Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Is it a good idea to get into Prepar3D now?

Hi,

I am an existing X-Plane 11 user, and a fan of airliners. Sadly, I started to regret getting X-Plane, as it lacks for the aircraft I love, when compared to their Prepar3D counterparts. PMDG 747, 777, FSLabs A320, QualityWings 787, Majestic Q400, TFDi 717, Leonardo's MD-80, ...

I was planning to wait for PMDG, FSLabs, ... to come to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, however, the recent delay announced by PMDG made me lean towards Prepar3D. I am also an undergraduate student and won't have much time flying after 1-2 years, so I am not sure if I can wait like more than 1 year for these aircraft.

I got both P3D v5 and MSFS, and after spending time on MSFS with its beautiful visuals, using P3D is really hard for me. However, it looks like these airliners I love will take like 1-2 years to come to the MSFS, so I don't have any oher chance anyway.

So, I am here with a few questions, as a beginner:

• Is it really a good idea to get into Prepar3D v5 now? Will these airliners I've mentioned indeed take a lot of time to come to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator?
  • What improvements will Prepar3D v6 bring?
  • Even though I am really enjoying sky environment of Prepar3D v5, the ground environment is really disappointing. Is Orbx TrueEarth good for that purpose?
  • I am also unsatisfied with the default night lighting, is there a visual add-on to make it look like X-Plane 11 night lighting?
  • Overall, what visual add-ons do I need to make Prepar3D v5 look beautiful like X-Plane 11?

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

24 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

• Is it really a good idea to get into Prepar3D v5 now? Will these airliners I've mentioned indeed take a lot of time to come to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator?
  • Even though I am really enjoying sky environment of Prepar3D v5, the ground environment is really disappointing. Is Orbx TrueEarth good for that purpose?
  • I am also unsatisfied with the default night lighting, is there a visual add-on to make it look like X-Plane 11 night lighting?
  • Overall, what visual add-ons do I need to make Prepar3D v5 look beautiful like X-Plane 11?

P3DV5 is a great simulation platform, and for an airliner fan, yes, go for it!

It works, and it is here, now!

V6.. what is that?

Orbx True Earth is overkill, but Orbx Global and Landclass will do the job for you.

As for visuals / lighting etc... go fly MSFS some more, it has great lighting, as you have seen already.  🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Bert

Before this thread gets locked, for an all round experience I'd say a resounding yes.

• Like 2

David Porrett

Hi and welcome to the Avsim forums.

It would be good if you could add your PC specs to your signature so that other people know what your setup is.

Given that you are unsure of how long you will spend in the hobby, I would recommend buying only one airliner to start with, just to make sure that you really like using P3D (it needs a lot of add-ons, freeware or payware to make it look respectable in 2020, especially if you have already used MSFS).

Everyone here has their personal favourite airliner. Some swear by the vast systems depth of the FSLabs A320, others by the detail and PBR of the PMDG 747 or 737NGXu.
I like the Majestic Q400, it allows me to have an airliner that is not heavy on my PCs resources so that I get a realistic airliner into extremely detailed sceneries and environments without a unmanageable FPS drop that the FSLabs Airbus would give. The only downside with the Dash 8 is that there's no PBR texturing.

27 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

To answer your questions:

• We're on the cusp of a new point release (v5.1) of P3D that we hope will bring some stability to our GPUs' VRAM usage. Since v5.0 launched with DX12, flight simmers with GPUs with 'only' 8 GB of VRAM or less have suffered CTDs.
    Additionally, a new weather renderer TrueSky appeared as an open beta feature. Hopefully this is finalised to give us more modern looking weather.

• Way too early to be discussing v6.
    P3D v4 was developed for 3 years, before a new version appeared.

• You have to balance your settings and expectations with Orbx's TrueEarth. It's designed for 'low and slow' VFR flying, but if your PC is fast enough and you don't overdo the settings, you can use it for airliner flights. *You will have to compromise*.
    Alternatively, you could investigate 'Ortho4XP for P3D' to generate freeware aerial imagery for your sim.

• There are night lighting products, however none are as good as XP. Save your money.

• Using the default Enhanced Atmospherics and PBR settings in P3D could be enough. Alternatively, you could take a look at EnvShade.

Edited by F737NG
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Hi, and thank you all.

I guess I will indeed start with Prepar3D, preferably slowly as @F737NG suggested. Airliners coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator will take a lot more than I can wait, after all. I can do exciting airliner flights (I really like trying failure procedures) on P3D and enjoy the beautiful scenery with default GA aircraft on MSFS when I want to relax, until high-detail aircraft add-ons are released (even though I probably won't have much time for flight simulation once this happened) for it...

Again, thank you all for your welcoming comments.

• Like 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

46 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, it looks better than MSFS in many aspects (not all) ... it will be a harder on FPS than Orbx Global.

I can't comment on LM's road map, but they are very aware of what needs to happen to keep DLC providers interested long term.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob said it the best.

My suggestion would be DCS for the time being....and I know it is not everyone's cup of tea as it is military aviation only.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I think true earth is way better than orbx regions for airliner flying, as landclass based textures look like trash at high altitude compared to photoscenery. I refuse to fly anywhere with mountains or desert in p3d unless its with photo scenery, of which true earth is the best because you get autogen too.  I dont really understand why true earth would hurt performance compared to regions, the photoreal textures dont put anymore load on your system aside from using more ram/vram.  The only thing I noticed about true earth is the configurator doesn't let you disable things like windmills like the regions do, that might hurt performance but honestly it seems to be the same for me around ksfo as the norcal region with antennas, windmills, and cranes off so maybe they optimized it.  

Edited by Pilot53

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Your system should be able to run TrueEarth effortlessly at maximum detail levels, Mike. I have everything enabled in TrueEarth GB and Netherlands on my i5 7600k @ 4.6Ghz/32GB DDR4-3600 RAM/6GB GTX 980Ti powered system, and P3Dv4.5HF2 runs fine.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, it looks better than MSFS in many aspects (not all) ... it will be a harder on FPS than Orbx Global.

I can't comment on LM's road map, but they are very aware of what needs to happen to keep DLC providers interested long term.

Cheers, Rob.

They redo the night lighting and maybe use their proprietary satellite data (Google Lockheed Martin Precision Terrain) than that would be a true competition.

Eric 

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

ORBX TE is not a viable alternative to MSFS unless one is independently wealthy. The performance is not comparable to MSFS either. Despite all its bugs, MSFS  scenery is the most natural and immersive experience one can get in a flightsim.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

More than that needs to happen, and they know it.  Biggest issues are object blending and light (this is why people say "cartoon") ... AO support will help with the blending, and AE will eventually get the lighting right ... now getting DLC providers to update their scenery and aircraft that's another story ... given that many users expect perpetual for free updates for the entire life of their FSX products thru all versions of P3D V2 to Vx.x  vs. I can sell it as "new" in MSFS ... you see the challenge LM faces?

Cheers, Rob.

They need to force all third party to install outside.  Some do and some don't.  Do you know how much time waste it is to keep reinstalling addons.  OMG.  For example and I will single out - Flightbeam does it half baked - they use third party install method using xml and yet the files are in the sim.  What gives.  

Edited by Skywolf

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

1 minute ago, jabloomf1230 said:

ORBX TE is not a viable alternative to MSFS unless one is independently wealthy. The performance is not comparable to MSFS either. Despite all its bugs, MSFS  scenery is the most natural and immersive experience one can get in a flightsim.

Totally agree

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I would only agree that MSFS is the most *visually* immersive experience.  "Most natural", no, not at all...acft flying in MSFS are twitchy and unstable, and still poorly modelled as to flight characteristics.  And if your definition of "immersion" includes the planning and problem-solving headwork that makes up 90% of flying and staying ahead of a credibly-modelled jet aircraft--its systems and its operation, then no again, MSFS lacks that dimension of immersion.

For the OP--if *operating* an airliner is what you're after, then P3D delivers the best options now.  If experiencing the visual perspective of being in the air is what you're after, then MSFS delivers the best options now.  As to how each will evolve towards the strong suits of the other, it really remains to be seen.  I'm sure both camps are working hard at doing just that.  As to what will result and when, well I don't have a crystal ball, and neither does anyone else--those that tell you that x WILL happen aren't any better positioned to foresee the future than you or I...they just have a strong belief that is more based on a religion-like faith than a basis in fact.

I have both.  MSFS is mostly an interesting curiosity to me at the moment, but I am keeping my eye on it just the same.  But when it's time to pull out the charts, plan, and execute a flight in a complex acft, P3D is still my go-to platform. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I would only agree that MSFS is the most *visually* immersive experience.  "Most natural", no, not at all...acft flying in MSFS are twitchy and unstable, and still poorly modelled as to flight characteristics.  And if your definition of "immersion" includes the planning and problem-solving headwork that makes up 90% of flying and staying ahead of a credibly-modelled jet aircraft--its systems and its operation, then no again, MSFS lacks that dimension of immersion.

For the OP--if *operating* an airliner is what you're after, then P3D delivers the best options now.  If experiencing the visual perspective of being in the air is what you're after, then MSFS delivers the best options now.  As to how each will evolve towards the strong suits of the other, it really remains to be seen.  I'm sure both camps are working hard at doing just that.  As to what will result and when, well I don't have a crystal ball, and neither does anyone else--those that tell you that x WILL happen aren't any better positioned to foresee the future than you or I...they just have a strong belief that is more based on a religion-like faith than a basis in fact.

I have both.  MSFS is mostly an interesting curiosity to me at the moment, but I am keeping my eye on it just the same.  But when it's time to pull out the charts, plan, and execute a flight in a complex acft, P3D is still my go-to platform. 

At least if you are going to quote what I said and respond, then respond appropriately. My quote said "MSFS scenery" and your response has nothing to do with scenery and everything to do with the piloting side of MSFS, which is still not even close to XP11 and P3d5. The two legacy sims are (to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln) "of the pilots, by the pilots and for the pilots." MSFS hasn't gotten that far yet, but I'll wager that they fix the piloting issues well before LM and especially LR fix the appearance deficits.

• Like 3