Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Strange Logbook Entry

So today I deselected developer mode and flew a nice flight along the Pacific coast from Oakland to Burbank.  Route was over San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Morrow Bay, then over Santa Barbara, Oxnard/Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, then direct to Burbank (California). Nice VFR flight.  Nice greased landing on 08. 

Logbook logged 2.4 hours, but did not log the landing.  Instead the log entry shows arrival as "[KCAI] Vicinity".  I did a web search for KCAI and KCAI vicinity and all I come up with is the Kansas City Art Institute in Kansas City, Missouri. 

Anyone else getting strange log entries like this?  Only modification to the flight plan was to change the time of day before takeoff.

image.png.c356b759676b33dfa9115833394583d3.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've seen that a few times. It happens when you don't land at any particular airport such as when you crash or when you land outside the boundaries of an airport, such as in the vicinity of such and such airport. Sometimes I've been unable to locate the airport visually such as during some bush flying, and I've landed on a road or something.

Mike Beckwith

Yup you crashed... likely hit parked vehicle or was hit by an airport vehicle, maybe just as you were ending the flight.

I've had this when I landed only partly on the runway, it was very windy, rather than fully on the runway.

Give people power to really test their personality.

And if you bounce on your landing, you get an extra flight logged.......lol!

Albert

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;
2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

3 hours ago, Cmcollazo71 said:

Yup you crashed... likely hit parked vehicle or was hit by an airport vehicle, maybe just as you were ending the flight.

The landing was near perfect.  The only thing I can think of is I had trouble identifying a turnoff as that airport has continuous hard surfaces and as we know already there are not proper taxiway markings (A1, C3, D9, etc.)   If that caused it then I find that a bit too unforgivable given those taxiway marker shortcomings.  And a vicinity?  I'd have to research to see if anything that could be construed as KCAI is in the area surrounding the airport.  Very strange.

And yet another reason to call for a logbook editing feature.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

13 hours ago, fppilot said:

Anyone else getting strange log entries like this?  Only modification to the flight plan was to change the time of day before takeoff.

Back on Tues (9/29) had a flight like that from KPIH (Pocatello ID) to KSLC (Salt Lake City) but last 10 mins of my flight wasn't credited stopped at 24 mins on a 40 min flight and said [07UT] Vicinity and didn't get credit for landing. Even though landed plane and shut down fine even spent a few mins post flight "drone"ing around SLC.

It happened once last week too went about 40 mins into a flight I hit severe turbulence and before I could slow down(plane registered at quick 30+ knot jump in airspeed) got the black 'Crash' screen because of over speed airframe damage. I was about 150 kias then looking away for a sec and back after hearing beeping looked back it was 180-185 kais before I could act - Black Screen. Was going from KGEG(Spokane) to KPDX(Portland) so had a [KEPP] Vicinity(Ephrata Airport) since I didn't make it all the way to KPDX later I just finished my flight from KEPP to KPDX the other 70 mins of the flight.

One other time going into PANC (Anchorage) I got hit with a Vicinity tag for the airport I was landing at, oddly that time I got credit for the landing where as the other 2 times above I did not.

Edited by Bob_D

Not sure, i havent verified, but if you dont enter the airport as your destination on the world map when you setup your flight, its registering it as vicinity whenever you land. I guess you should have a Departure AND a destination setup in the world map, even tho you'r VFR and dont really need a flightplan. Needs some testing so dont quote me on that.

13 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Not sure, i havent verified, but if you dont enter the airport as your destination on the world map when you setup your flight, its registering it as vicinity whenever you land. I guess you should have a Departure AND a destination setup in the world map, even tho you'r VFR and dont really need a flightplan. Needs some testing so dont quote me on that.

For the flight I mentioned I was on a complete flight plan and Burbank was a defined destination.  Someone else mentioned that if you go astray anywhere at the airport the vicinity tag  occurs.  At Burbank as I rolled out on the runway following my landing, the airport was all hard surface.  No grass.  And of course the turnoffs and taxiways are dismally marked.  So I turned off and parked next to other aircraft.  So if that was the issue that caused the vicinity tag then again I find that way too unforgiving considering the shortcomings.   That however does not explain the fact that no landing was recognized.  Very odd.  I have reported the issue.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

46 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

I've got logs that show the correct destination even if I didn't enter anything in the destination field on setup, sometimes I just want to take off from somewhere and see where I end up.

In terms of the OP, i've also got a vicinity one today. Took off from EGLC and had a fly around before landing at EGHI. Asked the tower for parking and went to park up as i've always done, got the vicinity instead of the actual airport though.

1 hour ago, DPSimulation said:

I've got logs that show the correct destination even if I didn't enter anything in the destination field on setup, sometimes I just want to take off from somewhere and see where I end up.

In terms of the OP, i've also got a vicinity one today. Took off from EGLC and had a fly around before landing at EGHI. Asked the tower for parking and went to park up as i've always done, got the vicinity instead of the actual airport though.

Yup, okay my bad, i had this happened to me and kinda explained it with that theory without looking further into it. But to be honest , the MSFS Logbook for me, never really show the relevant time, flights, as i do a lot of bush flying, with many off airport landings.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Yup, okay my bad, i had this happened to me and kinda explained it with that theory without looking further into it. But to be honest , the MSFS Logbook for me, never really show the relevant time, flights, as i do a lot of bush flying, with many off airport landings.

Work on the logbook needs to be escalated in importance.  Odd that I have verified that flights in Developer Mode were not logging, but appears to me that multiple instances of sitting on the tarmac in developer mode, studying the aircraft model(s), learning the pages of the glass panels, finding the location of switches, and not ever even considering a take off, seem to have gotten logged.   I have a number of those in my logbook and no way to expunge them..

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I think really, the bottom line is the WHOLE of the log book is not working properly, and never has.

It would be good if they could/would do some work on it, to give us an accurate log of our flights, but for now I just totally ignore it.

Albert

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;
2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

I found out the hard way "KCAI" is a tiny airstrip SE of KCMA.  I spent 20 minutes at the end of a Neofly flight trying to land there, thinking I was at KCMA.  I finally realized it was impossible (at least in a 172) and left looking for somewhere else to land. That's when I found the real KCMA.

You can see this on Little Navmap, it is only 497 feet long! Turns out it is a model airplane runway in the CSU Channel Islands Regional Park, but appears to be now closed to RC flying.

Here is a Google Maps link:

https://goo.gl/maps/QuYGJHUFKnnzQXVh9

The only time I get this type of log entry is when I land and do not seem to get to the appropriate parking spot, usually met by a push back vehicle and a Marshall. Once the marshals direct me in and I pull the mixture it goes directly to the logbook entry showing a complete flight. It’s difficult at night though. I choose not to use the blue taxi path indicators, they are just large and at times irrational. At my home airport (KAGC), it set a taxi path to GA parking that is absurd to say the least. Should also include that the logbook entry occurs if you crash. My experience anyway.