Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

FSX Self-Shadows bug...

Hello simmers!Is anyone notice that self-shadow building technology working not correct in FSX ? Guys did Sun closer, really closer ?http://sibwings.com/fsdev/shadows.jpgWhere was a lot of beta-testers ? Or I'm stupid ? Or something wrong with my PC ? Sorry if this was already disscussed, I did some seach do not find anything about... Andrey Tsvirenko[a href=http://www.sibwings.com/]http://www.sibwings.com/banner/dev.gif[/a]

soh-banner.png

Self-shadowing is a fine concept, and I like its rendition in FSX sometimes, but it does have some weird anomalies from time to time. I had to look at your shot and think about it for a minute, but yeah, I see what you're saying. The sun would have to be just out of the frame... literally! Still, they're on the right track. Maybe the DX10 patch will have some refinements for this too.

why do people insist on calling out the beta testers like they have some magic wand they can wave and the problem is fixed? how insulting to blame them when 99.999% of the bugs are found but the developers do not fix them

Guest tmilton

>Guys did Sun closer, really closer ?Sorry, I'm not sure I understood completely what you meant by that - "did Sun closer". ?? :-hmmm Anyway, being a new feature, I'm sure there are a few quirks on self-shadowing.

I'm really sorry for my English, but look into the screen - Beaver have rectangular wing, so such shadow on fuselage only possible if the source of light is not far (close? in English) from object... Sun is absolutelly far - so the borders of shadow from start edge and end edge of wing must be parallel!Andrey Tsvirenko[a href=http://www.sibwings.com/]http://www.sibwings.com/banner/dev.gif[/a]

soh-banner.png

Guest Jimbofly

I completely agree Alex.James

Guest Jimbofly

Well maybe you should volunteer to join the Aces graphics team!Seriously if it bothers you that much just turn self-shadowing off. It only eats fps anyway.James

Seems like a simple thing you would expect they would get right!Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Shocky

>Well maybe you should volunteer to join the Aces graphics>team!>>Seriously if it bothers you that much just turn self-shadowing>off. It only eats fps anyway.>>JamesWhat is wrong with pointing it out? Every single post of yours is in one way or another trying to defend screw ups from the ACES team.I don't use it, but if he likes it and this bug is bothering him he has got every right to post it here just like everyone else.and the "if you don't like it return it/turn it off posts really start to get annoying.just my 0.2

Yes, I agree that is poor implementation of the distance of the light source (unless you happen to have got the aircraft up to FL29990). I imagine that would not be too hard to correct in a patch, although you might find that it was done through choice, in much the same way as many special effects in movies are 'not what something would look like in real life' but are done anyway cos it looks more cinematic, or perhaps shows up better.Having said that, the fact that there actually are shadows on your aeroplane is a step forward, so in general terms it's a welcome addition. Although I would have preferred it if they had implemented shadows which thin out a bit at the edges (i.e. have a penumbra for all you technical terminology sticklers). Sometimes the shadows on the ground look more like they are painted on the ground rather than cast from the shape of an object.So, fingers crossed and roll on FS12.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest allcott

MSFS has a fine history of adding a new feature in one version, refining it in the next, and then finally getting it right in the one after.Yep, roll on FS12! :)Having said that, it really looks like this was an implementation designed for DX10, so maybe we shall see this working in its glory once the DX10 update is released and we've all spent thousands to accommodate the `free` patch.Allcott

Guest macc1966

Привет, Андрей,Я с тобой согласен. У FSX есть несколько "bugs". Я надеюсь что "patch" для этого и для "frame rate" проблемы, скоро у нас будет.Какие у тебя, в компьютере, спецификации?Я недавно купил "FSX", но есть плохо исполнение (от 6 до 12 FPS).Я жду с нетерпением момент, когда мои любимые самолёты - Илиушин ИЛ 96-300 и Туполев ТУ-154 на красивых цветах аэрофлота, будут в этой