Sign in to follow this  
kaosfere

Release: Working Title G1000 v0.3 (1.9.3.0 compatible)

Thank you!! I’m new to flight sims - so running mods like this took me a hot minute to figure out. My question (if I should have known this I do apologize)...

I fly the Beechcraft Baron G58 - IRL it has an option for weather radar, in the default game the G58 G1000 has weather radar, with this mod it will no longer work (weather button is grayed out). Do I need to edit a file to make it work, or did I misunderstand at some point and it may need to be a future release? 

Again I apologize if this is remedial!

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

I love this G1000 mod but I can't seem to scroll through the engine pages I click on engine and nothing happens 

Flew the G1000 tonight with the C208 in and around IFR and storms. The weather radar worked perfectly as far as I could tell. Was very essential to helping me find my way around the storms. 

Thank you so much for this! I cannot stand flying with map in north up mode, was a huge enjoyment killer. Amazing work!!!

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

In fact i now first have to get used to flying in Track up mode again xD

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

So found some awesome features - the ability to have the green circle target thing for where you are heading is amazing!  Also - when flying VORs (not GPS), it looks to pick up in the PFD the two locations and give a distance from and to? Not sure if it did this before but I was pleasantly surprised when my VATSIM controller started asking me to direct all over Floridian VORs last night 🙂

Just a huge kudos to what you are doing with this.  As someone that spent years designing software and hardware interfaces for Navy simulators, I can attest that you are doing a phenomenal job.

• Like 1

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

Great work! Really enjoying it!

As a little feedback:

I just had the PFD freezing after around 80 Minutes of flight with the CDI still moving. AP didn't work aswell. MFD was operating normally. Can't tell if this was related to your Mod or to an issue within the sim.

And a little nitpicking in case this hasn't been asked before:

Is it really Track up? To me it looked more like Heading up. (Which i'd even prefer over Track up).

Anyways thanks so much for the great work!

Best

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Woo, time to get caught up!

13 hours ago, zihmer001 said:

in the default game the G58 G1000 has weather radar, with this mod it will no longer work

If your plane had WX before it should still be there, but it's moved -- it's now part of the map page group.  If you're on the main map and you turn the inner control knob you should see the screen switch to the radar.  This was an attempt to put it at what seemed like a more authentic position, though it's really hard to find examples of G1000 with working weather radar in the real world to copy from.

13 hours ago, awash2002 said:

I love this G1000 mod but I can't seem to scroll through the engine pages

Planes still need to be individually modifed to support the additional pages.  We created one for the Bonanza as an example, and are working with a few other modders to get their own planes configured.  It's a little time consuming to do right because you need to have good documentation and a specimen to work from if you want to copy reality.  There are instructions in the documentation as to how one can configure their own if they want to tackle one.   Or we might get to them in time -- I didn't want to make the time and effort it would take to develop panels for every stock plane with a G1000 block the full release of this.

2 hours ago, zihmer001 said:

As someone that spent years designing software and hardware interfaces for Navy simulators, I can attest that you are doing a phenomenal job.

Thanks, that means a lot.  I'm a developer in my day job, too, though of a completely different type.  This stuff poses interesting challenges, especially give that we're coding against a moving target for which we have no documentation and no road map.  😄

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I just had the PFD freezing after around 80 Minutes of flight with the CDI still moving

I've seen one other report of this, but I've also seen reports of the same behavior happening in planes that don't have this mod installed.   Given that, and that I can't really think of anything we'd touch that would make a screen freeze outright, I'm tempted to say that's a sim bug.  But I'm definitely not blowing it off and I'd be interested in any future experimentation we can do or attempts to repro.

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Is it really Track up? To me it looked more like Heading up.

Busted!    It is, indeed, truly heading up.  The basic logic for map rotation was already coded in the sim, and used by airliners to rotate their maps.  We just hooked into that and had to do a fair bit of ugly tweaking to get it to work right in in that mode on the GA glass.*   But the underlying logic that Asobo coded is based on plane heading, not track.   I'm aware of the difference, but the significance of the values that the existing sim code was tweaking didn't hit me until someone else brought it up.  😄

I'll be looking into adding proper track up in the next major rev, and labelling it as such.

Also:

For those who are having issues with the G3000 after this update, I have finished doing some work that will allow me to update this mod to not touch the code the G3000 uses.  I want to nail a few more of the priority bugs we've identified and then we'll be releasing a fix as v0.3.1 that takes care of that.

* If you're curious about the work needed to make "track" up work on the G1000 when it was already in place in airliners, we had the issue that when you rotate a square (the map) in a square (the viewport), any angles other than 0/90/180/270 leave "corners" chopped off because the square doesn't cover itself.   This isn't a big problem if you don't have a basemap and you can fudge it a bit, but we have that lovely colorful thing.  So we had to come up with a way to make the map render a little bit more to fill the gaps, then reposition it, then increase the road layer, which is another entire thing, on top, then increase the resolution it renders at because it's hardcoded to 1024x1024 and the base map went bigger than that so we got ugly scaling artifacts, then...   You get the idea.  🙂

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Woo, time to get caught up!

If your plane had WX before it should still be there, but it's moved -- it's now part of the map page group.  If you're on the main map and you turn the inner control knob you should see the screen switch to the radar.  This was an attempt to put it at what seemed like a more authentic position, though it's really hard to find examples of G1000 with working weather radar in the real world to copy from.

Thanks, that means a lot.  I'm a developer in my day job, too, though of a completely different type.  This stuff poses interesting challenges, especially give that we're coding against a moving target for which we have no documentation and no road map.  😄

* If you're curious about the work needed to make "track" up work on the G1000 when it was already in place in airliners, we had the issue that when you rotate a square (the map) in a square (the viewport), any angles other than 0/90/180/270 leave "corners" chopped off because the square doesn't cover itself.   This isn't a big problem if you don't have a basemap and you can fudge it a bit, but we have that lovely colorful thing.  So we had to come up with a way to make the map render a little bit more to fill the gaps, then reposition it, then increase the road layer, which is another entire thing, on top, then increase the resolution it renders at because it's hardcoded to 1024x1024 and the base map went bigger than that so we got ugly scaling artifacts, then...   You get the idea.  🙂

Thank you for the WX response - I was stuck!

Regarding your dev/sim dev work - you are crushing it, you really are.  I've been on teams where we've thrown a lot of dollars and a lot of very smart people at some of these problems.  I know a lot of people just can't grasp why the G1000 isn't flawless, but from a simulation and emulation standpoint, this is a beast.  Kudos to you for taking it on and getting it to fuction like this.

Love the explanation on making Track Up function - fix one problem and uncover another 🙂

again - amazing work!

I am very happy with what you have done.  Thank you! 🙂

My top two peeves with the current Garmins is that the two "memory items" that I rely on when flying flightplans do not work..

1.  Highlight a waypoint on any page, and push DTO Enter Enter

2.  Highlight a waypoint on the flightplan page and push Menu Activate Leg Enter

For 1. the waypoint name is lost when pushing DTO

For 2. the first item on offer is "Delete Flight Plan"..

This may be buried deep insider the legacy GPS code, but if you see any way to improve either one of these, it would be much appreciated!

• Like 2

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

1.  Highlight a waypoint on any page, and push DTO Enter Enter

2.  Highlight a waypoint on the flightplan page and push Menu Activate Leg Enter

For 1. the waypoint name is lost when pushing DTO

For 2. the first item on offer is "Delete Flight Plan"..

Hi Bert.

I'd need to look at it in a little more detail, but from what I've examined of how the flight plan logic interacts with the sim's GPS code I think that 1 is probably not doable, although we can certainly verify that.   I feel like 2 should be able to be done, though, with a little work.   I'll put it on the TODO. 🙂

On 9/30/2020 at 4:45 AM, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Thank you very much kaosfere - what fantastic work. Makes flights in the C172 and DA-62 an absolute pleasure.

So this mod automatically works with the C172?

7 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

So this mod automatically works with the C172?

It will work with any plane that has the stock G1000.  Including the Carenado 182T.

The one thing that is not universal is the enhanced engine page.  You still git a slightly improved one with the mod, but you don't get the multiple selectable pages until an additional config file is created.

• Like 1

It seems to work with anything with the G1000 but beware - it drops synthetic vision on the TBM and King Air.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese