Sign in to follow this  
DawgINco

MSFS2020: Saitek Yoke with BU0836 Interface - Unusable in ga

For Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

I've been messing around with the settings in MSFS2020 for too many hours now, and can't seem to get any smoothness from my yoke controls in game. Works just fine in Xplane11.

I've got a modified Saitek Yoke with a Leo Bodnar BU0836 board.

FS2020 recognizes the board, and i've recalibrated the hardware controller in Windows 10 settings. 

I've gotten the roll and pitch axis configured in game to the board, and made sure the saitek config settings aren't also set to roll/pitch axis (I know that causes a ton of issues in Xplane11), and the sensitivity curves do make a difference, but the in game deadzone is basically 85% of the yoke physical movement, regardless of what DZ is set in game. Basically imagine turning yoke right to 75-80%, then at 90%, the in game yoke goes from neutral to full deflect right.

I've searched all over, and either it's not discussed or I'm a terrible search person (probably the latter).

Is there a way to configure where this setup is usable?

30 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Can you show a screen shot of your in game curve?

Absolutely.

Here's the current curve. I've tried to flatten, +values, -values, and still have a terrible deadzone in game 

H6fv9lS.png

I'd start by leaving deadzone on zero for now, it doesn't help while trying to fault find - you can always add it later on. All I can suggest is trying is 70% as a test to see if you can get the in game yoke to move with less input. You wont be able to fly it easily like that but it is for testing.

There are major issues with control sensitivity vs what the on screen yoke is doing vs what your physical yoke is doing. I found that in order to make the physical yoke match the on screen yoke you need about +50% sensitivity. BUT to make the aircraft response closely match the yoke input you need -50% sensitivity. There is a definite disconnect between them at the moment.

Personally I fly with -50% and turn off the on screen yokes and it feels good. I'm struggling to work out what is going on with yours. Especially after it will not centre when you return your yoke to the middle. Can you show your yoke setting assignments?

3 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

I'd start by leaving deadzone on zero for now, it doesn't help while trying to fault find - you can always add it later on. All I can suggest is trying is 70% as a test to see if you can get the in game yoke to move with less input. You wont be able to fly it easily like that but it is for testing.

There are major issues with control sensitivity vs what the on screen yoke is doing vs what your physical yoke is doing. I found that in order to make the physical yoke match the on screen yoke you need about +50% sensitivity. BUT to make the aircraft response closely match the yoke input you need -50% sensitivity. There is a definite disconnect between them at the moment.

Personally I fly with -50% and turn off the on screen yokes and it feels good. I'm struggling to work out what is going on with yours. Especially after it will not centre when you return your yoke to the middle. Can you show your yoke setting assignments?

Yeah, with that video, here are the settings. I've been playing with it again all morning.

https://imgur.com/a/xlz13pO

And here are the settings for the yoke

https://imgur.com/a/jd2OZLS

I did see the keyboard had aileron, pitch, and yaw settings defined to some keys..so I disabled them just to be safe, and still have the same results as the video. Was really hoping the keys were causing an override. 😞 

What about the bodnar board assignments? Does the bar smoothly moved left and right and return to the middle when you let go? Trying to work out why the on screen yokes dont.

7 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

What about the bodnar board assignments? Does the bar smoothly moved left and right and return to the middle when you let go? Trying to work out why the on screen yokes dont.

Yep. Bounces back center in both the sensitivity settings and in the device manager calibration settings for the board.

5 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Set it at -50 and fly it, what happens? Ignore the on screen yoke. How does it actually fly?

It's pretty comical. Slight backpressure and it starts to climb then immediately goes full nose up attitude. Same with the ailerons, slight roll with the yoke and goes into a barrel roll. Doesn't seem to match the sensitivity curve when applying pressure to either X or Y axis.

For your viewing pleasure, disregard my awful centerline, am more focused on the x/y axis than the rudders for now. lol 

https://imgur.com/a/p9IlIjp

Have you got another controller you can set it to the same settings and try? Just wondering if there is something wrong with your install?

Maybe delete your bodnar profile in sim and reassign it. Did you get it to detect the axis or did you chose from the drop down?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tutmeister said:

Have you got another controller you can set it to the same settings and try? Just wondering if there is something wrong with your install?

Maybe delete your bodnar profile in sim and reassign it. Did you get it to detect the axis or did you chose from the drop down?

I don't have another controller unfortunately. I did try to fly last night using the keyboard, that was a joy. 😕 

It did detect the axis from the beginning. I'll try to delete the profile and report back. Thanks

11 minutes ago, DawgINco said:

I don't have another controller unfortunately. I did try to fly last night using the keyboard, that was a joy. 😕 

It did detect the axis from the beginning. I'll try to delete the profile and report back. Thanks

SOLVED: you're the best!

I went back in to see the axis, and while the roll/pitch controls were assigned, the actual x/y axis were not identified.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

2 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Quoted the wrong post. 

@tutmeister Thank you!! Was able to solve. You're the best.

Hope this thread helps anyone else running into the same issue.