Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

Back to P3D V4.5 / V5 - What I do/do you like about it?

It's more like 10-15 stock airports as LM kept adding them with each HF and I've lost track. FSDeveloper has a thread with the exact tally. It's fairly easy to add a sloped runway with ADE, but in general most runway slopes are so gradual as to not be worth the effort.

19 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

in general most runway slopes are so gradual as to not be worth the effort.

but _some_ are worth the effort, if Devs would only spend the time implementing the feature!

• Upvote 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

26 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

scenery devs have said it's very difficult to implement because you can't just layer the runway texture on the terrain mesh. 

I believe Orbx have said this to LM, I hope LM listened...

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

N592940E0142941

Convince me.

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Gerard his graphics aren't my cup of thee...

MSFS it's simple just next gen stuff, and nothing compares regarding visuals out of the box for me personal...

So I have now two platforms:

P3Dv5 for IFR (airliners)

MSFS for VFR (waiting for the A2A stuff to appear :-))

So I enjoy both...

As for the question from the OP and P3Dv5:

I never left I use both 🙂

Like: lot of study level (however not study level for me anymore)  airliners available... so more a realistic airliner regarding systems compared to real life...

Like: DX12 performance

Like: lot of great 3d party stuff available

Like: Stable and mature software version, however V5 isn't the brightest release in dev...

Like: Smooth performance

Dis-like: still no Airports available with sloped runways... despite P3Dv5 offers it...

Dis-like DX12 VRAM (hope to solve that one with an 3080 20 gb)

Dis-like: Flight model and WX interaction and EA in it's current form, hoping for V5.1 and a mature version of EA.

I foresee that in the upcoming 18 months I personally will use both 🙂...

That said missing the TBM hotstart from XP11

my 2 cents lol

Edited by awf
  • Like 2

André

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Guys,

P3Dv4.5 and v5 are both good, reasonably stable and to a large extent a fully enhanced (with addons) platform.So is Xplane. Many people are not abandoning anything and go back and forth with all of their downloaded and installed platforms, I go to P3D, XPlane and MSFS on a daily basis. I cannot understand anyone who would abandon all that they have enjoyed for a length of time, based on a marketing programme which has resulted in many people having raised (and subsequently disappointed) expectations for MSFS.

Rest assured, that MSFS has exactly the same programme of goals as all before it. The fact that they prioritised "prettiness" ahead of brutal functionality was a marketing (and very successful) strategy. 3PDs will transform this platform as they have done for all the others.  The incomplete SDK will inevitably delay their introduction, but that transformation to excellence will happen in the long term.  

Further, I really feel that the people who have sworn off MSFS will eventually return in the future. It really depends on what they are looking for in a sim.  MSFS instability for some is a given, whilst others are not experiencing the lows that instability, or avionics and other various problems introduce.

If individuals are unhappy, then I can fully understand their frustrations and desire to go back to their previous favourites.  That is not a problem. It can be done with a little less fanfare and vitriol though. 

In the end it does not make a lot of sense (to me at least) to not revisit from time to time even if that revisit is just to confirm that problems have not yet been fixed.

I think that each of our favourite platforms, all, have their strengths.  For MSFS it is "prettiness" for P3D it is all round solidarity and great great aircraft and utilities, For Xplane it is flight dynamics and lighting.  Eventually MSFS (with 3PDs) will attain the great aircraft and utilities standards, and it is hoped that Asobo and/or the community will solve the instability and other hassles or bugs.

To e there is no point in denigrating platforms that you may or may not be happy with.  A simple  "I have this problem which I have reported to ZenDesk along with Event viewer documentation and possibly  .cfg  documentation. 

MSFS has an admitted problem but it would be nice if we could all just support it and continue using the other platforms until it is all sorted out.

Tony   

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

3 hours ago, SAS443 said:

N592940E0142941

Convince me.

Thanks. Will post a screenshot tomorrow ...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

20 hours ago, SAS443 said:

N592940E0142941

Convince me.

For Scandinavia I do not have any PR scenery as I never fly there.

Western + Middle + Southern Europe I do have. 

Perhaps you could pick another place.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 minutes ago, GSalden said:

For Scandinavia I do not have any PR scenery as I never fly there.

Western + Middle + Southern Europe I do have. 

Perhaps you could pick another place.

But I fly in Scandinavia, both IRL and in the sim ofc. I want my sim to mimic what I see and experience from the actual aircraft. Thus my naive enthusiasm over VFR flying in MSFS.

But for comparisons sake. Photoreal vs Photoreal.
Prepar3d V5 running FlyTampas latest EKCH scenery (released in 2020):

• Copenhagen city fully modeled
  • Hand-placed vegetation, and 3D lighting
  • High Resolution surrounding Photo Scenery with custom mesh

...and one of MSFS 341 photorealistic sceneries in Copenhagen /EKCH. So techincally this is the best the two platforms can offer. But one scenery comes at a EUR 30 premium and one is included by default (and missing the Öresund Bridge 😞 )
You decide what looks more natural and realistic.

k5dMUQf.png

• Like 3

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Thanks for the comparison screenshots.

Imho both their strong and weaker points :

Airport : first looks more realistic 

Houses + Trees : second 

Island in the distance: first 

Right upper part coast+land : second

Currently I am making a flight from Amsterdam to Geneva. Will take a look on how it looks on my system with modified Shaders and post a screenshot too.

Don’t know if you have it for P3D :

https://secure.simmarket.com/fsdg-oresund-x-(free)-fsx-p3d.phtml

19 hours ago, awf said:

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Gerard his graphics aren't my cup of thee...

MSFS it's simple just next gen stuff, and nothing compares regarding visuals out of the box for me personal...

So I have now two platforms:

P3Dv5 for IFR (airliners)

MSFS for VFR (waiting for the A2A stuff to appear :-))

So I enjoy both...

As for the question from the OP and P3Dv5:

I never left I use both 🙂

Like: lot of study level (however not study level for me anymore)  airliners available... so more a realistic airliner regarding systems compared to real life...

Like: DX12 performance

Like: lot of great 3d party stuff available

Like: Stable and mature software version, however V5 isn't the brightest release in dev...

Like: Smooth performance

Dis-like: still no Airports available with sloped runways... despite P3Dv5 offers it...

Dis-like: Flight model and WX interaction and EA in it's current form, hoping for V5.1 and a mature version of EA.

🙂

I would like to say that this is exactly (as I see it) what the OP was asking for.

My response has to be almost the same.

Areas I differ in:

P3Dv5 for IFR (airliners) .... I only downloaded P3Dv5 after installing, using and evaluating MSFS. I have a basically trouble free MSFS but I was a little disappointed with the default aircraft.  I believe that the default aircraft are a cut above any other platforms default efforts but I did miss the complex aircraft that P3D and Xplane11 offer. I am still using and enjoying v4.5 too 

MSFS it's simple just next gen stuff, and nothing compares regarding visuals out of the box for me personal...   For me: scenery is stunning but it can be totally inaccurate and in corporate a lot of generic buildings etc. Some airports do not reflect anything like 2020 conditions. I can elaborate if anyone wants further details...I only fly Australia at the moment. 

MSFS for VFR (waiting for the A2A stuff to appear :-))  .... I am waiting for ANY 3PD aircraft whilst noting that it could be a loooooong wait (SDK)

Dis-like: still no Airports available with sloped runways... despite P3Dv5 offers it... This aspect does not really bother me ... I guess I am just used to what we have had in the past.

Dis-like: Flight model and WX interaction and EA in it's current form, hoping for V5.1 and a mature version of EA. .... As I am not a real world pilot, again, flight dynamics/model does not worry me as I have nothing to compare. I have to say though, that I like the bounce and jitters in turbulence that MSFS offers although I think it is overdone. I do not have Ezidok or Chaseplane which, from videos I have seen, do an excellent job in this area. Weather .. I use REX Skyforce and I am very happy with that, albeit, live weather sometimes leaves a bit to be desired as far as accuracy is concerned.

I foresee that in the upcoming 18 months I personally will use both    .  I am using all of my platforms (v4.5, Xplane11 and MSFS on a daily basis and enjoying them all for their individual superiorities.

I  thought awf did a good job with his summation and the people who are not going back and forth are simply missing out to some degree.  In no way, do I look at using any platform other than MSFS, as a step backwards, and until MSFS surpasses all the other platforms in every aspect, I will be continuing the back and forth programme LOL

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:11 AM, mpo910 said:

My approach of this topic is a positive one! I would like to keep it this way please. I will try to stay objective as much as possible and I would like to ask you to do also so. 😉

Since a few weeks I do observate that a lot of simmers are "coming back" to P3D. If it is V4 or V5 does not matter in this thread.

The most of "us" come back from trying MSFS, At least I do assume. Some others never "left the building".

I had my reasons for coming back. I also did try MSFS for a while. But already after 2 weeks of "trying" I did decide to "go back to P3D".

What I like about P3D:

• A very stable plattofrm (at least in my case. This could be different in "your" case)
  • Lot´s of addons
  • Great ground handling wich raises the immersion
  • High Profs. Airplane Addons with good system depth (FSLabs, PMDG, etc. Even Aerosoft beats MSFS at this moment)
  • With EA at Beta a "promissing" visual approach in short/mid term
  • For me a big reasons is a good performing VR
  • Outstanding overall performance since V4.5HF2 and even better with V5

These are the main reasons I came back. 

What I also realised is the "behaviour" of some simmers here in the P3D section of AVSIM. It seems to me (SUBJETIVE) that it is more "adult" overhere! More "core simmers" with long long lasting experiences who are always having a helping hand with very good and working approaches!

Now....what about you? Why are you back? Or why did you never leave?

Very curious about your feedback 

I agree with you, there seems to be too much agressivness in MSFS forums, I have already unsubscribed the oficial MSFS forum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Francisco Aguiar

Well, both have advantages and disavantages.

P3dv 5 for its in depth aircraft, GTN750 that mimick my real aircraft one and that I can easily update with current cycle, Vox ATC that provides a much more realistic ATC. Better visual at night on my 3 screen (msfs light points are too blurry). No more important bugs.

• Like 1

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

3 hours ago, SAS443 said:

k5dMUQf.png

Copenhagen4.jpg

• Like 1

@GSalden So this is a neighborhood in default zoom from your P3D image. 

y18TUfV.png

Same neighborhood in MSFS

rDb7MSa.png

I'm not saying MSFS is perfect, but it comfortably beats Flytampas EUR 30 addon for P3D (Not sure how the FT-scenery is treated in MSFS since I don't own it)

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 5

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

38 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

@GSalden So this is a neighborhood in default zoom from your P3D image. 

y18TUfV.png

Same neighborhood in MSFS

rDb7MSa.png

I'm not saying MSFS is perfect, but it comfortably beats Flytampas EUR 30 addon for P3D (Not sure how the FT-scenery is treated in MSFS since I don't own it)

I agree that from close up MSFS looks better.

Also the PR part from FT certainly looks better than P3D’s LC scenery even though it looks quiet green and is already an aged addon. 

When comparing Orbx TE NL + TE UK and FranceVFR PR scenery the difference with MSFS is not that much. Especially when flying jetliners.

A plus for MSFS is that you do not need to buy PR scenery.
On the other hand the TE series have all POIs already where with MSFS addon developers are seeing a commercial opportunity to sell POI packages.

Regarding PR scenery for Denmark (P3D) : Vidan Design has made some.