Sign in to follow this  
maniamcool

Are we in a better or worse place since launch?

Just now, Moria15 said:

They stated in the Q&A that they have also noticed this and are trying to determine how, why and what but there was no intentional "dumbing down" of the LOD or graphics.  What they also said was that they are actually looking to expand the draw distance because they have found in testing that adding further away detail does not have such a major impact on processing as they thought it would.

Graham

Thanx for infos, I still think that was intentional and linked to the bandwith demand such a huge number of players have put on server.. But it's just my feeling.

Tough question, my opinion is that we are now in a worse situation because at the beginning there was a hope, now such hope of having a simulation and not an arcade is vanishing quickly patch after patch ☹️

To All, censuring and deleting opinions belongs to MS official forum only, I think here mods are not so inclined ( at least I hope otherwise I will immediately resign )  on deleting posts just because they contain FS criticism, well deserved btw considering the huge amount of bugs and the huge lack of simming aspects 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mark VII said:

the huge amount of bugs and the huge lack of simming aspects 

Also wrong. Much of this adressed in the interview with Jörg Neumann

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Also wrong. Much of this adressed in the interview with Jörg Neumann

I thought bugs were addressed within patches not you tube PR videos 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mark VII said:

I thought bugs were addressed within patches not you tube PR videos 

This is exactly what I am thinking too. IT`s OK if some or many like the game simulation, but I`ve never seen so much hypothetical talking about so many things that will get improved and on other hand 3 patches in a row create further problems. What counts is what we get. Perhaps the sim will be in some years where it should have been, but  Microsofts planning management is desastrous, they still think they need to add visual updates rather than focusing on technical things. At costs of crunching their employees.

Gaming bussiness has become a real dirty one. Crunching employees, game loots. Having seen adult japanese people dancing in Pokemon costumes in parades has convinced me it was a good idea to stop gaming long ago. Microsofts bussiness does fit more and more to that.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, maniamcool said:

My experience so far is that the sim has gone backwards since launch.

It's a 10 year plan and the sim is still in beta or it's a work in progress. Get over it or try P3D v5 or XP11. Good luck getting perfection out of those sims.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, Desaix said:

Thanx for infos, I still think that was intentional and linked to the bandwith demand such a huge number of players have put on server.. But it's just my feeling.

That does not make any sense. Now there is only about 30% of the load compared to the launch week when everyone and their mother was testing it out. If the infrastructure was able to keep up then, it should be much easier today.

There is already a fix on the official forum that changes two setting in a config file. It was done by the same guy that found the issue with the high buildings, and can be found here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/buildings-much-too-high-in-1-9-3-0-patch/288300/168

• Like 2

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

Visually I feel the sim is "less" now than it was before (due to the new LOD bug), but I have real wind instead of 223/3 which is a really big deal to me. Stability and performance were never really an issue for me personally. Other issues like really bad scenery in my local region is a problem with Bing Maps and not the flight sim, so the updates haven't done anything positive or negative in this regard. Oh, and I've implemented my own changes, be it 3rd party improvements or my own scenery edits, so I guess all-in-all the game is better today for me than it was on launch, but much of this is thanks to the community.

Edited by Keto Ketchup

3 hours ago, JughedJones said:

Nearly every... single... person...  who says the sim is broken or worse for them since launch has one or more mods or cfg fixes in their sim.   

Now...   i qualified that with 'nearly' because of course, we are playing on PCs that have variables.  Some things are gonna go screwy sometimes for weird reasons.   

Are there issues? Sure.  But theyre known, being worked on, and its been getting better for the vast majority.   LOD degradation wasn't a feature or fix, it was an unforseen issue thats getting fixed.  

Anyone who's sim is getting worse, especially to the point of 'broken' after these patches, has been trying to 'fix it' themselves.  

This... 

I use no mods, not even scenery fixes or liveries, installed sim on a reset gaming laptop and now a brand new system... and yes I have the true bugs everyone is seeing, but no CTDs, install problems, stuttering, etc.

A big part of this hobby is tinkering, but the most beneficial tinkering comes once the system has matured to a level where there were no more patches.

Same applies here, be patient, all is well.

To each their own, but many rushed to get REX’s weather app for instance, I just chuckled at yesterday’s announcement that Adobo will be improving the weather as a cornerstone of the sim and glad I’m being patient. 

I think we can learn from 3PDs that are themselves be patient, well some...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The new Japan update is very nice. A welcome addition to the scenery away from the usual overly repeated areas of the USA and Western Europe.

This, not so much:

I think the OP's question is very valid. No need to lock the thread or shut down *his opinion*.
There has been progress and there has been some regression, so we are in a different place.

Where I personally would like to see progress is with the flight elements of the sim, specifically aircraft handling. I feel that aircraft are too twitchy, despite playing with the sensitivity sliders and that there's a noticeable change to how aircraft react at the moment of take-off and again at landing.

Edited by F737NG
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Everyone is entitled to express an own opinion if within forum rules, that’s the basic concept of all forums, told that, I suggest to all FS super mega fans to read in the web what real life pilots think about FS, not one feedback only but the vast majority of them.

Btw there also a vey interesting interview released by an ex Aces Studio lead dev and 30 years experienced real life pilot too, his point of view on how much arcade FS is represents a pro perspective.

in the web and within you tube too there are a bunch of real life A320, 787 etc pilots, I hope you do not want to censure them too 🙂

• Like 2

I just applied the "fix tall buildings and LOD" patch referred to above, and then I visited a bigger city in my state that I frequent, and performance still feels noticeably better, especially since I have more settings at Ultra than I usually do. It was better after the patch, but I assumed this was due to the LOD reduction bug. But even with this fixed (AFAIK), performance feels much improved to me.

I don't use FPS meters, rather I go by the "feel" of smoothness, and it just feels smoother. Perhaps this is because I also recently turned off my rolling cache, based on things I've read here. Whatever the reason, I'm impressed with the performance boost.

• Upvote 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdsjwig9PKQ

What role did they designers play in the development of the Textron plane in FS? Did the Color & Trim lady choose the right colors for the seats in the game?

After all was it so difficult for Asobo to model copy a plane in 3D, so they needed designers?

This should be a serious question, why didn`t Asobo came to the idea co-working with engineers of Textron but choose designers?