Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Is it a good idea to get into Prepar3D now?

19 minutes ago, LHookins said:

But I absolutely guarantee that when P3D goes to a streaming scenery model I will be back

As a figure of speech and not a personal barb mate .... anybody who permanently leaves P3D or XPlane is crazy.  Why do that when they are still so very enjoyable.  I agree with you though that through P3D and XPlane we will experience a flurry of great updates.  No way is MSFS going to get away without a fight.  Great time to be simming regardless of platform.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

8 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Like in real life, the new fad is to attempt to cancel out any one who does not support their self important view on any subject. Many folks are angry and embarrassed that they invested so much time over the past year hyping what they thought was going to be the FS program to end all FS programs. It just did not happen.

Nailed it.  I remember folks stating that they weren't going to have to buy scenery/utilities/weather add-ons because MSFS was going to have everything right out of the box.  The $60 vs $2000 argument.

2 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Nailed it.  I remember folks stating that they weren't going to have to buy scenery/utilities/weather add-ons because MSFS was going to have everything right out of the box.  The $60 vs $2000 argument.

Yep, there is a reason that all over the world people put many different kinds of toppings on vanilla ice cream. LOL. Over the years I have enjoyed throwing out the old simmer vs gamer bait just to watch some of the brain surgeons twist in the wind but it seems that finally we have official FS2020 gamers and Flight Simmers. Thank you MS for clearing that up! No more blurry lines!! 🤓

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

6 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Nick, you complain that people are not friendly here, but then you go and make a dumb troll post like that.

It's called humor.

6 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

That makes no sense. Why would i ditch p3d now just because another sim possibly may have the thing i currently have in a years time? PMDG 777 for MSFS...in 2022? Never? Who knows, but abandoning p3d now so i can wait around for a day that may never come sounds like a bad idea. 

Noone is telling you to ditch anything. I'm just saying that to me it's pretty clear where this is going. For all of us who have been in the flight sim world for a long time we know the feeling too well of being left behind, trying to get various abandoned and non-compatible addons and versions to work together. I'm not going to just sit here and wait for this to happen again.

If you think that P3D and its addons make for a good sim then fine. Personally I'm done. It's simply not enjoyable because of the many issues and I see absolutely nothing happening from the developer in the right direction. No matter if you like it or not we already see pretty much every 3rd party developer shifting their focus away from P3D. Not only because they follow the money but because they see potential and innovations and a community and a developer that cares. Their own words, not mine. A handful of angry hardcore flight simmers that will hold on to P3D forever will not be able to pay the salary for those 3rd party developers. I think that the core engine of P3D is long past its end of life. The V5 failure showed very clearly that it can't be fixed without an unreasonable amount of rewriting from scratch. If the core isn't working, the rest will fail sooner or later.

This is not to cause a flame war between sims or because I'm some MSFS fan, it's just my honest opinion based on my 20+ or so years of experience with various sims both as a developer, cockpit builder and regular simmer. Remember that the original question was if this is a good time to get into P3D. It would be very dishonest to say yes, when we see LM continue doing pretty much nothing, saying nothing about their future plans (if there are any), still refusing to even confirm bug reports, and 3rd party developers are running in another direction. We are simply not their target audience and this is really starting to show. Remember that this may be a person looking to invest a lot of time and money in this hobby. The least we could do is to make the recommendation to wait and see. I could not recommend anyone to invest heavily in a product that I see no future in, regardless if there are a bunch of nice addons for it today.

Edited by NickBo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NickBo said:

It doesn't take 50+ pages to spell "submarine and a couple of fighter jets".

Now we know know you're in here to cause trouble and stir the pot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

Yet another post taken over by the P3D v MSFS arguments!

Grow up and stick to answering the question posed without showing your own personal perferences.

We all will fly whichever sim we have when it suits us even some  guys are still using FS9 ,others are using FSX etc but please stop this bias of one sim v another.

The forums in Avsim have too many MSFS v other sim posts which are spoiling the reading of many topics for many.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@NickBo please go home. In this forum we aren’t here to talk about the new sim. Maybe when it has better aircraft you will see us over on the other side more often.   Most of us have purchased it already.  You act like we are saying it will never be viable.  Most of us our commenting on it in its current state.  Also V5 issues are far from across the board.  There is a reason me and many others deleted V4 after installing V5

Edited by micstatic
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

@NickBo please go home. In this forum we aren’t here to talk about the new sim. Maybe when it has better aircraft you will see us over on the other side more often.   Most of us have purchased it already.  You act like we are saying it will never be viable.  Most of us our commenting on it in its current state.  Also V5 issues are far from across the board.  There is a reason me and many others deleted V4 after installing V5

Prepar3D v5 is indeed very nice in my experience, I wish PMDG, FSLabs, etc. came earlier to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator so I could enjoy the systems depth with beautiful visuals, but it looks like SDK will take like 1-2 years to be completely done, which is more than I can wait given that I am a college student and will be a lot busier following years.

Right now I am enjoying Prepar3D v5, it is really nice, and I am already using it more than X-Plane (even though X-Plane is a really really nice simulator with beautiful visuals, it doesn't have the airliners Prepar3D offers for now)

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

6 hours ago, NickBo said:

Noone is telling you to ditch anything. I'm just saying that to me it's pretty clear where this is going. For all of us who have been in the flight sim world for a long time we know the feeling too well of being left behind, trying to get various abandoned and non-compatible addons and versions to work together. I'm not going to just sit here and wait for this to happen again.

If you think that P3D and its addons make for a good sim then fine. Personally I'm done. It's simply not enjoyable because of the many issues and I see absolutely nothing happening from the developer in the right direction. No matter if you like it or not we already see pretty much every 3rd party developer shifting their focus away from P3D. Not only because they follow the money but because they see potential and innovations and a community and a developer that cares. Their own words, not mine. A handful of angry hardcore flight simmers that will hold on to P3D forever will not be able to pay the salary for those 3rd party developers. I think that the core engine of P3D is long past its end of life. The V5 failure showed very clearly that it can't be fixed without an unreasonable amount of rewriting from scratch. If the core isn't working, the rest will fail sooner or later.

This is not to cause a flame war between sims or because I'm some MSFS fan, it's just my honest opinion based on my 20+ or so years of experience with various sims both as a developer, cockpit builder and regular simmer. Remember that the original question was if this is a good time to get into P3D. It would be very dishonest to say yes, when we see LM continue doing pretty much nothing, saying nothing about their future plans (if there are any), still refusing to even confirm bug reports, and 3rd party developers are running in another direction. We are simply not their target audience and this is really starting to show. Remember that this may be a person looking to invest a lot of time and money in this hobby. The least we could do is to make the recommendation to wait and see. I could not recommend anyone to invest heavily in a product that I see no future in, regardless if there are a bunch of nice addons for it today.

“I don’t to start a flame war..,”

”It would be very dishonest...”

You are seriously suggesting we are being “very dishonest” when we recommend P3D to others???

In case you hadn’t noticed, you are in a Prepar3d forum, mate. Go and make your low-effort troll posts somewhere else. 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

OK, we've gotten into rehash of the rehash here, and well off the topic.  Time to move along.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case