Sign in to follow this  
Cats Eyes Cunningham

Ultra settings: is it worth overclocking my CPU?

Hello,

I'm trying to determine if I will get much of a performance boost through overclocking my CPU.

My current rig is: Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 2070 Super GPU, 32GB RAM

I play the sim on a 1920x1080 single monitor, and am able to get around 40-50fps on High-end, but Ultra brings this down to around 25-30fps, which can be a bit glitchy, especially at busy airports.

Will overclocking my CPU likely allow me to run smoothly on ultra settings? I have safely overclocked in the past, but am also worried about temperatures, and if my old 530w PSU can handle it...

I really don't want to blow up my PC!!

Thank you

Ultra is for Intel 5 GHz CPUs and 2080Ti... Overclocking your system would grant you 2-3 fps more in the 25-30 range, it's not worth it.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

With an old 530W PSU (especially if it's not from a reputable brand), then I would recommend against overclocking. Zen 2 starts losing much of its efficiency above a clock speed threshold, and the boosting algorithm is good enough to ensure the best possible performance for the overwhelming majority of users, unless you're an enthusiast. You'll also have to upgrade to a high-end cooler because heat density can be a big problem with Zen 2 (an inherent issue with high-performance CPU cores on this node, not with the architecture).

Terrain Level of Detail seems to be the most CPU-bound setting, so you could try to decrease the slider and find the sweet spot for a good balance of visuals and performance. A DirectX 12 update is in the works for the simulator, which will bring more optimisations thanks to the improved API, unlocking better performance out of your current CPU. And if you have a 400 series motherboard or newer, you will most likely be able to upgrade to a Zen 3 CPU once a BIOS update is available should you need even more performance.