Sign in to follow this  
Mace

maybe fsx for the xbox 360 is'nt such a bad idea afterall

Guest Pabra

It would run fluidly with all the bells and whistles w/o crashes. Forget about tweaking; go flying for a change....30+fps anytime, everywhere for everyone!Paul@ehgg

Might be a tad tricky when it came to pausing it so you could put your add-on scenery DVD in :-) Which might then affect those rock-solid frame-rates.Seriously though, I think that a realistic flight sim is not the kind of thing that console players would particularly be interested in. In fact I suspect that releasing a console game where you fly planes and DON'T shoot stuff would be commercial suicide.Perhaps an incarnation of CFS for the X-Box might work, but even then, arcade-style flight sims seem to be the order of the day for consoles, rather than ones where you actually have to understand how to operate an aircraft properly. This is a real turn-off for your average person, because not everyone is obsessed with aeroplanes like most of us on this forum probably are.And having to have a keyboard or other peripheral device which allows one to operate all the necessary switches and such for a flight sim is also going to be a turn-off for players on something which generally finds itself plugged into a TV in the living room. Yes the clickable virtual cockpits are making that less of a necessity these days, but anyone who has played a first person shooter with a joypad, and played the same thing with a mouse, will tell you that getting that gun crosshair on the bad guy is simply much quicker and easier to do with a mouse. The same would be true for altering the dials on an MCP.The MMORPG, Star Wars Galaxies, is a case in point here. It was hugely popular on the PC, but was dumbed down so that a console version could be created and ported over to consoles. Sony Online Entertainment really shot themselves in the foot when they did that. S.W.G's loyal fan-base of PC players were outraged at the dumbing-down of 'their' game and left in droves (thus cutting off Sony's monthly fee revenue) and the console players didn't want to sit playing something like that for hours on end, as the PC players had been happy to do. Even less so in a dumbed-down form.This has had a knock-on effect in the gaming world too, as there are many fans of MMORPGS who have quite openly stated that they would never buy another product which had S.O.E. at the helm, and although Sony attempted to back-pedal like mad and make further tweeks to their S.W.G. title, in an attempt to claw subscribers back, it only enraged fans further. You would think that a Star Wars-related game in which people payed monthly to play it would be a license to print money, and sure enough it had been, until they tried to fix what wasn't broken in the first place.Of course MS could make the same mistake and do that with FS - they wouldn't be the first company to repeat another's mistakes - but the way Sony got its fingers burned is well known throughout that industry, so I'm sure they are aware of what a risky proposition it would be to gamble on one of your banker titles.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Pabra

I guess you're right but now with the new mission feature it could appeal to the more arcade public which was the idea in the first place.Dropping flour bombs is'nt what mr wannabe 747 captain is looking for.

Guest Babubhai

I love gaming and I own an Xbox 360...But flight sim on a console :-(Nope never for me....I need a desktop when flying...Flying on a TV screen, 10 feet away, with a joypad....Not a good way to fly...Plus most of us have to share the TV with many people in the householdYou cant just plug in any controller in the USB connection port on the xbox 360. So then you have compatibility issues....Our joysticks wont work...Readability is a big issue on non HDTVs, not everyone owns a HDTV so you are going to have impossible to read panels and text...Loads of problems for developers porting it to a console, 3rd party developers are gona have problems...the xbox 360 hard drive has a very small capacity, the content on marketplace will be very limitedAnd the list goes on and on and on.....Plus from my experience console gamers are not really into casual flight simulations so it probably wont even sell well...This is what the xbox 360 is made for;http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/g/gearsofwar/ <---- THIS GAME IS GONA OWN BTW!!!!!!!!!!

Guest MrBitsy

>It would run fluidly with all the bells and whistles w/o>crashes. Forget about tweaking; go flying for a>change....30+fps anytime, everywhere for everyone!>>Paul@ehggI still can't figure out why there is so much focusing on fps when fluidity is the key. I initially downloaded the demo and thought it was a lot worse than FS9. Howerver, I purchased the deluxe version, installed and was horrified with the stuttering and blurries.Now a couple of weeks later, I have a COMPLETELY smooth FSX with FPS fixed at 20. I have added the PoolSize (2500000) and Fiber entries (0.33) to the cfg file. I downloaded the autogen fix to cut down the number of tree types. I also used the cfg entry to cut down density of tree and buildings.It may be a fair point to say we shouldn't have to do this with a new product, but it makes complete sense to me the sim has been written to take advantage of hardware over the next couple of years, so I am more than happy to tweak it a bit.I am also happy that FSX still looks and flies a LOT better than FS9. I am running Activesky on the same PC and went to Seattle where apparently the sim slows to a crawl. Several cloud layers.Autogen and scenery at normal settingsTextures at 1m resolution.Mesh at 10m (I use the UK VFR scenery demo)Water high 1 (I have not disabled shader 2)Global texture at highest settingShips and pleasure boats at 50% each.Road traffic offI get fps between 15 and 20 BUT it is fluid. In fact, this is the first time I have ever flown any version of FS without stutters. No, my system is not the best out there either. Also, I can fly the RED Bull mission with the above setting completely stutter free- even in turns!AMD Athlon 35001Gb Ram2 7800GT card in SLI (Using SLI mode in 3d settings)AA at 8XAF at 16XSTOP chasing fps and just do the tweaks here to fine tune your system - you can fly fluidly at 15-20 fps!!!Ray Keattch

Guest herkin

I own an Xbox 360 has well buteven though i also thinkthat something close to Fsx,would be cool not sure it's possible other then a dumb downversion and then it maybe it wouldnt be so much fun flying it.There is a Military sim though whichis called Over G Fighters which is a very good sim which let u take offand land on airports and shipsand has well let's u taxi on airports and let u look 360 degree views in the cockpit .But the Graphics isnt close to Next generationbut more of a mix of Old xbox 1.5and xbox 360 put together.Also the problem at hand is the Graphic and cpu and so on maynot be able to handle it has wellit may require serveral discs has many of u pointed out.It might happen that we see a flightsimversion in the future but i dont thinkwe will see anything close atleast for a few years.What we can see though is military sims like Over G Fighters maybe get better during those years but it isn't likelyhas i said that a civil flight sim willshow up and has well it might not go so well but who knows. The cool features if a civil flightsim would appear would be on the marketplacefor the 360 so new planes and airports could be downloaded for certain ammount ofmicrosoft points but has i said above the sizeof it might be a huge problem just look at the mmorpgs like final fantasy on xbox 360 takes a install of 5 gb on the hdd and wont leave muchleft of the xbox 360 harddrive.Here is a link to the game Over G Fighters:http://overgfighters.us.ubi.com/

(in my opinion, of course) Consoles are for arcade games. Not for simulators or strat games.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB