Sign in to follow this  
AndyCYXU

No instruction to descend from ATC

New to the P2A and not super knowledgeable about ATC procedures so i though i ask here.

Using MSFS, LittleNavMap and P2ATC all updated with AIRAC 2010

I had a flight from CYUL to KDTW... was going pretty good except on departure i was told to taxi via Alpha to 24L, well Alpha does not go to 24L its Foxtrot according to LittleNavMap, so where does the P2ATC get its info from?

Very often ATC gives me instructions follow by my Transponder code which is set, but maybe i am not setting it right...<callsign> do something squawk <####>

Passed TOD point and no info from ATC to descend I was expecting them to say something but idk maybe once they tell me the STAR to 22L I just go on my own, they told me about the STAR little passed my TOD

General question when flying IFR does ATC tell you when you should start descending or you do all that on your own following the flight plan that you have and just setting your FMC and let the VNAV and LNAV do its magic... ? I was kinda thinking ATC should/would tell you it's time to descend.

Anyhow thanks for any help.

Andy

2 hours ago, AndyCYXU said:

ATC should/would tell you it's time to descend.

I think you certainly need permission to change altitudes -- you shouldn't descend without AFAIK.

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

3 hours ago, AndyCYXU said:

so where does the P2ATC get its info from?

When taxiing, P2A get's taxiway info from data originating from old flight sim files.  You can update these by importing from your SIM using Taxi Mnt.

Very often ATC gives me instructions follow by my Transponder code which is set, but maybe i am not setting it right

Many complex aircraft implement the avionics such that P2A cannot control, and in some cases cannot detect, the XPDR settings.  In these cases, you may have to set the Transponder in both P2A and the aircraft cockpit.

Passed TOD point and no info from ATC to descend I was expecting them to say something but idk maybe once they tell me the STAR to 22L I just go on my own, they told me about the STAR little passed my TOD

When you are cleared to "..descend via the xxxx arrival", that is your clearance to descend according to the published STAR.  You won't get step down descent instructions after that.  Also, the visual TOD in P2A and the TOD displayed in your cockpit might differ from each other and from the point that ATC starts your descent.

If you are having to rush and use speed-brakes to get down, then you need to set your descent rate to a lower number so P2A will calculate an earlier TOD.

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

You can update these by importing from your SIM using Taxi Mnt.

There is no option for path for msfs2020 only fsx/p3d and xplane, and although i know where some of my fs2020 installation is even though there are parts allover the place "thanks Microsoft" still not sure where would i guide it

MakeRunways does not yet support MSFS2020, so you would have to do imports from FSX or P3D to update.  Or, if you were an X-Plane user before, you could update from X-Plane.  You can also make edits manually in TaxiMnt.

Dave

• Like 1