isn't represented at all....

There's that new interesting parameter - Aerosol Density - that could be used together with something more to create visibility effects, but it's meant, I believe, to be used for other aspects

of teh weather visuals in MFS, and isn't yet documented, even in the SDK.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 4

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

17 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

...Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

Not exact. Or do you know, how I can set it manually, if I want fly a low visibility procedures on my home airport at time, when I want, like i could set it in every previous sims? Or have I to search whole world, where are this condition at this time? 🙂

Edited by ludekbrno

3 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

Not exact. Or do you know, how I can set it manually, if I want fly a low visibility procedures on my home airport at time, when I want, like i could set it in every previous sims? Or have I to search whole world, where are this condition at this time? 🙂

Ahhh  okay  my misunderstanding..  have never used manual setting of weather as I always fly live.    Sorry bout that...  for me that was a scary landing, but as I say, I haven't played with presets and manual settings of weather.   Seems odd though that if the sim is capable of producing it, it's not available manually.

Perhaps what we need is a system whereby we can select weather when we find it live and be able to store that as a preset...  that way we could form a library of weather presets for your purposes.

Graham

• Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

18 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I don't know about that. When I was coming in to Naples yesterday, late afternoon,  there was a light fog with the sun straight ahead. I couldn't see a thing until I was over the threshold.

I thought it was done brilliantly. That was Real World weather.

Yes, i know, that MSFS can show a beautiful fog condition, but it's impossible to set it manually on airport, where I want and at time, when I want. It's a big problem for everyone, who wants to train low visibility procedures. I reall can't understand, how Asobo could forget one of basic weather function.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jcomm said:

There's that new interesting parameter - Aerosol Density - that could be used together with something more to create visibility effects, but it's meant, I believe, to be used for other aspects

of teh weather visuals in MFS, and isn't yet documented, even in the SDK.

I already did a ZENDESK report in the last alpha and after that a ZENDESK report as well. in the first alphas the value was apparently changed, because it was once more clear and once less, so more hazy and then not (I imagine). As it looks, but I'm not sure, this value now always remains at 1, with the real weather option. the reason why they changed this is that people complained that the transition to the horizon when the sun was low was very bright at higher aerosol values. But this parameter would be usable, they just have to refine it. If you set the value manually to 3, 4, 5 it looks already usable. If you take higher values and combine it with the fog layer, it would be a great solution !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD