Sign in to follow this  
hanhamreds

RTX 3090 owners - worth it?

These cards will likely shine later when the development can take better advantage of them coupled with CPU optimization

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I have 3090, and no, not worth it. But, it is the fastest and the best GPU for gaming, so it is a great card. I have TUF OC, and im very happy owner.

Edited by zemez
  • Like 3

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

my Asus tuf rtx3090 should arrive yesterday, unfortunately the parcel service did not managed it 😞

And today is a holiday X( no one works. I have to wait for monday *sigh*

and for those, yes you, my 3090 will not just run MSFS, it is a superb Rendering card, especially if you are into photogrammetry.

And yes this card is made for me i am a VR enthusiast 😁

• Like 1

I couldnt care less about how many fps it gives extra, its way too expensive to buy for a game. Doesnt really matter if you have 35 fps or 60 fps in flightsimulator, if you dont use a fps counter you wont notice.

Edited by OHN767
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have an MSI 3090 Ventus. All of the comments here have correctly pointed out that these cards are overkill for general gaming at the moment. Yes, the 24 GB is helpful for MSFS - it allows for somewhat higher settings without stuttering but it wasn't a huge jump over my 2080 TI. Bottom line is that I purchased the 3090 for a course that I teach in Neural Networks and Deep Learning and I use it for research. Otherwise there is NO way that I would have bought one. The 3080 is a much better fit for gaming - but I would wait for something with a bit more VRAM, as is rumored. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yvrjml said:

I built a power PC for this sim and am VERY impressed by the 3080...I wonder how much performance boost actually comes with the 3090?

Well? Tell us more, give us some actual numbers...

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, zemez said:

I have 3090, and no, not worth it. But, it is the fastest and the best GPU for gaming, so it is a great card. I have TUF OC, and im very happy owner.

What type of performance are you actually getting? Quantify it for us.... 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 minute ago, ahsmatt7 said:

What type of performance are you actually getting? Quantify it for us.... 

Well, internet are full of reviews and stuff. I think reviewers tells it better than me.

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

It would be better at this point to wait for the AMD announcement on Oct 8th

8 October is for Zen 3, RDNA 2 announcement is on 28 October.

3 hours ago, hanhamreds said:

Which is exactly what I'm doing - Navi21 will provoke an reaction from Nvidia

It already has, with Ampere being a rushed launch with overvolted cards and boosted clocks, and them delaying the RTX 3070 release and review embargo to one day after the RDNA 2 reveal. AMD and Navi 2x must have really spooked them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

8 October is for Zen 3, RDNA 2 announcement is on 28 October.

It already has, with Ampere being a rushed launch with overvolted cards and boosted clocks, and them delaying the RTX 3070 release and review embargo to one day after the RDNA 2 reveal. AMD and Navi 2x must have really spooked them.

Not to mention the 3070 super 16gb and 3080 super 20GB are already showing up in partners databases whereas with the 20xx series the supers took a year or more to appear

It really translates into how fanatical you are. Right now a 2070 does the work with everything in ULTRA and FullHD..

In my case I am an executive pilot for me a gamer pc always been and will be one that can run the sim fluently..

Why would I like to spend so much on a GPU when a cheaper options does the trick..? for the same reason that the simulators of CAE and Flightsafety are worth more than even the plane they simulate, and that is immersion to ensure that under no argument  the simulator won’t have any drop in FPS or stutters even if is just a thousandth of a second in a real sim the moment you have stutters you lose the immersion and the purpose of the sim that is to simulate emergencies..

If you add to that you will be able to use a virtual reality system in 2K definitely if you have the money go for the 3090..

32 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Not to mention the 3070 super 16gb and 3080 super 20GB are already showing up in partners databases whereas with the 20xx series the supers took a year or more to appear

Which kind of tells you that THOSE will be the ones to compete against the AMD, meaning they will be nothing worth waiting for.... 

35 minutes ago, SUNDR1V3R said:

It really translates into how fanatical you are. Right now a 2070 does the work with everything in ULTRA and FullHD..

The game packs so much detail, especially at Ultra settings, that 1080p is really not ideal. While it does depend on one's vision and tolerance against aliasing and shimmering (as well as blur caused by post-processing AA), as well as the size of the display and distance you're sitting from it, there is a reason we did not stop at 1080p.

35 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Which kind of tells you that THOSE will be the ones to compete against the AMD, meaning they will be nothing worth waiting for.... 

They are also resurrecting GA103, and there has to be reason for them to do something like that.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 1

I game at 4K (on my TV) on Ultra and with my 2080ti I get between 40-45 FPS in GA aircraft away from major cities. So I believe if I really want to have acceptable frame rates in airliners in NY or LA, I’m going to need more GPU. 

i will wait until the Big Navi reveal. But if they can’t offer something the same or better than the 3090 at a lower price. I will get a 3090. 

i think that 10GB of VRAM is a non starter. 16GB should be the minimum for a card expected to support this game (and many others) at 4K on highest settings going forward. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I game at 4K (on my TV) on Ultra and with my 2080ti I get between 40-45 FPS in GA aircraft away from major cities. So I believe if I really want to have acceptable frame rates in airliners in NY or LA, I’m going to need more GPU. 

i will wait until the Big Navi reveal. But if they can’t offer something the same or better than the 3090 at a lower price. I will get a 3090. 

i think that 10GB of VRAM is a non starter. 16GB should be the minimum for a card expected to support this game (and many others) at 4K on highest settings going forward. 

Do you think that Big Navi can offer better performance than 3090 ?

I hope so

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5