Sign in to follow this  
rtodepart

who runs FS2020 on a ryzen 3800x ?

looking to build a new rig in the next few days and honestly I was much of a Intel man till now that I want to test the waters on the other side . was looking at the cheaper 3600 but wondered who runs FS2020 on the 3800x series and how is it ?????? thanks and in advance ....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

The official Zen 3 reveal is scheduled for 8 October, and the Ryzen 7 5800X is very likely releasing on 20 October. There's a chance it will cost more, but the performance improvement should be significant and will pull ahead of Comet Lake.

If you're planning to go with a current Ryzen, I would recommend going for the 3700X instead unless the cost is very similar. The difference between the two is very small.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

thanks for the reply ...

I use the Ryzen 3800X, and personally couldn't be happier with it. MSFS runs perfectly smooth at 60fps on my setup, dropping to around 50fps in places like NY.  In terms of difference between this and the 3700X.. on paper not a whole lot, however, the 3800X chips are supposed to be picked from the best performing silicon and therefore tend to meet their spec a lot better. 3700X's are a bit like playing the lottery and hoping you get a good one. Mine boosts on all cores to 4500Mhz min.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

I use the Ryzen 3800X, and personally couldn't be happier with it. MSFS runs perfectly smooth at 60fps on my setup, dropping to around 50fps in places like NY.  In terms of difference between this and the 3700X.. on paper not a whole lot, however, the 3800X chips are supposed to be picked from the best performing silicon and therefore tend to meet their spec a lot better. 3700X's are a bit like playing the lottery and hoping you get a good one. Mine boosts on all cores to 4500Mhz min.

thanks for the reply i think im going to try the 3800x . you mind sharing your  entire setup ? like MOBO RAM and the like . I had noticed that 16gb works for some in my case i went up to 32 with much better performance .

Edited by rtodepart

13 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

however, the 3800X chips are supposed to be picked from the best performing silicon and therefore tend to meet their spec a lot better. 3700X's are a bit like playing the lottery and hoping you get a good one. Mine boosts on all cores to 4500Mhz min.

Nowadays even the cheap 3600 is boosting really well and overclocks nicely even at a lower voltage. Zen 2 has been yielding really well since early 2020 or so.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty

I was about to walk in to bestbuy now pick this up 

Ryzen 3800x 

Asus X570 Plus mobo 

cors vengeance 32 GB ram 

a cheap Radeon RX5700 till i get e batter card . 

i think i have a new power supply laying aroing in the box somewhere and ill be using my old case . 

but instead i calmed down and want to do things right . want to be cheap and not go over 1500$ but looks like with a nicer video card ill be somewhere over 3k$ 

Edited by rtodepart

I have a 3800X and I am happy with its performance.  I am looking at getting a 3080 my 1080 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

• Upvote 1

Another happy 3800x customer.  My main reason for choosing over Intel was the better multi-core performance given this is going to be used increasingly in flight simulators.

Also have 32GB RAM.  The only problem I have is that my 1080 is the performance bottleneck under P3dv5 but much more with MSFS which uses DX11.  Under MSFS on recommended settings I can have the GPU solidly on 99% utilisation while the CPU is around 30%!

• Upvote 3

3700x User here. for the Price premium i passed on the 3800x Its just a better binned chip at the end of the day and AMD wants to charge a premium for it. I plan to use my cpu at stock so i didnt think it was worth is considering i could use the difference to better optimze the system

Better overall performance can be had by spending the money on optimizing all aspects of your system in order to achieve balance.

I went with

3700x

32 GB Gskill Trident Neo  cas 16 @ 3600 DDR4

512gb Adata adata xpg sx8200 pro NVME for the OS

1 TB adata xpg sx8200 pro NVME for the Sim and addons

MSI RTX 2080 Super OC ( wanted to wait till RTX 3080 but decided not to)

Asus Rog Strix B550 Gaming F wifi

Good frames on a 34inch ultrawide 1440p with full ultra settings (the sim sits between 40 to 50 fps)  with the limiting factor being the GPU according to the system monitors.  Surprisingly im seeing somewhat even distribution of cpu load among the cores and it sits in the mid 20s to 30s for utilization. The GPU on the other hand runs at 100% utilization so the next order of business for me is an graphics card upgrade.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

yeah its not a significant upgrade from the 3700X I was able to get mine at Micro Center for only like $20 price increase so its the only reason I went that way but if I had not had the discount i would have either gone for the 3900X or the 3700X.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Maxis said:

3700x User here. for the Price premium i passed on the 3800x Its just a better binned chip at the end of the day and AMD wants to charge a premium for it. I plan to use my cpu at stock so i didnt think it was worth is considering i could use the difference to better optimze the system

Better overall performance can be had by spending the money on optimizing all aspects of your system in order to achieve balance.

I went with

3700x

32 GB Gskill Trident Neo  cas 16 @ 3600 DDR4

512gb Adata adata xpg sx8200 pro NVME for the OS

1 TB adata xpg sx8200 pro NVME for the Sim and addons

MSI RTX 2080 Super OC ( wanted to wait till RTX 3080 but decided not to)

Asus Rog Strix B550 Gaming F wifi

Good frames on a 34inch ultrawide 1440p with full ultra settings (the sim sits between 40 to 50 fps)  with the limiting factor being the GPU according to the system monitors.  Surprisingly im seeing somewhat even distribution of cpu load among the cores and it sits in the mid 20s to 30s for utilization. The GPU on the other hand runs at 100% utilization so the next order of business for me is an graphics card upgrade.

just found another old card i had Asus rog rx 590 8 GB i think ill use that for a while til a better one comes in .

• Like 1

I'll have a video up on YT in about 1 hour. It's processing. You can take a look of what kind of performance I am getting with my Ryzen 7 3800x

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

there you go @GSalden

Edited by fogboundturtle

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.