Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Phil @ MicroSoft, at Least Fix This!!!!!!

>MK, what you are describing is definitely a lack a vid mem,>but I think the o.p. is talking about a different issue. >>You can fly over a big city with few if any "special" textured>buildings, and you still get massive slowdowns.>>Sure the textured buildings can choke it out. But the sim>chokes out WITHOUT them too. But with default.xml out of the>picture, the sim runs amazingly well.>>Rhett>Yea, I've only got 128 meg vid ram. I haven't really comparedthe "bare" cities with the default.xml renamed. I tried it, but not for too long, and I always had the scenery complexityat "max". Most of the time I use a default.xml, although latelyI've been using the fs9 version a good bit. 99% of the timethat fs9 file works fairly well, except for almost no trees inthe cities. But...I've had a couple of "reboot bombouts" lately, and today I went back to the original file for a while to see if I still get it. Last night I had one, but the thing is.. My autogenwas turned off.. So it might be something else..Could be my puter, or XP, etc.. I am overclocking at near max for my hardware. Of the big airports I sometimes use, Miami was kind of a problem.10 or less fps usually around the airport. It was bad enough to be a bit stutterish on a takeoff roll.. The reason I use "max" is I lose quite a few of the prominantskyscrapers around town if I reduce it. And it didn't seem to kill me on fps vs reduced complexity..I'll have to try it again with no default.xml to see what I get.MK

Rhett,I can confirm, renaming default.xml brings me a good fps increase as well. I have a saved flight at app. 3000 feet over downtown Seattle and fps shoot from 20-22 to 29-30 when I rename the (in)famous default.xml :)Athlon 64 3500+2Gb Corsair TwinxATI X850XT PERegards,Jure

Guest isagani67

Morning Rhett,Your question about XML- I noticed a very minimal effect (2-3fps)but its hard to tell even tried with the modified XML because at that time I discovered that I was running single channel on the bus memory speed. Its enable now (Dual Channel - 128 bit)and its the same in FSX. Got improvement in FS9 though.Regards,IsaganinForce4-SLI; AMD 4600+ 64X2 Dual; 1GB X 2 DDR400; X1900XTX 512MB; 160GB SATA2 -Maxtor 7200rpm

Guest babua

>As I said, I cannot comment on what is in or out yet, until>the investigations are complete even we dont know yet :-).>>And then there is the issue about MS pre-announce policy and>how creative we have to be to continue the dialog.>>Lets just agree that in a couple weeks I will be back to talk>more on this subject.What exactly is ACES investigating?

Guest cwright

Rhett, I have 2 Gb RAM and removing the file brought a significant frame rate increase, though unfortunately I can't put a figure on it. It's one of my three tweaks.In most cases I use the maximun autogen setting. Of course, if the autogen setting is already low (or off entirely!) then this tweak may not be so effective.Best regards, Chris