Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Full screen = FPS killer

Maybe someone could comment on this and tell me why this happens on my PC:My specs in short:WinXP ProAthlon64 3400+Radeon 9800 Pro1GB RAMDual-Screen (Windows desktop spread over 2 monitors) with 1600x1200 CRT and 1280x1024 LCDFSX Deluxe is configured to use both screens (4xAA, 6xAF, done by the driver, FSX is set to Trilinear only), target FPS is about 24.In windowed mode (maximized on the 1600x1200 screen) I get about unbelievable 400% more FPS than in full screen mode (e.g. 24 FPS in windowed compared to 5-6 FPS in full screen)!So, there's light at the end of the tunnel even for my old PC ;-) (though FS9 is here to stay for now)...Andreas

Well, i dont know what happens on your PC, but i think i know what happens on mine .. ;-PI use a NVidia 7900 GTX 512 MB graphics card with two CRT monitors attached - in DualView mode (= ATI DualScreen mode). Both monitors use the SAME resolution: 1280 x 1024. I cant see any significant difference in the framerates between fullsreen and windowed mode.I know that LCD's prefer their "native" resolution - thats why i stick to CRT .. ;-P

The way I understand it, at least in FS9, when in windowed more, you are not using the full 3D capability of your graphics, hence slightly better performance. Could be the same in FSX. Try changing resolutions to see if that helps. I find have gaming resolutions matching my desktop helps a lot.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest tmilton

Also in windowed mode, I believe the Anti-aliasing is disabled, and this may raise the performance. (Take a close look at the image to verify jagged edges in windows mode)

Guest Vilk

back in the fs9 days i was able to trace similar behaviour to an incorrectly installed video card driver. getting a new one and doing it right fixed the problem. just an idea

>Also in windowed mode, I believe the Anti-aliasing is>disabled, and this may raise the performance. (Take a close>look at the image to verify jagged edges in windows mode)Not true at least for me - I definitely have AA in windowed mode. I'm forcing it on with the driver.One reason you could see higher performance in windowed mode than full screen is that the video card is literally doing less work because it's drawing less pixels.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan,I have had it on good approval that, while in windowed mode causes no hardware acceleration.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Strange, strange, but yesterday, I was not able to re-create this behaviour. Same FPS in either mode...BTW: In a discussion about windowed vs. full screen mode in FS9 someone wrote that the tale that in windowed mode no hardware acceleration is made is untrue.I can hardly believe that "full 3D" is possible in fullscreen only, I guess many DirectX games don't even have such a full screen mode at all.And to me, FSX looks the same in either mode (or is ist just an illusion?)...Anyone has some hard facts?Andreas