Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I'm personally done with MSFS post 3rd patch..

Well, I'm not surprised since they needed to nerf the LOD radius for the upcoming XBOX release.  Also expect them to add an artificial fog to further lower the LOD in the future.

Makes sense if they are testing for the XBOX.

• Like 2

Chris Camp

3 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Weirdly, i don't feel I'm having an issue. I had several screen shots from last week. I chose one and positioned my camera in the same location, angle etc. I can see no significant difference. LOD 200, Vector Ultra, 4K. I have lost several FPS though. But it's very smooth, so the loss is hardly noticeable except when I pan around quickly.

Could this be server/location related?

Just did a couple of flights around and have to concur. Don't see any noticeable difference in LOD, and considering the detail that is being drawn, I'm shocked the sim is as smooth as it is (particularly over super-dense custom AG in Tokyo). 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Z said:

This is true. LOD has been an issue as well. The problem is they keep getting worse each patch.

I've seen some mention that it might be changes to help with VR integration.

I'm hoping it's just new release issues, and will get worked out. But, if that isn't the case (putting on the tinfoil hat for fun)......

Then my "shot in the dark" conspiracy theory is.....since Microsoft wants MSFS and it's 3rd party addons to run on PC and their new Xbox sX....

....perhaps they want to be able to say that  MSFS runs on the new Xbox sX just as well as a high end PC. Dialing back LOD so it looks and runs equally could help with that.

Again, this is just musing a conspiracy theory, but I do so because LOD is slowly being reduced each patch. That's a strange bug that does something like that.

If Asobo responds to people, and addresses the issue (like I think they will), we'll hopefully have their plan on fixing the issue.

In the rare chance they stay silent on the issue.....well, we'll see.

Ding Ding Ding... You got it!  You win a Prize!!!

Chris Camp

19 minutes ago, airlinejets said:

Alas, we are. This is a truly huge project, people don't realize the extent. Just to put this in perspective you have a boatload of people for who this patch works and as many that it doesn't. Some things are right, some are wrong. So, we need thousands of people testing with as many different configurations just to find solutions.

Conquering a snow covered mountain is exhausting but the reward comes when you reach the top. We have a ways to go still but we'll get there eventually.

We have become a truly forgiving lot.

The sim world is littered with the shrieks and cries of simmers over the years complaining that XXX company released XXX software in an alpha or beta state, they should be hung, drawn and quartered for it etc.

Simmers berating other simmers for being "paid beta testers" for said software, how bad that was, wishing people wouldn't do it.....

For the people that are having issues, it is no wonder they are complaining - pay anything up to 180 of your local currency to be a beta tester is a lot more reason to be upset than some $30 add-on.

For the record I have MSFS - don't use it for now and won't buy add-ons to it until they sort out the issues that it appears many have. Happy to have it lay dormant until then.

• Like 3

David Porrett

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

That could be. I'm running 3440x1440 or 3/4 of 4K...but...since RTM...that has never changed either...ONLY post applications of P2 and P3 has changed the game line up.

I'm running 1080p and the LOD is terrible now, It's worse blurries than what I had in FSX. When first released I kept LOD at 100 and was happy. After the first patch I increased to 150, and now it's set to 200 and everything is blurry a few miles out. Was flying in remote Canada after this latest patch and the trees would only appear out about 2-miles or so, and fade in as I fly. I don't understand what Asobo is up to. If it was because of XBOX coming, they could just reduce the initial settings in that platform. Are the MS servers bogged? Doesn't make any sense.

From August.....

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

45 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Was just haunting the MSFS forum...(official) and found an interesting post...most likely from one that was in the Alpha Testing Program....

Quote:

'Absolutely agree!, And the worst thing is, the really big downgrade was made from alpha to beta!. The release version was already severely downgraded, especially the vegetation LoD and density.'

^^^^^ +1 Agree

Edited by RamonB

51 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Weirdly, i don't feel I'm having an issue. I had several screen shots from last week. I chose one and positioned my camera in the same location, angle etc. I can see no significant difference. LOD 200, Vector Ultra, 4K. I have lost several FPS though. But it's very smooth, so the loss is hardly noticeable except when I pan around quickly.

Could this be server/location related?

I have also lost a few fps....hopefully just server related

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

I’m glad you posted this op. It was the first thing I noticed today after updating. I thought maybe I was imagining the fact that everything looked a lot more sparse than usual until you were right up on it. Frames were the same though so I’m not sure why they would intentionally do it. 

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

1 hour ago, egguzman said:

Also, we have to remember that Asobo/Microsoft is porting this over to a console, XBOX current gen/Next Gen and those consoles as everyone knows is not a powerful PC.  That's what I hate about some game companies making their software for both PC and console.  They will sacrifice for the benefit of the lower spec consoles...

This is my big concern reading about these LOD issues, that somehow Asobo is reducing it in order to meet some performance metrics for Xbox.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it yet because it's still downloading, but I recall after patch 2 I was really bummed about the sudden degradation in LOD.  Someone here suggested deleting and rebuilding the rolling cache, I did, and it seemed to get fully restored. I think some setting were changed too, so I hope this repeats itself for patch 3 should know soon.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

I'm with you, they just broke the Longitude a plane that wasn't on the list to get touched.  The incompetence is so random plus your forced to update which kills the option of holding off until they get it right.  As I said in another thread I'm with PMDG on this one...

The forced update is what's going to ultimately kill this as a serious simulator. There's just no way the third party devs are going to be able to keep up. Right now it takes months for updates to products made for P3D and X-Plane (if they ever are for XP...), are people expecting that updates won't break their addons?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

5 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I created a post (that has gotten lost) regarding this. I’m at 200 LOD. And I’m watching popping scenery in front of my plane at 3000ft. And it’s a blurry mess in the distance. Even the new intro photo of mt. Fuji is a blurry mess in the distance. 
I get people with defend Asobo and msfs etc.... but I think it’s time rose tinted glasses were removed. 
PS I fly low level vfr in the U.K. and it 100% does not look like this. Nor do we have popping objects in front of us 🙂 

I notice you always seem to have issues with the sim, whereas in my case I’m not, might it be an issue with your system?

3 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

This is my big concern reading about these LOD issues, that somehow Asobo is reducing it in order to meet some performance metrics for Xbox.

The sooner folks realize that we (PC simmers) are NOT their primary sales target, the sooner they will get over their disappointment.

And no, I don't really care what Asobo said about aiming the product at simmers. They are lying and in our heart of hearts we know it's true.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato