Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Understanding FSX blurries

I understand that whenever computing power is not sufficient, terrain is put to "blurred mode" (a consequence of the settings of the sliders on the display config screens).I sometimes have the situation that I have some sliders more on the right side (e.g. terrain texture size maxed out) and the terrain is perfectly sharp, and I am in slew mode (with a simple plane loaded).Then, all of a sudden, without me having done something, the whole terrain flips to "fully blurred" without ever coming back as it seems, even if I reduce e.g. water and scenery details to "none".So, if there's no apparent reason that the terrain cannot be rendered (e.g. because of high speed movement over it), why is FSX unable to catch up with rendering after some time? I waited 5 min without any change...In FS9, even under the heaviest load, when "standing still", I get the terrain always rendered after some time...Someone please enlighten me!Andreas

Guest allcott

>I understand that whenever computing power is not sufficient,>terrain is put to "blurred mode" (a consequence of the>settings of the sliders on the display config screens).>>I sometimes have the situation that I have some sliders more>on the right side (e.g. terrain texture size maxed out) and>the terrain is perfectly sharp, and I am in slew mode (with a>simple plane loaded).>>Then, all of a sudden, without me having done something, the>whole terrain flips to "fully blurred" without ever coming>back as it seems, even if I reduce e.g. water and scenery>details to "none".>>So, if there's no apparent reason that the terrain cannot be>rendered (e.g. because of high speed movement over it), why is>FSX unable to catch up with rendering after some time? I>waited 5 min without any change...>>In FS9, even under the heaviest load, when "standing still", I>get the terrain always rendered after some time...>>Someone please enlighten me!>>AndreasThere are NO textures in FSX that require the slider to be fully right - the max texture size included in the defrault sim is 1 metre, so you are asking what it cannot deliver. Understand what the sliders are for what the limits are in the product as shipped, and why those sliders are there to provide for future products and enhancements, and all will be well. BTW the same goes for the Mesh slider. Do sonme research and see what the settings should be unless/until you find replacement high quality mesh.Allcott

I have noticed this problem a lot with faster aircraft, faster than the Baron for instance.The faster way for restoration is to enter Display settings and change the selection for Trilinear/Anisotrophic, either way depending in where it was before, this usually kicks the texture resolution back WITHOUT having to re-boot or re-load everything, takes a second only, not half an hour LOL

Guest cwright

Andreas, fortunately this kind of problem is reasonably well understood (unlike in FS2002 when it first reared its ugly head).Presumably you had been slewing at some high speed when the textures became blurred. This occurs because the scenery engine could not keep up with the slew speed. But there is one puzzle: normally the textures will return to normal after, say, twenty seconds. Of course, this will depend strongly on your system and settings.Assuming this is a case of dynamic blurred textures there are a number of things you can do:Set the frame rate limit as low as you can ( I use 16 FPS).Consider using a lower display resolution.In the fsx.cfg file, add an entry in the (Main) section:e.g. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.330.33 is the default value. If you increase the value the scenery engine will have more processing time devoted to updating the textures (but a larger value will probably decrease frame rates a bit). The maximum value is 1. See if there is an improvement with a value, say, of 0.5As I said, the puzzling thing is that the textures did not clear up after five minutes (I assume you were not still slewing!) It is possible there is some other problem with your setup. For example, you may not have sufficient memory on your graphics card. Mine has 256 Mb and it performs well. Memory below 128 Mb may be a problem.It's also worth doing a forum search as this has been discussed frequently and there's lots of good advice.For any further discussion it's well worth stating your system specs, as this could have a major effect on the problem.Good luck!Best regards, Chris